WE826 vs Netgear Nighthawk M1 Hotspot

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
andrewh956
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WE826 vs Netgear Nighthawk M1 Hotspot

Post by andrewh956 »

Hello,
I am trying to find the pros and cons between these two LTE routers. What I keep tripping up on is the thought of, "what is so wrong with using a hotspot for a long term router solution?" This is specifically occurring to me with the CAT 16, 4-band CA and 4x4 MIMO functionality that the M1 boasts. Those specs seem to be a dream when comparing to the WE826 and CAT 12 Sierra module. Am I thinking about this wrong? I don't see much fault in the M1, other than the lack of it hosting VPN, or is that possible to get going on that hotspot? Has anyone flashed the M1 to run OpenWRT? Can someone tell me if I am missing something in terms of if a hotspot is viable as a longterm, fixed router (ie, not planning on using it outside of my house)?
BillA

Re: WE826 vs Netgear Nighthawk M1 Hotspot

Post by BillA »

andrewh956 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:54 pm Hello,
I am trying to find the pros and cons between these two LTE routers. What I keep tripping up on is the thought of, "what is so wrong with using a hotspot for a long term router solution?" This is specifically occurring to me with the CAT 16, 4-band CA and 4x4 MIMO functionality that the M1 boasts. Those specs seem to be a dream when comparing to the WE826 and CAT 12 Sierra module. Am I thinking about this wrong? I don't see much fault in the M1, other than the lack of it hosting VPN, or is that possible to get going on that hotspot? Has anyone flashed the M1 to run OpenWRT? Can someone tell me if I am missing something in terms of if a hotspot is viable as a longterm, fixed router (ie, not planning on using it outside of my house)?

Here are some of the advantages of OpenWRT routers over proprietary locked down hotspots.

"Has anyone flashed the M1 to run OpenWRT?" - No, and that's one of the biggest advantages of the OpenWRT routers with an extensive list of features and settings, including OpenVPN or others. Having full control over the radio modem's bands, and the ability to set custom TTL values to bypass certain carrier's tethering/speed restrictions are actually the most important feature for a lot of users. Also, there's a large OpenWRT community online, available to help with any issues you may have, along with constant free firmware upgrades and even new feature requests.

Having separate external antennas for both cellular, and WiFi 2.5/5Ghz can make a huge difference especially in fringe coverage areas. Most OpenWRT routers have 4 or more gigabit ethernet ports, and an easily swappable radio module for future upgrades to 5G and beyond.

Last but not least, OpenWRT routers can usually be bought or custom built for less than proprietary locked down hotspots.

Now, that's not to say that hotspots are bad, in fact they are just fine within certain limits, but are lacking many useful features, and may be throttled by the some carriers.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
It is true that the nighthawk has more power. You can get them unlocked and put any carrier into them by adding an apn. Can also turn off the hot spot function and Hook an Ethernet up to a router from the nighthawk.
The down side to me of the nighthawk is when you need to use outside antennas. One there is no way to check the signal stats as well as you can on the golden orb. And two those ts9 connectors are terrible for good connections. Commonly will just pop off or just not be getting good connection.
But if you where in a very strong area and didn't need outdoor antennas it would be great.
Honestly I always keep one around for road trips and Vaca. Take my data plan card in it when I go.
I don't need ttl settings on my plan. Once got 189 download on it driving down the interstate.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:49 pm Hello,
It is true that the nighthawk has more power. You can get them unlocked and put any carrier into them by adding an apn. Can also turn off the hot spot function and Hook an Ethernet up to a router from the nighthawk.
The down side to me of the nighthawk is when you need to use outside antennas. One there is no way to check the signal stats as well as you can on the golden orb. And two those ts9 connectors are terrible for good connections. Commonly will just pop off or just not be getting good connection.
But if you where in a very strong area and didn't need outdoor antennas it would be great.
Honestly I always keep one around for road trips and Vaca. Take my data plan card in it when I go.
I don't need ttl settings on my plan. Once got 189 download on it driving down the interstate.

As you've said, hotspots are great for a quick connection within good mobile coverage, but with many carriers you need those important TTL settings, otherwise they block or slow down your connection which becomes unusable. While on the Nighthawk M1 you could add external cellular antennas (though a bit flaky), unfortunately there's no way to add external WiFi antennas, which is a must for larger homes with multiple walls or floors to penetrate, or with dozens of devices connected at the same time. Just like not all shoes fit all folks, same with hotspots and routers, each type has its own useful purpose.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

You can connect it to a "real" router with antennas.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:34 pm You can connect it to a "real" router with antennas.

You could connect it to a router for better WiFi, but you're still left with the some iffy cellular antennas, and end up with a hodge-podge of interconnected equipment which can lead to additional latency. Might as well go with a real mobile router such as the WG3526 with an internal modem, 6 antennas, a nice all in one device. ;)
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Over this last weekend changed some of my personal setup. Did have 50' lmr 400 went down to 15' feet. Didn't realize when originally did it about the data loss. Also didn't know about power over Ethernet set ups to shorten cables either.
thanks to swwifty just set up POE twice now looked at his pictures over and over finally decided to try it.
Anyway since we was talking about night Hawks decided to give it a try. And it is working good. Too get around the Hodge podge if double routers I used a POE switch in main floor and a POE spliter to power nighthawk in the attic. (The night hawk WiFi hotspot function is off). Then can hook a computer and the router to the switch without it being messy. [I believe a setup like this shouldn't cause extra latency?]
Now with this being said I did first use a WE826 with a MC7455 to dial in the signal stats. Don't know how to use a night hawk to do that. Once it was dialed in just swapped it out for the night hawk.
This might sound whacky. But thought about trying to solder some TS9 to sma female adapters or jumper wires to the night hawk. To get around the issue of the connectors getting loose or popping out.

Return to “General and Unclassified”