OpenVPN and modemmanager on we826

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
LateParrot

OpenVPN and modemmanager on we826

Post by LateParrot »

Hey all,

Having trouble getting my we826 connected to a VPN and cellular network at the same time. Following build tutorial, I installed the modem manager firmware, got setup and connected fine, The trouble came when I went to connect to a vpn via the openVPN protocol. Attempting to install the "openvpn-openssl" package returns an error code for an unsupported (outdated) kernel. So I went hunting for a newer build and wound up installing 18.06.4 from the openwrt website. Upon learning the "modemmanager" protocol is not baked into the default openwrt builds for the we826, nor is it available as an install-able package, I feel as though I've reached a dead end.

So my questions;

Is there a build of openwrt that has both modemmanager and openvpn installed by default?
Alternatively, is there a way to connect to an LTE network without using the modemmanager protocol?
Do i just need to start compiling my own version of openwrt for the we826?

I know I'm not the first person to run into this issue.
LateParrot

Re: OpenVPN and modemmanager on we826

Post by LateParrot »

After much trial and error I began working on compiling a custom openwrt build. After flashing I ran into a bug where even though both modemmanager-openwrt and luci-proto-modemmanager were installed from their feeds and selected in menuconfig, and make shows compiling them, they aren't added into the sysupdate binary.

Now I realize I'm getting a fair bit out of scope for these forums so I'll head on over to openwrt to figure out if someone has a work-around. If I manage to compile a successful build I'll report back.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Someone mentioned to me yesterday that the modemmanager/qmicli openwrt feed was having issues.
LateParrot

Post by LateParrot »

It didn't function at all in the openwrt master branch, but I've got it working in v18.06.4. I've harvested the ModemScripts directory from the build you've linked in the other subforum but I haven't figured out how to get it to compile into the image. Any tips?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

LateParrot wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:33 pm Any tips?
Nope. I am the wrong person to ask.

I was having a new image compiled for a router we are testing, and my developer was having the same issue, and he has done a large number of them.

I did notice this email this morning:

ModemManager Feed.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LateParrot

Post by LateParrot »

Jim I very much appreciate your responses. Is your developer building these "modem manager" images? I'd like to message the creator of them if at all possible and find out what's required in building a similar image. With the packages available, it's not possible without much further customization as best I can tell.
corywf
Been thanked: 0

Post by corywf »

LateParrot wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:27 pm Jim I very much appreciate your responses. Is your developer building these "modem manager" images? I'd like to message the creator of them if at all possible and find out what's required in building a similar image. With the packages available, it's not possible without much further customization as best I can tell.
I'm having the same problem trying to get the OpenVPN to work. Have you had any success with a custom build?

Return to “General and Unclassified”