NEXQ6GO + EM7565 getting SIM unknown

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
markhagler
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NEXQ6GO + EM7565 getting SIM unknown

Post by markhagler »

Hello
I am new here, forgive me if this is the wrong forum. Here goes..

I purchased a NEXQ6GO router + Sierra EM7565 modem, plus the mini-pci-M2 adapter. It's physically installed, router boots up. It appear to detect the modem, I can see some AT commands in the debug log and the router firmware is showing the modem's IMEI number.

I have inserted the SIM as shown in the pictures into the SIM slot on the side of the router unit but getting no luck with the SIM. The router software page at Modem -> Network status shows IMEI and under that:

SIM IMSI : Unknown
SIM ICCID : Unknown

The debug information page shows some errors:

Code: Select all

Thu Nov 19 14:25:42 2020 : /dev/ttyUSB2 AT+CIMI
ERROR

Thu Nov 19 14:25:44 2020 : /dev/ttyUSB2 AT+CRSM=176,12258,0,0,10
+CME ERROR: unknown

Thu Nov 19 14:25:46 2020 : /dev/ttyUSB2 AT+COPS=0
+CME ERROR: SIM failure
The first SIM I tried is AT&T and is known good, it works fine if I stick it in a Cradlepoint router I have. Tested with another Verizon SIM also working in the Cradlepoint router and get the same error on the NEXQ6GO router.

Any pointers about how to get it to read the SIM properly? I do note the Mini-PCI-M2 adapter I installed inside the router has a SIM slot on it; should I be using that SIM slot instead of the one that's conveniently located on the outside of the router box?

Thanks

M
Didneywhorl

Re: NEXQ6GO + EM7565 getting SIM unknown

Post by Didneywhorl »

If the SIM IMSI shows unknown, then it is not reading the SIM card.

Show us a pic of your SIM inserted in the router.

Also, you can try the SIM slot on the adapter, it should work.
BrandonDillon

Post by BrandonDillon »

Check and see if your SIM card is inserted correctly. I have an identical router and the same errors and just figured it out after seeing your post. Details on mine for comparison here.
markhagler
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by markhagler »

Thanks.. I read your post stating the SIM card's metal contacts should be facing down. However on my NEXQ6GO router, the SIM does not insert fully this way. The only way it inserts fully and clicks into place is with the metal contacts facing up. Same way it's pictured on the product page.

If you put the metal contacts facing down, does the SIM actually click / lock into place?

Here is photos of what mine looks like:
https://imgur.com/rw5Zc5V
https://imgur.com/vuzJVt3

I have not yet tried taking the router apart and trying the internal SIM slot but I will.. although I am hoping thats not the answer as it's inconvenient to have to remove screws and carefully take it apart and not damage the antenna connectors every time I want to swap the SIM!

Thanks

BrandonDillon wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:22 pm Check and see if your SIM card is inserted correctly. I have an identical router and the same errors and just figured it out after seeing your post. Details on mine for comparison here.
BrandonDillon

Post by BrandonDillon »

Just dug my NEXQ6GO out and put in a SIM, it's gold contacts up and sticks out a little just like in your photo. It does click into place though.

CME ERROR 3: operation not allowed
CME ERROR 100: unknown error
CME ERROR 14: SIM busy

Code: Select all

Thu Nov 19 14:25:42 2020 : /dev/ttyUSB2 AT+CIMI
ERROR

Thu Nov 19 14:25:44 2020 : /dev/ttyUSB2 AT+CRSM=176,12258,0,0,10
+CME ERROR: unknown

Thu Nov 19 14:25:46 2020 : /dev/ttyUSB2 AT+COPS=0
+CME ERROR: SIM failure
Our modems are from two different manufacturers but the errors look the same. Which makes me lean towards it being the SIM not getting contact or being detected
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Try the internet cards SIM slot, maybe its interfering. I also like to place a single cut piece of tape on my SIM adapter to make it a tad thicker, this may help the contacts out a little.

I believe on the NEXQ6GO the SIM contacts do face up, the SIM slot is on the bottom of the routers board.

Return to “General and Unclassified”