Help with new setup on t-mobile. WE826 and EP06-A

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
markus8291
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help with new setup on t-mobile. WE826 and EP06-A

Post by markus8291 »

Hi All,

Just recently found out about this forum and got into this world, so I'm very new and don't know what I'm doing. I originally had a MOFI4500 SIM7 which never really worked right. After finding out about The Wireless Haven, I ordered a WE826-GO and a Quectel EP06-A modem. I got them yesterday, installed the modem and set it up per the tutorial. Everything works but it doesn't work as it should. When I run a speedtest (Speedtest.net) I am getting 50-60mbps but every other speedtest gives me less than 1 mbps and my internet is extremely slow.

For some additional information, I have a tower about a mile away and am connected to bands 4 and 12 and am seeing the following:

Signal Information
Network :FDD LTE
CSQ :18
Signal Strength :58%
RSSI :-77 dBm
ECIO :-7 (RSRQ) dB
RSCP : -105 (RSRP) dBm
Connection Monitoring Status :Disabled

Signal could be better but it shouldn't be as slow as it is. On the MOFI, I was getting 35-50mbps on all speedtests, so something is off here.

I originally had TTL set to 65 but disabled that and ran a command I saw posted by Jim in another post:

#start 007 TTL
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
#end 007 TTL

Didn't change anything unfortunately.

Any help to trouble shoot this is much appreciated and happy to answer any questions about my setup/settings.
BillA

Re: Help with new setup on t-mobile. WE826 and EM06-A

Post by BillA »

As far as speed tests, every other one you're running might be using a different remote server, so it's not unusual for speeds to fluctuate significantly. Try this simple Bing speed test which seems to be more stable between runs.
http://www.bing.com/widget/t/speedtest

It's also possible that your modem locks onto the 3G signal, and in order to force it to LTE with no roaming, you could try these commands:

Code: Select all

AT+QCFG="nwscanmode",3,1
AT+QCFG="roamservice",1,1
AT+CFUN=1
Wait a few seconds, restart the router, then run some speed tests.
Which Tmobile plan are you using?
Oomps

Post by Oomps »

If it's any help, I just got setup with T-Mobile on the Magenta phone plan. I will have super varied results on speed tests. Google's, Fast.com or some servers on Speedtest.net will result in less than 1 Mbps while BillA's linked test will display almost 50 up and down. My TTL is set to 65 from the menu settings in OpenWRT
BillA

Post by BillA »

Oomps wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:12 am If it's any help, I just got setup with T-Mobile on the Magenta phone plan. I will have super varied results on speed tests. Google's, Fast.com or some servers on Speedtest.net will result in less than 1 Mbps while BillA's linked test will display almost 50 up and down. My TTL is set to 65 from the menu settings in OpenWRT

Another factor may be that Bing's speed test is running in plain http mode, however its latency results are invalid, always showing 1ms. Most other tests are running in encrypted https mode including SpeedTest.net, which can introduce some overhead and possible filtering attempt by Tmobile's servers. Fast.com being a Netflix speed test, it's sending a video stream which is likely throttled by the carrier's servers just like any other video stream even with HD enabled, thus showing inaccurate speed results.
Another good speed test is to download iTunes preferably using a download manager with multi-sections/segments enabled (FDM, IDM, etc), which will show the true raw speeds.
https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/win64
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Try TTL of 64 what I always used on T-Mobile.
Look at this post about HD streaming on T-Mobile.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=579
markus8291

Post by markus8291 »

BillA wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:34 am As far as speed tests, every other one you're running might be using a different remote server, so it's not unusual for speeds to fluctuate considerably. Try this simple Bing speed test which seems to be more stable between runs.
http://www.bing.com/widget/t/speedtest

It's also possible that your modem locks onto the 3G signal, and in order to force it to LTE with no roaming, you could try these commands:

Code: Select all

AT+QCFG="nwscanmode",3,1
AT+QCFG="roamservice",1,1
AT+CFUN=1
Wait a few seconds, restart the router, then run some speed tests.
Which Tmobile plan are you using?
I tried the bing speed test and that worked great this morning. Problem is that it's so inconsistent. The internet connection that is.

I have the modem set to 4G only. It usually connects to band 4 and sometimes aggregates with 12 but not consistently.
gscheb wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:11 am Hello,
Try TTL of 64 what I always used on T-Mobile.
Look at this post about HD streaming on T-Mobile.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=579
Have tried that as well. Didn't make a difference unfortunately. I will try again and do a complete reboot after.
Oomps wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:12 am If it's any help, I just got setup with T-Mobile on the Magenta phone plan. I will have super varied results on speed tests. Google's, Fast.com or some servers on Speedtest.net will result in less than 1 Mbps while BillA's linked test will display almost 50 up and down. My TTL is set to 65 from the menu settings in OpenWRT
Sounds like we're in the same boat. I originally just added a regular line to my plan and then switched it to a magenta plus tablet plan for that line, hoping it would improve.
Didneywhorl

Re: Help with new setup on t-mobile. WE826 and EP06-A

Post by Didneywhorl »

Send us one more signal info snapshot, like in your orig post, when its being flaky, please.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

markus8291 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:55 pm Just recently found out about this forum and got into this world, so I'm very new and don't know what I'm doing. I originally had a MOFI4500 SIM7 which never really worked right. After finding out about The Wireless Haven, I ordered a WE826-GO and a Quectel EP06-A modem. I got them yesterday, installed the modem and set it up per the tutorial. Everything works but it doesn't work as it should. When I run a speedtest (Speedtest.net) I am getting 50-60mbps but every other speedtest gives me less than 1 mbps and my internet is extremely slow.
When you say that every other speedtest is slow?
Are you saying on speedtest.net every other is slow?
Or different speed tests like fast.com is slow?
And that speedtest.net is always fast?

When you say that your internet is extremely slow?
Are you saying downloading files is slow?
Or you saying that trying to watch video buffers allot?

If speedtest.net is always fast.
If other speedtests like fast.com are always slow.
If you can download files fast.
If you cant seem to watch video.
You might not have HD streaming.
This might be your issue.
markus8291

Post by markus8291 »

gscheb wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:06 am When you say that every other speedtest is slow?
Are you saying on speedtest.net every other is slow?
Or different speed tests like fast.com is slow?
And that speedtest.net is always fast?

When you say that your internet is extremely slow?
Are you saying downloading files is slow?
Or you saying that trying to watch video buffers allot?

If speedtest.net is always fast.
If other speedtests like fast.com are always slow.
If you can download files fast.
If you cant seem to watch video.
You might not have HD streaming.
This might be your issue.
It was every speedtest other than speedtest.net that was slowly. Especially fast.com.

It seems to have resolved itself though. At least mostly. I can definitely tell when the tower is congested but it's all actually working fairly well. Of course today I got the call from t-mobile saying I was chosen for their home internet, so I'll be going that route as I won't have to worry about the amount of data I use or being throttled.
swagr

Post by swagr »

I experianced a very similar thing yesterday. I am not using a Mofy but I am using the WE826 - T2 . I pulled the Sim card out of my iPhone 8 Plus and popped it into the LTE router. After a little bit of being cranky it managed to make a connection and get it self up and running I was only able to get one megabit per second down in about 200 kb per second up. I had the force 4G connection setting enabled. In contrast on my phone just using the regular LTE data connection I am able to get around 50 Mb per second down in 10 Mb per second up. I don’t understand why my phone is able to outperform this particular device. I get only two bars on my phone and in the quick test that I was doing on the LTE router I was at 50% Signal.

I chalked it up to it being a Sim card out of my iPhone and it not being a phone plan and Certainly not a hotspot plan. Phone plans have soft caps and throttle video and only allow unlimited on carrier partners etc. etc. so perhaps it had something to do with it. I have an AT&T Sim card coming in the next day or so which is what I’m ultimately going to be using.

Did you enter in custom APN settings and select your country and all those other settings?

Return to “Internet Service Providers”