Quectel EP06-A bottleneck? + ANTENNA DATA

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
optymyze
Has thanked: 0

Quectel EP06-A bottleneck? + ANTENNA DATA

Post by optymyze »

So, I’m in the process of collecting my own antenna results and on a quest to solve my internet problems. In my preliminary results, I’ve noticed some weird things.

My biggest question: why is my iPhone X consistently getting better download speeds (up to 25mbps) than ANY of my antennas? I have a couple more to test on the way but is it possible upgrading my modem would fix the problem? I’m aware Band 13 only has 2x CA so that shouldn’t be a problem. Also, when I query the modem for CA, I don’t think I’m getting any. But I also don’t know if my iPhone is…

Please help me eliminate whatever I’m bottleneck I’m getting :)

Now, to the first round of results for you data enthusiasts.

In RED I give the network information returned from the router when running all these tests. My theoretical maximum speed with only Band 13, 10mhz channel, 2x2 MIMO, and 16QAM (I’m not sure which QAM I’m getting here) is 50mbps DL, 25mbps UL.

In YELLOW I give the router and modem specs. This router should be able to theoretically max out the theoretical speeds since it has 16 and 64QAM ability, and 2xMIMO, and 2x CA. Though, I don’t know how to tell which QAM I can get from this tower.

In BLUE I have highlighted two things:
1) my iPhone gets consistently better DL speeds than any of the antennas (even up in the 20s - max of 25mbps - when no antenna does).
2) Why would the signal quality with 2 of the ZDA Grids be worse than with 1? Are they interfering with each other? I had them about 2ft apart.

In GREEN, I have highlighted the best results in each category.
And in ORANGE, I highlighted that the boosters are bringing the signal strength way up, but introducing noise as well. The booster did not help with speeds really.

So I have three questions:
1 & 2 from the blue highlighting.
Also, why is that when I use a SureCall signal meter on the 14 dbi Yagi and 15 dbi Grid I can get -65, -64 RSRP but when through the modem?
Didneywhorl

Re: Quectel EP06-A bottleneck? + ANTENNA DATA

Post by Didneywhorl »

There are sooo many variables to account for...

First. Don't compare your cat 16 modem equipped iphone X to your cat 6 Quectel modem in a router that has way more speed limits on it. Apples to orangutans comparison. Your phone will smoke just about anything you can buy.

That said you have to make CERTAIN you are connecting the EXACT same cell tower AND radio on the tower AND channel, if you are going to compare speeds. You have to know where this radio is and optimize the pointing of a directional antenna. The phones radio is AMPED with power on perfectly engineered little antennas, the X750 (and all LTE routers) is/are powered enough, and depend on perfect antenna help.

If your using a pair, as you should be, I would research perfect parabolic grid antenna spacing and offset (+/- 45 degrees, etc.) I do knot know much about them myself, but I have seen people talk of them some.

Signal optimization is tough as hell, but if you know there's more signal to be grabbed, ie using CSQ, SINR, RSRP, etc numbers (like your doing), then at least you know you have room to improve instead of sitting in the dark spinning your wheels, etc, etc.

blah blah blah...

I've yet to see anyone who said, I've used all sorts of high gain antennas and aimed them properly and nothing outperformed using a "booster". NEVER. Even your info shows that the boosters were introducing noise. Some people claim the booster made all the difference in the world, but never answer questions like what did you do before using the booster? Did you use a high gain directional antenna? did you use a pair of antennas or just one? etc etc. Its usually someone who got zero signal and got something with the booster. They tend to be over marketed to make money more than to help people. I think the best use for one is one that is used for a particular freq band and is hooked up on a single large omni-directional antenna. I could be wrong, but that's my observation.

What cables are you using, exactly, and how long? Your info says 750Mhz antennas. What is the actual full range of the antennas? 14-15dbi gain is great.

Your RSRQ numbers seem backwards to your other numbers. But its likely because of the high difference between RSSI and RSRP, as its a calculated number based on those two and some other maths.

I'm not clear on what your asking with the signal meter

Return to “General and Unclassified”