NEXG H721 unable to detect EM7565

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Oomps

NEXG H721 unable to detect EM7565

Post by Oomps »

Hello,

I'm having issues with my NEXG H721 detecting my EM7565. This is my first LTE setup, it's been working like a dream for the past 3 months for my rural internet needs. But after a recent power outage I've been unable to get the router to recognize the modem. I simply get a not-present message in goldenorb version 2018-11-02. I've tried toggling the switch and connecting the modem to the second m.2 port without any luck. Also tried doing a factory reset.

I already ordered a new EM7565, but I'm not entirely sure it's the modem or the router that's broken. I can access everything else fine in GoldenOrb, hence why I'm leaning towards the EM7565 being toasted. I'm also going to get a m.2 to usb adapter to maybe see if the computer will recognize the modem or not.

Does anyone have any possible troubleshooting ideas while I wait for a new EM7565?

Appreciate any help that's provided.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: NEXG H721 unable to detect EM7565

Post by JimHelms »

I believe you are on the correct path to first test the modem behind a PC to determine if it is still operable.

It is very possible that the router and/or modem is victim to either a power surge and/or electrostatic discharge.

I would make sure I was using a “quality” (3 prong with ground) surge protector behind the M2M 12V power adapter. Most APC surge strips have an indicator showing that the outlet is properly grounded. Grounding is very important with all digital electronics and often overlooked.

Are you using external antennas? If so, I would install lightning protectors behind the antennas and make sure the antennas are also properly grounded to channel unwanted ESD voltages safely to a “grounding rod”. A lot of people overlook the importance of this task which is also a requirement of local and national electric codes. ESD can and will impair electrical circuity and damage equipment.
Oomps

Post by Oomps »

Thanks Jim.

I thought I had a quality surge protector attached, but it probably wasn't even though being a big brand name. I got a APC UPS on the way aswell to hopefully prevent future issues. We have frequent power outages so it will come in handy.

I'm not running any external antennas at the moment. Have everything semi-mobile while im still determining the final resting place for the setup. I'll be sure to keep all that in mind when hunting for the best speeds.

Are these the general drivers I should be using for the EM7565 m.2 to usb adapter in a windows pc? https://source.sierrawireless.com/resou ... MquGW.dpbs
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Oomps wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:40 pm
I thought I had a quality surge protector attached, but it probably wasn't even though being a big brand name. I got a APC UPS on the way as well to hopefully prevent future issues. We have frequent power outages so it will come in handy.
Power surges/spikes can be very damaging to electronic devices. I know this from personal experience--two causalities in the same month. haha.

And, I also discovered (the hard way) that when it comes to surge protectors, quality units are nearly always a good investment.
Are these the general drivers I should be using for the EM7565 m.2 to usb adapter in a windows pc? https://source.sierrawireless.com/resou ... MquGW.dpbs
Yes, that is the Windows USB Driver software that allows Windows to communicate with the modem. You can also download it from HERE along with the latest firmware.
Oomps

Post by Oomps »

Jim,

I'm way late to respond because the new modem ended up immediately working, that is until now...

I was having some strange DHCP and DNS issues(would only provide IPv6 leases and random issues with certain domains). I ended up factory resetting, and upon doing so seem to have lost another modem? Nothing changed hardware wise or even removal of power. Have a "not present" modem message again and can't issue AT commands.

Reset many times and updated to latest firmware on the Google drive trough the Breed console, tried putting it in a USB to m.2 adapter and can't get windows to recognize it(maybe I'm missing something here, I have the proper Sierra generic driver but still have issues). Do you have any other suggestions? I'm starting to wonder if the first modem wasn't lost due to power outage but rather the router toasting them. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
bjmc12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by bjmc12 »

i seem to also having dhcp issues
JamesReinhold
Has thanked: 0

Post by JamesReinhold »

I've got an H721 that I built with a EM7565 and it has been rock solid. I hesitate to take it apart and confirm, but it very well might be a H721 v1 board.

I've also recently built the exact same setup, although I had to get the H721 from a different supplier (Czech) - and within about 3 days of use, no more internet. I could still connect to the router via wifi however - modem not present.

I took the modem out and put it in a separate enclosure to connect to my PC - and when I did, Windows didn't recognize it (had already installed the drivers and used this same enclosure to program the modem). Another thing I noted is that I couldn't pick-up an IP address from the LAN ports with an ethernet connection. This build used the H721 v2 board which appears to be eating numerous different air cards - hence the warning on The Wireless Haven now --> NOT RECOMMENDED for use with the M2M NEXG H721 due to this router’s high rate of burn out failures. <-- I can confirm this to be true, lol.

Another tid-bit of information is that the location this was being used at was still under construction and an electrician had been out testing circuits to install appliances....hmmm.

So - my suspicion is that the EM7565 is toast and likely also knocked out the H721 v2 board. I did see on this person's FB page (https://www.facebook.com/LTE-router-168793627174480/) that there is supposedly a H721 v3 board coming out that will support 5G NR M.2 modems. Anyone know where I can get a replacement board :)
BillA

Post by BillA »

JamesReinhold wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:01 pm I did see on this person's FB page (https://www.facebook.com/LTE-router-168793627174480/) that there is supposedly a H721 v3 board coming out that will support 5G NR M.2 modems. Anyone know where I can get a replacement board :)

Why wouldn't the current M.2 to USB enclosure (https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/) support a 5G modem? It's has an M.2 interface with USB3 bus, let us know if you any information to the contrary.

Return to “General and Unclassified”