Upgrade MOFI4500 to EM7565?

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
iceburglar

Upgrade MOFI4500 to EM7565?

Post by iceburglar »

I'm on T-Mobile ( one plus international plans, not sure if theres a better value now )and my phone often has signal from band 66 and/or 71 when the mofi has poor or no signal because it only seems to make use of band 2, 4, and 12 . I understand that the em7565 adds support for band 66 and can be adapted to fit the port inside the mofi. Will it work and make use of band 66 if I install it into the MOFI? Software change/upgrade required?

To utilize 3xCA do you have to connect a third cellular antenna? In the photos of the em7565 I only see three antenna connectors and thought one was for GPS. I wish I could find a wireless module/modem that can utilize band 71 as well and has external antenna jacks
Didneywhorl

Re: Upgrade MOFI4500 to EM7565?

Post by Didneywhorl »

MIMO is the use of multiple antennas.

CA is the use of multiple frequency ranges within a single band, simultaneously.

You can get CA without extra antennas.

I think the telit LM960 uses all the bands you want.

Yes, with the right mPCIe to M.2 key B LTE modem adapter, you can put any m.2 key b form factor modem module in the mofi 4500. Im not certain of support/drivers, but the unit will fit.
iceburglar

Post by iceburglar »

Thanks, I looked into the LM960 and ordered it as well as four MHF4 to SMA pigtails and now ordering two more antennas.

I would like to get this working in the MOFI because I really like having a compact all-in-one package that has the modem, wired ethernet, and wifi. Sounds like the MOFI would bottleneck performance with this module under low network congestion/ good signal conditions. I will be quite pleased if the cellular performance is so good that I become bottlenecked by the 100Mbit ethernet.

I also grabbed the usb3 to mpcie enclosure for experimenting.
BillA

Post by BillA »

iceburglar wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:50 pm Thanks, I looked into the LM960 and ordered it as well as four MHF4 to SMA pigtails and now ordering two more antennas.

I would like to get this working in the MOFI because I really like having a compact all-in-one package that has the modem, wired ethernet, and wifi. Sounds like the MOFI would bottleneck performance with this module under low network congestion/ good signal conditions. I will be quite pleased if the cellular performance is so good that I become bottlenecked by the 100Mbit ethernet.

I also grabbed the usb3 to mpcie enclosure for experimenting.

For testing purposes, you could connect the LM960 in the USB3 enclosure to a pc's USB3 port in order to experience the mobile network's full performance with no bottleneck at the modem port. FYI: The LM960 is being sold in two versions, the first is the unbranded Telit version, and the second is the branded version for various laptop brands. Some branded versions are known to be firmware locked to the laptop's BIOS, and may not work in a mobile router or USB enclosure. Usually the price reflects the version, the more expensive one is unbranded and unlocked, while the cheaper version is most likely the branded locked one. What's the link your ordered from?
Also make sure that the USB3 enclosure comes with an M.2 modem connector inside, because some enclosures which come with an mPCIe connector are known NOT to work with an mPCIe to M.2 adapter for the modem.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

You will definately be bottlenecked by it, but your prepared it seems.

You can always upgrade later.
The zbt wg3526 has gigabit LAN, but also needs an adapter. This bottlenecks throughput to about 400Mbps, in practice, 490Mbps in theory; USB 2.0 Bus speeds due to the adapter.

Antennas are the real hero in getting max use from your equipment.
iceburglar

Post by iceburglar »

Thanks Didney, I will look into the wg3526
BillA wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:48 am For testing purposes, you could connect the LM960 in the USB3 enclosure to a pc's USB3 port in order to experience the mobile network's full performance with no bottleneck at the modem port. FYI: The LM960 is being sold in two versions, the first is the unbranded Telit version, and the second is the branded version for various laptop brands. Some branded versions are known to be firmware locked to the laptop's BIOS, and may not work in a mobile router or USB enclosure. Usually the price reflects the version, the more expensive one is unbranded and unlocked, while the cheaper version is most likely the branded locked one. What's the link your ordered from?
Also make sure that the USB3 enclosure comes with an M.2 modem connector inside, because some enclosures which come with an mPCIe connector are known NOT to work with an mPCIe to M.2 adapter for the modem.
I ordered the LM960 from;
https://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart ... duct=98676
Think it will be locked down? This was one of the most affordable listings I located, probably should have searched longer.

The datasheet for the LM960 indicates the module is mPCIe formfactor , so I had ordered the USB3 enclosure with the mPCIe connector. Are you suggesting I should get the enclosure with m.2 and adapt it to the card or am I misunderstanding?
BillA

Post by BillA »

iceburglar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:43 pm Thanks Didney, I will look into the wg3526

I ordered the LM960 from;
https://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart ... duct=98676
Think it will be locked down? This was one of the most affordable listings I located, probably should have searched longer.

The datasheet for the LM960 indicates the module is mPCIe formfactor , so I had ordered the USB3 enclosure with the mPCIe connector. Are you suggesting I should get the enclosure with m.2 and adapt it to the card or am I misunderstanding?

That looks about right including the price.
Here's another reliable US distributor > https://techship.com/products/telit-lm9 ... -18-mpcie/

Make sure to get a USB3 enclosure with a native mPCIe connector built-in, not an M.2 because some enclosures do not work with an mPCIe to M.2 adapter (it's a hit and miss).
While Telit LM960 uses an mPCIe connector, its antenna connectors are not the old larger U.FL but the smaller MHF4 connectors. Usually modems with mPCIe connectors come with the larger U.FL antenna connectors, but not this one. Also, you'll need 4 antennas and matching connector (aka pigtails) just for the modem alone in order to take advantage of its full MIMO capabilities.
Mtr87
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mtr87 »

Is there a tutorial anywhere on this forum with good step by step photos on upgrading the MOFI modem? I was looking at a way to do this myself and I’m much less experienced in technicals but very much like to tinker.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Mtr87 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:57 pm Is there a tutorial anywhere on this forum with good step by step photos on upgrading the MOFI modem? I was looking at a way to do this myself and I’m much less experienced in technicals but very much like to tinker.

Here's the full step by step tutorial for building/upgrading a WE826.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=233
antons
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by antons »

Hey iceburglar,

Did you have any luck with the upgrade? Considering following your steps to get better(any) CA from my MOFI4500 SIM7

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”