At&t switch bands on modem

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
gurutedd
Been thanked: 0

At&t switch bands on modem

Post by gurutedd »

I have a question about carrier switching bands at night to Band 4. During the day it will switch to Band 2 which is must faster for me. I have locked in band 2 and band 12 and it will still pull band 4 on me. Is there a way to make this stay on band 4 or is the carrier switching me to another tower? I am a noob to this technology, but long time IT Pro.
BillA

Re: At&t switch bands on modem

Post by BillA »

gurutedd wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:33 am I have a question about carrier switching bands at night to Band 4. During the day it will switch to Band 2 which is must faster for me. I have locked in band 2 and band 12 and it will still pull band 4 on me. Is there a way to make this stay on band 4 or is the carrier switching me to another tower? I am a noob to this technology, but long time IT Pro.

If you lock in a single band properly, there's no way for the carrier to switch your modem to another band. Evidently you've still got two or more working bands enabled in your modem, that's why it keeps on switching you. Make sure to calculate those band parameters properly and send the commands accurately followed by a full power cycled of your modem/router.
gurutedd

Post by gurutedd »

If you lock in a single band properly, there's no way for the carrier to switch your modem to another band. Evidently you've still got two or more working bands enabled in your modem, that's why it keeps on switching you. Make sure to calculate those band parameters properly and send the commands accurately followed by a full power cycled of your modem/router.
Bill,

What is the command to lock band 2 and band 12 for At&t for a MC7455. I am guessing I am putting in the wrong commands to make them stick. Locking just one band 2 will that stop carrier aggregation for me?
BillA

Post by BillA »

gurutedd wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:35 pm Bill,

What is the command to lock band 2 and band 12 for At&t for a MC7455. I am guessing I am putting in the wrong commands to make them stick. Locking just one band 2 will that stop carrier aggregation for me?

Normally you shouldn't have to change/lock the bands, since the modem's firmware has been programmed to always seek out the best available signal. If you still wish to play around with it, then use the calculator in this guide:

Sierra Wireless Modems - Programming Carrier Bands
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=364

And here's some more info on AT commands.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33

Also, don't forget to disable 3G by setting the modem to 4G only either by AT commands or in the router's settings, because even if you lock the modem to a single band, it's possible that it could drop back down to 3G on that same channel giving you crappy speeds.

For example, to set it to band 2, enter:
AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!BAND=10,"B2",0,0000000000000002
AT!BAND=10
AT!RESET

To unlock all bands, enter:
AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!BAND=00
AT!RESET
gurutedd

Post by gurutedd »

BillA wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:08 pm Use the calculator in this guide.
Sierra Wireless Modems - Programming Carrier Bands
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=364

And here's some more info on AT commands.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33

Also, don't forget to disable 3G by setting the modem to 4G only either by AT commands or in the router's settings, because even if you lock the modem to a single band, it's possible that it could drop back down to 3G on that same channel giving you crappy speeds.

For example, to set it to band 2, enter:
AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!BAND=10,"B2",0,0000000000000002
AT!BAND=10
AT!RESET

To unlock all bands, enter:
AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!BAND=00
AT!RESET
Thanks for your insight on this. I am still learning.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”