Quectel EM20 Location/High Latency

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Photon
Has thanked: 0

Quectel EM20 Location/High Latency

Post by Photon »

I recently switched to T-Mobile and am now using a quectel em20 as my modem. I'm getting great bandwidth, but for some reason the majority of the time my data is being routed through Denver, CO causing high ping. I live in Kentucky, so I am not sure why it is doing this. Occasionally it routes through Chicago and my ping is great, but I know I probably cant force it to any specific route. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or experience to help alleviate the problem? Even apps that use my location think Im in Denver. My only thought is that maybe I need another antenna for the GPS port on the Quectel? It has 4 ports (M0, M1, M2, D/G), but right now Im only using M0 and M1. If I add an antenna for D/G (Diversity/GNSS) will that help it to use my GPS location to lower ping?
TheBurnsbee

Re: Quectel EM20 Location/High Latency

Post by TheBurnsbee »

It most likely wont help ping but it will get you better download speed and upload. I doubled my speeds by setting up 2 more antenna's recently. My ping didnt change. My setup is much faster so do it if you can. I love the em20, it's easy to work and fast. Im in the middle of nowhere and its as good as i was getting in the city for cheaper.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

I have thought of getting one of these em20 or em16 for my T-Mobile. Just don't know if you have to have certain tower type to support 4x4 mimo? Or are all the towers capable?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Have started a thread myself about T-Mobile and ping. T-Mobile ping used to be really good untill they started changing things. Not sure if it was the spring merger or updating to 5G. Always wondered if maybe 5G T-Mobile would be better.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32 ... 409#p12832
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Photon wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:18 pm I recently switched to T-Mobile and am now using a quectel em20 as my modem. I'm getting great bandwidth, but for some reason the majority of the time my data is being routed through Denver, CO causing high ping. I live in Kentucky, so I am not sure why it is doing this. Occasionally it routes through Chicago and my ping is great, but I know I probably cant force it to any specific route. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or experience to help alleviate the problem? Even apps that use my location think Im in Denver. My only thought is that maybe I need another antenna for the GPS port on the Quectel? It has 4 ports (M0, M1, M2, D/G), but right now Im only using M0 and M1. If I add an antenna for D/G (Diversity/GNSS) will that help it to use my GPS location to lower ping?
Hello was wondering what high ping was to you? Using T-mobile with a MC7455 currently was hoping that maybe a higher cat modem might help with ping.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

TheBurnsbee wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:06 am It most likely wont help ping but it will get you better download speed and upload. I doubled my speeds by setting up 2 more antenna's recently. My ping didnt change. My setup is much faster so do it if you can. I love the em20, it's easy to work and fast. Im in the middle of nowhere and its as good as i was getting in the city for cheaper.
Hello,
Was wondering what bands you are using and how much bandwidth is one them? And how fast it is is typically?
And does anyone know if the Quectel EM160R-GL CAT16 is about the same thing basically?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

gscheb wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:45 pm Hello,
Was wondering what bands you are using and how much bandwidth is one them? And how fast it is is typically?
And does anyone know if the Quectel EM160R-GL CAT16 is about the same thing basically?
So far in my experience it performs the same, but I have moved since I last used my em20 on its best setup so I cant compare 1 to 1.
TheBurnsbee

Post by TheBurnsbee »

Im on band 2 at&t, 15mb tower about 6 miles away. Ping is around 50 to 60, with 4 antennas im hitting 50 to 60 down and 4 to 6 up. Im not sure if its aggregating on its own, ive tried to aggregate with at commands and gave error code. So i left it on band 2 until i take some time to mess with it again and try some other at commands.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”