USB tether US Verizon post paid, now only WiFi hotspoting works

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Infector944
Has thanked: 0

USB tether US Verizon post paid, now only WiFi hotspoting works

Post by Infector944 »

I have no idea which forum to post this in.... my apologies if this is wrong.

Little background, I set up an old phone (SMG930v) using BillA's guide...
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=10303#p10303
I added a line on a post paid family plan (was this a mistake?)

It worked pretty well for a half a day (reliable 60/5Mbps sitting in my window), now the phone will no longer let me do a USB tether (either PC or WG1608 with GoldenOrb_2020-06-10) this is with hotspot data available. I can wifi hotspot bridge still.

Could my SMG930v be snitching on me? it's stock Verizon firmware?

I guess I'm e-stalking BillA, I just came across a January post on XDA forums (same SN) for Rooting the Snapdragon variant of the SMG930v I'm waiting the 6hrs to DL the image and I will see how that goes.
Link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpo ... count=1850

==================================

Basic questions: this is for US Verizon post paid (if that matters)

1. For TTL settings: (is 117 correct TTL for Verizon post paid?)
2. For APN: VZWINTERNET (is that correct?)

3. Do I want the PC to return a 117 TTL in command prompt on pings? Or the internal router's http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci/admin/network/diagnostics to return 117 on pings?
My PC is consistently 1 unit less than the router's internal diagnostic ping TTL results (ie, 116)

4. Do I need to drop this line from my family plan to insulate my other lines from these Shenanigans?

5. Does my Snapdragon variant SMG930v need to be rooted for this to even have a chance of this working, is the phone snitching on me?

6. Should I wait till I get my EP06-a working in a GoldenOrb router before continuing? I have a WG1608 which i incorrectly assumed had support for both M.2 and mPCI-e. I'm going to order up a MikrotiK RMB33G to use with my EP06-a

===================

I'm super new to this world, and I would greatly appreciate hand holding / head patting or words of encouragement.
I find myself out in the country as so many others have, with no good internet options: slow GeoSta Sat, 650$/month 10/10Mbps AT&T corporate fiber backbone (plus delivery of infrastructure), a bunch of 15GB Verizon LTE hotspot plans, or the Wireless Joint method.

I have some monthly budget but not 650$/month lol, some initial capital left in budget, I still need an antenna setup and either a new Modem card or a new router and a mast enclosure for the router. I honestly have more time than dollars, thx to COVID.

Thank you for reading my ramblings, I hope someone out in Wireless Joint land can lend me some knowledge, or slap me because I'm being dumb. I could really use it.
Happy to talk offline if that is allowed by the TOS of the board, it's my user name at yahoo.com, I'm not sure if board PMs work.

-Trying to stay positive

Maybe I'll cross post this over on the FB forum.
tvecell

Re: USB tether US Verizon post paid, now only WiFi hotspoting works

Post by tvecell »

> now the phone will no longer let me do a USB tether (either PC or WG1608 with GoldenOrb_2020-06-10)

what do you mean? you get an error? the option is greyed out? you can set it up but no traffic flows?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Did you put this in the router to tether it?

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 117
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j HL --hl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j HL --hl-set 117
#end TTL rules
Infector944

Post by Infector944 »

gscheb: I did change the custom firewall settings for usb0 as you indicated. However, I tried both 65 and 117 (not simultaneously). I don't know which is correct, over on FB, someone mentioned that anything under 65 is proper.

tvecell: in the Router is just shows connecting under the modem/network status page. Today I'm able to get to the internet through USB tether on my Win10 PC (with a different cable)
Clipboard01.jpg
I will try to change out my USB cable as this could be an issue. (edit: cable didn't matter, still just hangs on connection)

I've set my APN as VZWINTERNET, are there any other settings I've neglected?
I followed BillA's post here
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=22 ... 59cf#p8938
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Infector944

Post by Infector944 »

Just changed my TTL to 66 (from 65) although I'm still not able to use the USB hotspot (wireless hotspot works), I can now test out at unthrottled speeds on fast.com so that's something.

the br-lan lines locked the ttl to the router to 65
the usb lines don't do anything because I can USB tether
wwan doesn't seem to do anything either

Current FW rules: (I know there's some redundancy, it didn't seem to break anything though)

Code: Select all

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 66
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 66

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 66
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 66

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wlan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 66
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wlan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 66

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o br-lan -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i br-lan -j TTL --ttl-set 65

Infector944

Post by Infector944 »

So it occurred to me that not having a cap on Netflix means that it thinks I'm using hotspot data. Since mobile data is capped at 5Mbps or so. No idea if this is correct.

I set it back down to 65 across the board. Still can't get the dang usb drivers to work in Rooter though.
Infector944

Post by Infector944 »

pushed ~200Gb through the phone's wifi hotspot last month. Still cant get USB to work.

Had to power cycle the router a couple times but it's been pretty solid @ ~50 x 3Mbps the entire time. Already 80Gb this month.

I must be on a very under utilized tower because I haven't noticed any de-prioritization
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Infector944 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:18 am Still cant get USB to work.
What does it do? How does it not work?
Have a Moto Z3 and it works fine.
Have a Pixel 5 and it has an error says "failure to authenticate" pops up on the phone screen.
Tried an Iphone and it wouldn't do it either.
I have the lowest tiered Verizon plan "start unlimited" with no hotspot data at all.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”