Zbt wg1608 cheap 4g modem recommendations

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Edredunited

Zbt wg1608 cheap 4g modem recommendations

Post by Edredunited »

Hi, I have never built a modem/router before and am looking for some advice. I have bought a zbt wg1608 5g ready router but am still trying to find the best module to use with it. Zbt only sell the LTE queltel em12-g for $98 or 5g quectel rm500q for $317. I just want a 300mps 4g LTE module to start with so I can test the router before buying the Rm500q a year or so down the line, so after some searching I have found Dell branded Sierra em7455 for less than $20. Can anyone tell me if this Dell module would be compatible with the zbt wg1608? Also any link to a guide for this installation or any help would be really appreciated. Thanks
Didneywhorl

Re: Zbt wg1608 cheap 4g modem recommendations

Post by Didneywhorl »

The RM500Q-AE is what you want for 5G imo. Its the NSA version I've recently been told by user BillA. I would wait for the Quectel EM160. Its cat 16 4G with 4x4 MIMO.

If you just want a cheap LTE modem that does the job, then look at teh Quectel EP06, or some SIMCOM equivilents.
modest
Has thanked: 0

Post by modest »

I'd go for the Sierra EM7565. It's a Cat 12 LTE modem (Qualcomm Snapdragon X12) with much broader LTE band support. Similar US carrier acceptance. Easy access to drivers, docs, firmware updates, etc. M.2 form factor.

The RM500Q-GL is a risky bet since it's not even trying to get US certifications. Waiting on the RM500Q-AE or RM502Q-AE would be a safer bet.
Infector944
Has thanked: 0

Post by Infector944 »

You are going to want a m.2 interface modem for that wg1608, like an Em06 or better.

I've got an ep06-a useless next to my wg1608, currently tethering a phone to it to connect a WAN.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Edredunited wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:50 am Hi, I have never built a modem/router before and am looking for some advice. I have bought a zbt wg1608 5g ready router but am still trying to find the best module to use with it. Zbt only sell the LTE queltel em12-g for $98 or 5g quectel rm500q for $317. I just want a 300mps 4g LTE module to start with so I can test the router before buying the Rm500q a year or so down the line, so after some searching I have found Dell branded Sierra em7455 for less than $20. Can anyone tell me if this Dell module would be compatible with the zbt wg1608? Also any link to a guide for this installation or any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

5G connectivity depends on several factors, so gotta make sure that all the following criterias are met.

1. The modem variant has to match the carrier you're using in your country (ex. RM500Q-AE for NSA bands in the US / RM500Q-GL for SA/NSA bands in most other countries). Unfortunately while the RM500Q-GL is sold as as "global" version, it's missing important US 5G NSA bands (only has SA - Stand-Alone, no NSA - Non-Stand-Alone), therefore it will mostly work in LTE and possibly in crippled 5G mode. Here's a confirmation about the models by a Quectel tech:
https://forums.quectel.com/t/rm500q-gl- ... ur/6221/18

2. While carriers might offer 5G, it's not always available on all their plans. For example, 5G access is free on Tmobile, but on ATT and Verizon there's an extra monthly cost. Check with them to make sure that your plan includes 5G access at no additional cost or might have to pay extra for it. In fact AT+QENG="Servingcell" could be showing 5G connectivity, yet the carrier/plan won't actually allow an active data channel.

3. In 5G NSA mode, the modem normally idles in LTE mode, and will only connect to 5G during large data transfers in CA mode (CA - Carrier Aggregation) controlled exclusively by the carrier's tower .

Here's a list of 5G modems with detailed specs at the end of this post:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10 ... 7661#p7661

Return to “General and Unclassified”