WG1608 is kicking my ass

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Infector944
Has thanked: 0

WG1608 is kicking my ass

Post by Infector944 »

I tried to go my own way, and I'm failing. I purchased a WG1608 and an EP06-a modem from ebay.

On Verizon I get about 50/5Mbps on my cell phone hot spot when I leave it in a window.

The WG1608 showed up with only an M.2 slot and not both m-PCI-e and m.2 I can't get the USB mPCI-e adapter to be recognized in the router either.
I soldered an mPCI-e socket on to the 1608's board but burn off 3 solder pads (because I refused to use a magnifying glass, and I'm an idiot) so now that's not going to work.

I have never been able to get any kind of reliable firmware working on the WG1608 and I'm at my wits end. Tried GO 6-10 / 6-14 and Open WRT I keep getting web GUI time outs and I can't access every config page either.

Those that are running a WG1608, what have you done to get a functional router, and what FW are you runing.

I just want to get a Verizon cell phone plan and run the EP06-a and get about 50/5Mbps like I can with my cell hotspot. I have a robust LAN at the house with Ruckus WAPs so I don't even need WiFi. Just need something that's got SMA antennas for a 2x MIMO array, and a place for my mPCI-e CAT6 modem. My plan is to eventually run the router on the mast with a POE splitter. As a proof of concept I'm going to set the router up in a window location where I leave my phone for hot-spotting, until I get a month or 2 of stable operation I'm not going to invest in the antenna and enclosure.

Should I keep the modem and Router and just try to get the things working? I feel like tossing the entire setup into the Bay.

By the time I get this setup working SpaceX will probably be available.

I appreciate your response/advice, I'm out of my depth in this situation.
Infector944

Re: WG1608 is kicking my ass

Post by Infector944 »

I'm thinking about getting a RBM33G...

I've used Mikrotik products in the past. Not with custom firmware though.
toddw

Post by toddw »

I would plug your ep06a into this and use the USB slot on the 1608 you bought.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/
Infector944

Post by Infector944 »

toddw wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:32 am I would plug your ep06a into this and use the USB slot on the 1608 you bought.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/
I have a usb adapter that works in my PC for the EP06-a, however I dont know how to make the 1608 recognize the modem.
Infector944

Post by Infector944 »

OK I got my USB adapter to work, and now the router sees my Modem!

I'm still very unfamiliar with this firmware so I hadn't installed any software packages.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Infector944 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:13 pm OK I got my USB adapter to work, and now the router sees my Modem!

I'm still very unfamiliar with this firmware so I hadn't installed any software packages.

There's nothing else to install, under Modems select the proper usb modem, set the APN/TTL and test away.
To make sure that the router is communicating with the modem, go to Modems > Miscellaneous and send a couple of "AT" commands by itself, and you should get and "OK" response. If there's no response, you'll need to fix the connection before you can go online.
If unable to connect to the network, delete the APN (leave it blank) Save&Apply, restart the router, wait at least 5 minutes, then test again. Several users haver reported that leaving the APN empty actually works.

By the way, here's the latest WG1608 firmware dated 2021-01-15
https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/W ... -01-15.zip
Infector944

Post by Infector944 »

Thank's BillA

I have followed your USB teather guide with an old phone. I've been up and running with that. I actually just updated the FW this past weekend.

Return to “General and Unclassified”