LTE hotspot help

HOTSPOT Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Edavis33
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LTE hotspot help

Post by Edavis33 »

I have unlimited hotspot through t mobile. The plan came with a Franklin T9 modem. It is not very fast where I live. This is my only option for internet where I live. I don’t know anything about this stuff. Will a different hotspot increase my speeds? Would something like a nighthawk or mofi increase my speeds?
gscheb

Re: LTE hotspot help

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
When you say this is the only option you have do you mean cellular data or T-Mobile period?
Who do you have this plan thru?
Is it T-Mobile directly?

Speeds are low but how low are we talking?

That modem you have is a very low end one.
Here is a video about your device.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... ze__BEO7hH

Here is a video about why different devices matter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxsEEDsgM3c

After you understand this you need to find towers and what carriers they have and look into antennas. That is how you will get more speed.
Better signal strength with more Modem power.

Answer some of these questions and people will start to help more.
Good luck
Edavis33
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Edavis33 »

The T-Mobile hotspot is about the only option I have for internet. I purchase through a school program because of the school I teach at is a low income school. We only pay $50 a month for unlimited data and no throttle or caps. Some of the money goes to the local school with the other going to T-Mobile. The speeds I am getting at best times are 8mbs download with about 2-3 mbs upload. Most of the time I am only getting around 3-4 download and only around 1 upload.

There are other towers by my Verizon phone gets around 50mbs download and 20 upload.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Ok
If you are wanting to keep the T-Mobile plan and make it faster need to find the T-Mobile tower. Do you know it is? Can find it here.
https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=310& ... lours=true
Then if you go on Google maps can do a measure on there to see how far away it is and what side the house it is on.
If you haven't tried yet might be possible to just put it on a window on that side to get little better signal.
Since this devise doesn't have antenna ports that is all you can do with it. Do any more than that will to be moved to another modem that has antenna ports.
Do you know if you can move it? Is it somehow locked to that since it is in a special program?

Return to “General and Unclassified”