Need Helping advice

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Drandovich
Been thanked: 0

Need Helping advice

Post by Drandovich »

I am fixing to have to move to a very rural area (satellite only net) i have been trying to learn all this LTE net stuff. My Question tho is will a Nighthawk mr1100 unlocked work with a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 modem router? Or would a all in one modem/router cause problems? Also im going to be 0.87 miles away from a At&t tower any suggests in plans for this? any all help will be greatly appreciated.
BillA

Re: Need Helping advice

Post by BillA »

Drandovich wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:54 am I am fixing to have to move to a very rural area (satellite only net) i have been trying to learn all this LTE net stuff. My Question tho is will a Nighthawk mr1100 unlocked work with a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 modem router? Or would a all in one modem/router cause problems? Also im going to be 0.87 miles away from a At&t tower any suggests in plans for this? any all help will be greatly appreciated.

Generally the all-in-one router/modem combos are easier to set up, though you could use a Nighthawk AC1900 with and external modem, it will likely not work with a Nighthawk MR1100 since ATT is clamping down on modem use. An alternative is to tether a phone via usb to the router flashed with OpenWRT firmware such as GoldenOrb or WiFix, in order to be able to set the TTL and bypass ATT's imei restrictions.
Drandovich

Post by Drandovich »

Thanks alot Bill. I know TTL is suppose to be 64-65. Could you recommend a Modem router setup for say 3 Cat5 cables and maybe 3 wireless connections?
BillA

Post by BillA »

Drandovich wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:30 pm Thanks alot Bill. I know TTL is suppose to be 64-65. Could you recommend a Modem router setup for say 3 Cat5 cables and maybe 3 wireless connections?

Take a look at this post. > https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6272#p6272

By 3 wireless connections, do you mean to combine them all for higher throughput? (aka channel bonding)
Currently OpenWRT router can only do load balancing, meaning that if one connection goes down the other will take over. For true channel bonding you need a dedicated bonding router such as a Peplink device.
Here's the Peplink Balance-20 with up to 3 WAN ports to load-balance/channel-bond wireless connections:
https://www.amazon.com/Peplink-Balance- ... B0042210U6
travismeek
Has thanked: 0

Post by travismeek »

An alternative is to tether a phone via usb to the router flashed with OpenWRT firmware such as GoldenOrb or WiFix, in order to be able to set the TTL and bypass ATT's imei restrictions.
I am new to all of this and quite desperate atm.. I have the WE826-t2 currently flashed to openwrt 18.06 branch (git 20.029.49294-41e2258) / GoldenOrb_2020-03-01. I did backup the previous flash which was the wifix I believe. I had the AT&T apple tablet plan working great running from Dec to a couple weeks ago. I just plugged the related sim card in and I think I made a custom profile with a ipad imei and entered it. Anyways I would like to emphasize how lost I am getting and the more I try and figure it out the more I am getting confused. I have read, posted, asked questions, purchased more equipment, signed up for more plans etc etc and finally broke down and called AT&T support. The answer simply my sim was not in an apple device and put it in an apple device and it will work. So I believe your alternative above is my missing piece of the puzzle. Apparently I am also ignorant and didn't realize there were gray areas being left out of my information I had researched. So I am desperate and need to know what to do. If someone is willing to pm me or send me somewhere to can give me the missing piece of the puzzle.. I would fall to my knees in gratitude.. If i need to buy something or whatever I am ready and willing.

I have also purchased 2 Huawei B310s-518 Unlocked 4G LTE CPE 150 Mbps Mobile Wi-Fi Router (4G LTE in USA Latin & Caribbean Bands) + Rj45 Up to 32 Users and got a $65 AT&T unlimited data phone plan and activated the sim. The only caveat is that AT&T and cricket is the only options I can find available to me here.
BillA

Post by BillA »

travismeek wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:48 pm I am new to all of this and quite desperate atm.. I have the WE826-t2 currently flashed to openwrt 18.06 branch .
If someone is willing to pm me or send me somewhere to can give me the missing piece of the puzzle.. I would fall to my knees in gratitude.. If i need to buy something or whatever I am ready and willing.

I have also purchased 2 Huawei B310s-518 Unlocked 4G LTE CPE 150 Mbps Mobile Wi-Fi Router (4G LTE in USA Latin & Caribbean Bands) + Rj45 Up to 32 Users and got a $65 AT&T unlimited data phone plan and activated the sim. The only caveat is that AT&T and cricket is the only options I can find available to me here.

Currently there are known issues with the ATT $65/$75 plans not working in modems.
You can find some alternative carriers here which should work in your router.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790
travismeek
Has thanked: 0

Post by travismeek »

BillA wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:23 am Currently there are known issues with the ATT $65/$75 plans not working in modems.
You can find some alternative carriers here which should work in your router.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790
TY Bill, I believe that was the missing key to my puzzle. My only options are AT&T and Cricket that I know of. Which means 0 options.. #heartbreaking. Guess I'll look for a T-Mobile tower point the Yagi's and pray.
An alternative is to tether a phone via usb to the router flashed with OpenWRT firmware such as GoldenOrb or WiFix, in order to be able to set the TTL and bypass ATT's imei restrictions.
Could you point me to the Step by step, full hd, color by numbers and Mr Rogers Neighborhood taught version of the USB tether tutorial? I will beg if you need me to.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”