External Antenna for CBA850LP6 mounted inside Motorhome

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
LarryJB
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

External Antenna for CBA850LP6 mounted inside Motorhome

Post by LarryJB »

I just purchased a Cradlepoint CBA850LP6 and have it mounted inside my motorhome. Currently I am using the 2 paddle antennas that came with it and they are working. However, I feel it could be even better with an external antenna mounted on the roof of the motorhome. Not only would I use it parked at the campground, but also I would want it to work in travel mode as well. I am looking for recommendations for a good Antenna for this application. I am using the AT&T Connected Car SIM card if that matters.

I apologize if this has already been answered but I couldn't find it.
terryjett

Re: External Antenna for CBA850LP6 mounted inside Motorhome

Post by terryjett »

LarryJB wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:37 pm I just purchased a Cradlepoint CBA850LP6 and have it mounted inside my motorhome. Currently I am using the 2 paddle antennas that came with it and they are working. However, I feel it could be even better with an external antenna mounted on the roof of the motorhome. Not only would I use it parked at the campground, but also I would want it to work in travel mode as well. I am looking for recommendations for a good Antenna for this application. I am using the AT&T Connected Car SIM card if that matters.

I apologize if this has already been answered but I couldn't find it.
Have never used these types of antennas, but see no reason why would not work well for your requirements:

Only one of these required:

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... o-antenna/

Two of these would be required:

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... -sma-male/

Since I like two antennas with separation, I would choose the second option but that is just preference. Plus like RG58U coax better:)

thewirelesshaven store seems to be closed right now, but let's hope it opens soon since many people are now working from home...
LarryJB
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by LarryJB »

First, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.
I am new at all this so I still have some basic questions. Could you expand a little on why you like the 2 antennas with separation and the RG58U coax better? Also, how far should the separation be between the 2 antennas?

I also had this one recommended: https://www.amazon.com/Poynting-MIMO-3- ... 188&sr=8-6 Any thoughts?
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

LarryJB wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:16 am First, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.
I am new at all this so I still have some basic questions. Could you expand a little on why you like the 2 antennas with separation and the RG58U coax better? Also, how far should the separation be between the 2 antennas?

I also had this one recommended: https://www.amazon.com/Poynting-MIMO-3- ... 188&sr=8-6 Any thoughts?
You are very welcome!

I am ole guy with a cellular background starting in the late 80's. Basically a dinosaur, lol. The more antennas the better... Not really and lets get serious...

Without getting all technical and in laymen terms: I think two separated antennas in a mobile environment simply out perform combined antennas in one small space/package. There will be a 1000 people who disagree and some will have great/valid points (PLUS technology has come a long ways). Cellular signals in todays frequency ranges bounce around a lot and having two antennas makes better sense to ME.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with having a combined package for 4GLTE MIMO (multiple in multiple out). The one you show from Amazon is no doubt a well engineered antenna from a respected company.

As for separating distances for two antennas, I will leave that up to the manufacturer to provide. You will find 1000 opinions on the subject and best left to people selling the antenna(s). Basic rule of thumb I use is one meter apart.

There are many difference types of 50ohm coax. RG58U is a little better than RG174 when coming to signal loss. The less signal loss you have, the better performance you get. At higher cellular frequencies high loss cable is a no no. Do some research with google by typing in "coax loss cellular frequencies".
BillA

Post by BillA »

terryjett wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:09 am You are very welcome!

I am ole guy with a cellular background starting in the late 80's. Basically a dinosaur, lol. The more antennas the better... Not really and lets get serious...

Basically what Terry is saying, is that his antenna is BIGGER than yours. lmao jk
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Basically what Terry is saying, is that his antenna is BIGGER than yours. lmao jk
HAHAHA, lmao!

Return to “Cellular Antennas”