asking for some help with turning LTE into home internet with netgear lb1120

HOTSPOT Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Power_Houser
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

asking for some help with turning LTE into home internet with netgear lb1120

Post by Power_Houser »

Greetings everyone! stumbled onto this forum today and looks like just the place i'm looking for!

So iv'e been using my phone's hotspot for internet for the pas couple years and although its worked better than anything else iv'e had, i don't want to destroy my phone's (and future phones) battery any more than i have to. i would also like all the advantages of actual home internet. iv'e been to reddit, xda developers, youtube and here to a lesser extent seeking all of this knowledge and trying to compile it all for me to understand since i'm not too knowledgeable on networking of any kind.

As said in the title i purchased a Netgear lb1120, i plan to pair this with the ATT unlimited tablet plan, if i can still get it that is. then with a netgear nighthawk 7900p (got it for basically nothing is only reason why i have it). i just want to cover my tracks as thoroughly as i can to make it look like i'm not using a modem,router, nor hotspot. so my questions are as follows:

1) since this plan is made for a tablet, is there a way to spoof the IMEI on this modem to match an IMEI of the one i give ATT? or is this even necessary?

2) ive been trying to read a lot about changing the TTL, do i have to do this for only the modem? or the modem and router? or the entire network? this router doesn't seem to be DD-WRT capable and iv'e seen ways of using CMD, but is that way permanent?

3) is disguising the modem and router as a tablet via TTL enough or do i need a VPN to aid me as well?

4)i saw in another topic someone wrote that using a GLI MT300N TTL patch could be useful, would it be in my case? if so, is there a guide for this somewhere?

5) would i need any specific settings, or APN settings for this model modem for optimal performance?

6) i used cellmapper and found the tower nearest me uses 12, and 17 what does this mean for me?

i'm pretty sure t hat was everything i was curious about. iv'e been trying to read up on all this for the past week or so and my vision impairment doesn't make it much easier on me either :lol: to anyone that can shed even the smallest bit of help will be greatly appreciated! and thank you to everyone here in advance!
BillA

Re: asking for some help with turning LTE into home internet with netgear lb1120

Post by BillA »

Just a heads up, changing imei in the US is illegal. Having said that, you do whatever you want, it's your freedom.
There are legal ways to use the ATT iPad/tablet plan as outlined in this post.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18 ... 4483#p4483

Basically you could tether a tablet/phone to a WE826, WG352, or a tiny GLI MT300N box via WiFi or USB, converting the tablet/phone's internet to ethernet which can be connected to any router via an ethernet cable (ex Netgear, Asus, WE826, WG352, etc). Use your imagination. USB tethering is preferred due to it's lower latency plus it charges the tablet/phone at the same time.

However, even with tethering, ATT seems to have imposed an arbitrary data limit (according to reports), where they will disconnect your service after a certain amount of gigs used, citing their "Fair Use" TOS policy. Your mileage may vary.

Another solution is to simply switch to a carrier which doesn't impose those restrictions. Here's list of prepaid services:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790
Power_Houser
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: asking for some help with turning LTE into home internet with netgear lb1120

Post by Power_Houser »

BillA wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:13 pm Just a heads up, changing imei in the US is illegal. Having said that, you do whatever you want, it's your freedom.
There are legal ways to use the ATT iPad/tablet plan as outlined in this post.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18 ... 4483#p4483
Basically you could tether a tablet/phone to a tiny GLI MT300N box, converting the tablet/phone's usb internet to ethernet which can be connected to any router (ex Netgear, Asus, WE826, WG352, etc). Use your imagination.
Even if you manage to do all that, ATT seems to have imposed an arbitrary data limit (according to reports), where they will disconnect your service after a certain amount of gigs used, citing their "Fair Use" TOS policy. Your mileage may vary.
Another solution is to simply switch to a carrier which doesn't impose those restrictions. Here's list of prepaid services:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790

thank you for the reply! lloks like i have some more research to do, thank you for your help!

Return to “General and Unclassified”