Setup for sprint

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
saw2645
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Setup for sprint

Post by saw2645 »

I’m looking at setting up a device for using sprint service. Does the EM06 work right out of the box on sprint or does this need to be provisioned in order to work? From what I can see it looks like sprint uses bands 41, 25 and 26, which if I am reading correctly is supported on this modem. I was planning to try it in the https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/ I got here. Connected to a netgear R7800 on rooter.

What kind of problems will I have? I had the EM20 in it, but never got it to stay connected reliably(using ATT)
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Setup for sprint

Post by JimHelms »

saw2645 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:46 pm I’m looking at setting up a device for using sprint service. Does the EM06 work right out of the box on sprint or does this need to be provisioned in order to work? From what I can see it looks like sprint uses bands 41, 25 and 26, which if I am reading correctly is supported on this modem. I was planning to try it in the https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/ I got here. Connected to a netgear R7800 on rooter.

What kind of problems will I have? I had the EM20 in it, but never got it to stay connected reliably(using ATT)
I am not aware of anyone who has tested the EM06 on Sprint, but it does have the bands for Sprint and I see no reason why it would not work. The EM12-G and EM20-G both work rather well with Sprint.

As for your R7800/EM20 with the USB3 to M.2 adapter enclosure, you may try adding a second cable to the aux power port on the enclosure, or using a USB Y cable, or a USB Power hub.

The lack of insufficient voltage and/or amps to power the enclosure and modem will cause connection issues, and have been discussed on the forum on numerous occasions.
radec

Post by radec »

I have been using the EM06-A with Sprint for a little over a month now. It has been working great, very stable. I am using it in a WE826-T2 router with the WiFIX version of GoldenORB.

I have not gotten band 41 to work but I think that has more to do with my location and antenna setup then anything else. I have a lot of trees between me and the tower.

I didn't have to do anything special to get it working, except put the modem in LTE only mode and set the APN to r.ispsn. Putting the modem in LTE only could have more to do with my service provider though, my plan only includes LTE so if the modem falls back to 3g I wont get service. (that's my basic understanding anyway).

I have not tried any other versions of the router firmware besides the WiFIX (GoldenOrb_2019-11-16) one.

hope this helps!

edit: words
saw2645

Post by saw2645 »

JimHelms wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:47 am I am not aware of anyone who has tested the EM06 on Sprint, but it does have the bands for Sprint and I see no reason why it would not work. The EM12-G and EM20-G both work rather well with Sprint.

As for your R7800/EM20 with the USB3 to M.2 adapter enclosure, you may try adding a second cable to the aux power port on the enclosure, or using a USB Y cable, or a USB Power hub.

The lack of insufficient voltage and/or amps to power the enclosure and modem will cause connection issues, and have been discussed on the forum on numerous occasions.
Thanks for the reply, yes I had to add the auxiliary cable right off the start. But that does not mean I’m doing it right, lol. I was using the power supply right off of the R7800 usb, I will try moving it to a separate supply. Thanks again.
saw2645

Post by saw2645 »

radec wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:42 am I have been using the EM06-A with Sprint for a little over a month now. It has been working great, very stable. I am using it in a WE826-T2 router with the WiFIX version of GoldenORB.

I have not gotten band 41 to work but I think that has more to do with my location and antenna setup then anything else. I have a lot of trees between me and the tower.

I didn't have to do anything special to get it working, except put the modem in LTE only mode and set the APN to r.ispsn. Putting the modem in LTE only could have more to do with my service provider though, my plan only includes LTE so if the modem falls back to 3g I wont get service. (that's my basic understanding anyway).

I have not tried any other versions of the router firmware besides the WiFIX (GoldenOrb_2019-11-16) one.

hope this helps!

edit: words
Thank you for the info, gives me an option to try if I can not figure out this EM20-G.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”