Help with LTE modem build for RV

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
spkymky
Been thanked: 0

Help with LTE modem build for RV

Post by spkymky »

Hello, I've been doing a load of research trying to figure out the best hardware to get for my needs. I'm looking for a LTE modem setup to use for a desktop computer (Win 10) in a converted van. I will be utilizing Visible and possibly AT&T service. The EM7565 seems to be the best modem option to allow the most flexibility of carrier support based on the bands provided. I however am torn on whether I should get a usb enclosure or a WE826-T2 router for the modem. I do not need wi-fi, as the only device I care to have connected is my desktop, so it seems wasteful to grab the WE826-T2 but I'm not sure if I will have limitations (such as control of TTL and other parameters to have the data metered as mobile and not hotspot data). If it is possible to get a usb enclosure for the EM7565 and keep the ability to change parameters, what would you recommend? Since this is in a metal van, is it possible/advisable to get antennas with an extension/long leads so I can place them near a window or on top of the roof? I apologize in advance if I'm off the mark completely, new to wireless hardware.

Thanks!
BillA

Re: Help with LTE modem build for RV

Post by BillA »

spkymky wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:44 am Hello, I've been doing a load of research trying to figure out the best hardware to get for my needs. I'm looking for a LTE modem setup to use for a desktop computer (Win 10) in a converted van. I will be utilizing Visible and possibly AT&T service. The EM7565 seems to be the best modem option to allow the most flexibility of carrier support based on the bands provided. I however am torn on whether I should get a usb enclosure or a WE826-T2 router for the modem. I do not need wi-fi, as the only device I care to have connected is my desktop, so it seems wasteful to grab the WE826-T2 but I'm not sure if I will have limitations (such as control of TTL and other parameters to have the data metered as mobile and not hotspot data). If it is possible to get a usb enclosure for the EM7565 and keep the ability to change parameters, what would you recommend? Since this is in a metal van, is it possible/advisable to get antennas with an extension/long leads so I can place them near a window or on top of the roof? I apologize in advance if I'm off the mark completely, new to wireless hardware.

Thanks!

An external usb enclosure for the modem works great if connected to an OpenWRT router, but not so much when connected to a pc. Here's why:
You will have to supply external power to the box (draws quite a bit of amps).
You will have to run some kind of modem control software on the pc in order to connect to the mobile network.
You cannot share the pc's internet connection, because the TTL settings do not propagate beyond the pc.
To set the TTL, you need to send the commands below.
In a Windows CMD prompt (WinKey + R, enter CMD), copy and paste these two commands one by one:

netsh int ipv4 set global defaultcurhoplimit=65 store=persistent
netsh int ipv6 set global defaultcurhoplimit=65 store=persistent

Using a WE826 as a modem interface has several advantages over using an external USB enclosure.
Here's why:
It plugs into the ethernet port without tying up a USB port (also no extra power draw on the USB bus).
Makes it easy to set the TTL/VPN/firewall.
Allows you to turn on WiFi in case you need it later on.
Allows easy file/printer sharing through its usb port/sdcard slot.
Connects automatically to the mobile network upon powering on the router (you'll thank me later;)
Costs around the same as a good USB enclosure.

So, pick your poison wisely! ;)
spkymky

Post by spkymky »

Thanks for the information Bill. I will go with getting a router. A few more questions, I have seen someone say the WE826 is unable to take full advantage of the EM7565 while the WG3526 can. Is this true and is the difference simply theoretical bandwidth on a given band and not band access? Given my research Visible uses band 66, which is why I went with the EM7565. I do not care about bandwidth as any SIM I use will be will be limited due to being prepaid, I just want the most stable connection. Regarding firmware, I see the EM7565 has the option for an upgrade on The Wireless Haven, what difference does this make?
BillA

Post by BillA »

spkymky wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:32 pm Thanks for the information Bill. I will go with getting a router. A few more questions, I have seen someone say the WE826 is unable to take full advantage of the EM7565 while the WG3526 can. Is this true and is the difference simply theoretical bandwidth on a given band and not band access? Given my research Visible uses band 66, which is why I went with the EM7565. I do not care about bandwidth as any SIM I use will be will be limited due to being prepaid, I just want the most stable connection. Regarding firmware, I see the EM7565 has the option for an upgrade on The Wireless Haven, what difference does this make?

Both routers comes with an mPCIe modem slot, therefore you'll need to use an M.2 to USB adapter for the EM7565.
The speed difference between the two is mainly the USB bus version. WE826 has a USB2 while the WG3525 has a USB3 bus, which really doesn't make much difference for the modem (the LTE network is slower than USB2's 480Mbps). The later is based on a slightly newer chipset (MT7621) and supports WiFi 2G/5G. But as a modem adapter the WE826 will do just fine.

Based on reports, Visible may not be the best choice for stability, since they are running their own servers on top of Verizon's, doing all kinds of filtering/client restrictions, with speeds up to 15Mbps at best, and latency of 100+ms. Just keep in mind, "cheap" may not always be the best choice.
Here's a list of alternative service options.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790

Also, you may want to try the latest GoldenOrb 2020-03-01 firmware which includes some stability fixes and updated modem drivers (at least till the new WiFix version comes out), flashed via the bootloader in order to refresh the entire system.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6007#p6007
spkymky

Post by spkymky »

After looking into this further, I think I'll get the MC7354 as I will stick with my (now discontinued) Unlimited Plus Verizon plan. I will also keep a Visible SIM handy for times I need to download files that don't care about latency. It looks like Visible uses the same as Verizon (with the exception of band 66), so the MC 7354 is a much cheaper option and it will handle pretty much everything Verizon requires for LTE. Here is the build I put together, I would appreciate any input/criticism you can provide.

Sierra Wireless MC7354
WE826-T2

2x 700-2700MHz Radome 3dBi 4G LTE Omni-Directional Antenna
OR
2x 698-2690MHz Cisco 4G LTE Antenna Omni-Directional Dipole w/ 10 ft. extension base

If using the Radome antennas I will need to place this within two feet of a microwave oven, from what I can tell microwaves operate near the 2.4Ghz wi-fi spectrum, so I don't think it will interfere much if at all with the 4G bands. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if there are other concerns with being so close to the modem.
steveg

Post by steveg »

spkymky wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:15 pm If using the Radome antennas I will need to place this within two feet of a microwave oven, from what I can tell microwaves operate near the 2.4Ghz wi-fi spectrum, so I don't think it will interfere much if at all with the 4G bands. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if there are other concerns with being so close to the modem.
As an old military radio tech I'd have to say don't count on that microwave not causing interference when running, especially that close to the modem. All radio transmitters, which is what the microwave really is, generate some spurious harmonic frequencies. So depending which band you are using it could degrade your LTE signal. Of course it would only happen when you're using the microwave.

That said, microwave ovens are shielded pretty well for safety reasons so it may be one of those things that you really don't know until you try it.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”