New GoldenOrb 2020-03-01 Firmware

Topics related to OpenWRT, LEDE, GoldenOrb, Linux and other firmware
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
MrEdLu

New GoldenOrb 2020-03-01 Firmware

Post by MrEdLu »

Just flashed my ZBT-WE826 device 20 minutes ago and it works fine so far. Firmware download link...

https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/firmware.html
MrEdLu

Re: New GoldenOrb 2020-03-01 Firmware

Post by MrEdLu »

This new firmware is working well. With the old firmware, I normally avoided Sprint's band 41 because of constant disconnects. With this new firmware, I'm still getting disconnected on heavy usage but at least it is automatically reconnecting and it is doing so under 1 minute. In contrast, I will often need to manually power cycle my WE826 to reconnect.

Log of my disconnects when downloading at ~9MB/s

Fri Feb 28 20:35:49 2020 : Disconnect (Removed) Modem #1
Fri Feb 28 20:36:17 2020 : Attempting to Connect Modem #1 (Sierra_Wireless,_Incorporated DW5811e_Snapdragon™_X7_LTE)
Fri Feb 28 20:36:26 2020 : Modem #1 Connected ( Sierra Wireless, Incorporated EM7455)

Fri Feb 28 20:41:31 2020 : Disconnect (Removed) Modem #1
Fri Feb 28 20:41:58 2020 : Attempting to Connect Modem #1 (Sierra_Wireless,_Incorporated DW5811e_Snapdragon™_X7_LTE)
Fri Feb 28 20:42:07 2020 : Modem #1 Connected ( Sierra Wireless, Incorporated EM7455)
BillA

Post by BillA »

MrEdLu wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:37 pm This new firmware is working well. With the old firmware, I normally avoided Sprint's band 41 because of constant disconnects. With this new firmware, I'm still getting disconnected on heavy usage but at least it is automatically reconnecting and it is doing so under 1 minute. In contrast, I will often need to manually power cycle my WE826 to reconnect.

Log of my disconnects when downloading at ~9MB/s

Fri Feb 28 20:35:49 2020 : Disconnect (Removed) Modem #1
Fri Feb 28 20:36:17 2020 : Attempting to Connect Modem #1 (Sierra_Wireless,_Incorporated DW5811e_Snapdragon™_X7_LTE)
Fri Feb 28 20:36:26 2020 : Modem #1 Connected ( Sierra Wireless, Incorporated EM7455)

Fri Feb 28 20:41:31 2020 : Disconnect (Removed) Modem #1
Fri Feb 28 20:41:58 2020 : Attempting to Connect Modem #1 (Sierra_Wireless,_Incorporated DW5811e_Snapdragon™_X7_LTE)
Fri Feb 28 20:42:07 2020 : Modem #1 Connected ( Sierra Wireless, Incorporated EM7455)

Looks like it reconnects under a minute.... does this new version have TTL settings built in?
MrEdLu

Post by MrEdLu »

Not sure what you mean with the TTL setting. Are you referring to this screen?
Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 11.20.36 PM.png
If so, it looks the same as the previous version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SliverGT
Has thanked: 0

Post by SliverGT »

What new features does it have?
MrEdLu

Post by MrEdLu »

I don't see any difference in the UI but I am hopeful that it is more stable. It is too early to tell since I'm less than 24h into using this new firmware.

Features list below copied from the download link in the 1st post.

The latest version of ROOter is GoldenOrb 2020-03-01 and has the following features.

All Firmware Images
  • Extensive support for different makes and models of USB Cellular modems including CDMA, 3G and LTE models including those using PCie and M.2 interfaces.
  • Automatic connection to your Provider when the modem is plugged in or when the router is booted up with the modem plugged in. No user intervention is required after the initial set up.
  • Automatically try to reconnect if the modem fails to connect to the Provider or loses its connection.
  • Monitoring of the connection with various steps to take if the connection fails.
  • Detailed information about the connection including signal strength, SIM information and tower details.
  • SMS (text) messaging on those modems and plans that support it.
  • Ability to send AT Commands to the modem as well as change the Network Mode of the modem.
  • Simple method of adding a Guest Wifi network to the router.
  • Allows the use of 2 modems at the same time.
  • Failover System to allow using multiple Internet sources with seamless switching between them in case of disconnection.
  • Scheduled reboot of the router at a time of your chosing.
  • Wifi Hotspot Manager to allow easy connection to Wifi hotspots.
  • Two GUI themes for different look for the router's web GUI.
  • Firmware update checking to see if you have the latest firmware.
8meg and 16meg Firmware Images
  • Print Server for USB printers.
  • Dynamic DNS for assigning a URL to your router.
  • VPN support using OpenVPN and OpenSSL. (8meg images can not have this as well as Samba)
  • Automatic mounting and sharing of USB storage devices using Samba. (8meg images can not have this as well as OpenVPN)
  • Extensive system for Load Balancing different Internet sources.
  • Support for IPv6.
  • Ability to create and execute router level scripts.
  • A per-device Bandwidth Monitor to allow viewing the bandwidth usage of all devices on your network.
  • Wake on Lan for devices on the Network.
  • Custom TTL Setting to change the ttl value for the modem.
  • Built-in Speedtest using Netperf.
  • Status of OpenVPN Instances shown on the Overview page.
  • Smart Queue Management for traffic shaping.
bjmc12
Been thanked: 0

Post by bjmc12 »

were can i go to get the latest goldenorb for my m2m nexg h721 . i have a quectel em20 on the way and want to make sure i have the latest and greatest. also i have a em7511 in it now and was wondering if can bond the 2 modems for faster speeds
:D :D :D :D

thanks
BillA

Post by BillA »

bjmc12 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:45 pm were can i go to get the latest goldenorb for my m2m nexg h721 . i have a quectel em20 on the way and want to make sure i have the latest and greatest. also i have a em7511 in it now and was wondering if can bond the 2 modems for faster speeds
:D :D :D :D

thanks

I don't see any OpenWRT or GoldenOrb available for the H721 but maybe JimHelms can point you in the right direction.
As far as modem/channel bonding, you can use any cheap OpenWRT router (WE826/WG3526) with an internal and external modem (connected via USB) and use the latest OpenWRT/GoldenOrb load balancing feature. While it's not true modem/channel bonding, it does improve complex web page loads and multi segment downloads.
conan785

Post by conan785 »

has anyone gotten the bandwidth monitoring to actually work. I have it running on a mofi4500/WE826 and it is not working. The stock mofi firmware monitor did work but this one is a no go. Any suggestions?
maxguru

Post by maxguru »

Hi,

I tried using two Sierra Wireless M.2 modems (EM7455 and EM7565) with USB adapters connected to a mini-PC with x86-64bit image but there seems to be some issues.

The `ifconfig`/`ip addr` commands show that both modems are working and have a unique Internet IP for both wwan0 and wwan1. However, I cannot switch between them when I click the 'PREV MODEM' and 'NEXT MODEM' button on the 'Network Status'/'Signal/Cell Information' page. The 'Miscellaneous Modem Features' shows 'No Modem Present' under 'Current Modem'. I am also having some issues with my Internet going down on and off on the LAN. One thing that looks strange is the 'Interfaces' page. It shows WAN1 protocol as 'MBIM' but the WAN2 interface is shown as 'DHCP client'. Is that normal? Shouldn't it also be 'MBIM'? It also seems to have the wrong interface assigned to it (wan2 instead of wwan1).

Is there a guide somewhere which I can use to set up these modems correctly for failover?

By the way, firmware version is indeed 'GoldenOrb_2020-03-01 ( OpenWrt 18.06.7 )'.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Actually the WAN2 interface gets switched to wwan1 when the second modem is plugged in. I was also able to switch its protocol to MBIM. However, I'm still having the other issues.
BillA

Post by BillA »

maxguru wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:23 am Hi,

I tried using two Sierra Wireless M.2 modems (EM7455 and EM7565) with USB adapters connected to a mini-PC with x86-64bit image but there seems to be some issues.

The `ifconfig`/`ip addr` commands show that both modems are working and have a unique Internet IP for both wwan0 and wwan1. However, I cannot switch between them when I click the 'PREV MODEM' and 'NEXT MODEM' button on the 'Network Status'/'Signal/Cell Information' page. The 'Miscellaneous Modem Features' shows 'No Modem Present' under 'Current Modem'. I am also having some issues with my Internet going down on and off on the LAN. One thing that looks strange is the 'Interfaces' page. It shows WAN1 protocol as 'MBIM' but the WAN2 interface is shown as 'DHCP client'. Is that normal? Shouldn't it also be 'MBIM'? It also seems to have the wrong interface assigned to it (wan2 instead of wwan1).

Is there a guide somewhere which I can use to set up these modems correctly for failover?

By the way, firmware version is indeed 'GoldenOrb_2020-03-01 ( OpenWrt 18.06.7 )'.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

You may want to take a look at these...

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/net ... iwan/mwan3
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6984
https://www.openmptcprouter.com/
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

conan785 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:19 pm has anyone gotten the bandwidth monitoring to actually work. I have it running on a mofi4500/WE826 and it is not working. The stock mofi firmware monitor did work but this one is a no go. Any suggestions?
Same here. Do we create a thread here or somewhere else?
RonnieB223

Post by RonnieB223 »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:57 pm Same here. Do we create a thread here or somewhere else?
Same here. Does anyone have any info on this or know where we can go to figure his out? Seems simple enough to enable, but yet it isn't working.
RonnieB223

Post by RonnieB223 »

Got a confirmed solution. Mine is up and running.

Thanks to -LOM- over on the Whirlpool forum.

GoldenOrb does have a bug regarding it's Bandwidth Monitoring Service.

https://whrl.pl/Rf4NEk
There is because something changed in OpenWrt 18.06 from the earlier versions and a folder is not being created.

Quick fix is as follows :

Go to System->Startup and scroll down to Local Startup. In the line before "exit 0" add this.

mkdir -p "/opt/WRTbmon/data/"
Reboot the router and the missing folder will be created.

You can remove that line after the router has finished rebooting as it is only needed once. Won't hurt to leave it there though.

The Bandwidth Monitor should now work.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

RonnieB223 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:42 pm Got a confirmed solution. Mine is up and running.
YES! It now works!

I just ssh'd into the router and ran the command:

Code: Select all

root@ROOter:~# ls /opt/WRTbmon/
    cleanup.lua  process.sh   wrtbwmon.sh
  root@ROOter:~# mkdir -p "/opt/WRTbmon/data/"
THANK YOU!

Why don't they come and join this forum?

Having everything on one single page looks a bit difficult to manage at the least
BillA

Post by BillA »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:19 pm Having everything on one single page looks a bit difficult to manage at the least

Yeah, that huge thread on that forum is truly a clusterf*ck, though some really good info. lol
But an even bigger mystery is why they haven't added a single line (mkdir -p "/opt/WRTbmon/data/") to the source code after all these years. :roll:
RonnieB223

Post by RonnieB223 »

BillA wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:28 am Yeah, that huge thread on that forum is truly a clusterf*ck, though some really good info. lol
But an even bigger mystery is why they haven't added a single line (mkdir -p "/opt/WRTbmon/data/") to the source code after all these years. :roll:
I got the impression that this was a recent issue that popped up because of a change in OpenWRT.

If I were to take a guess there was a function in the software that created the directory for the file when it is created and now that function isn't working in the same manner as it once did. Adding the line like above is the easy way to fix it, but if they are like me when they code they want to make it more robust and fluid.

I agree though that a temp solution of adding that line somewhere in either the installation process or elsewhere would have been better than doing nothing. Seeing as this was not more easily searchable I am going to wager that not many people actually use the bandwidth monitoring software that is baked in and as a result it is not high on the priority list of fixes.
BillA

Post by BillA »

RonnieB223 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:14 am I got the impression that this was a recent issue that popped up because of a change in OpenWRT.

If I were to take a guess there was a function in the software that created the directory for the file when it is created and now that function isn't working in the same manner as it once did. Adding the line like above is the easy way to fix it, but if they are like me when they code they want to make it more robust and fluid.

I agree though that a temp solution of adding that line somewhere in either the installation process or elsewhere would have been better than doing nothing. Seeing as this was not more easily searchable I am going to wager that not many people actually use the bandwidth monitoring software that is baked in and as a result it is not high on the priority list of fixes.

I can certainly understand keeping the code robust, supposedly the folder is not created due to the new kernel, however a simple one line patch would fix it.

Return to “Firmware”