PSA: AT&T Doing away with $35 iPad Unlimited.

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
hw1353

Re: PSA: AT&T Doing away with $35 iPad Unlimited.

Post by hw1353 »

gscheb wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:30 pm Hello hw1353,
I put the sim directly into the router with the MC7455 and it activated immediately. Then used the messenger in the router to activate my account online and talk to them on the phone when I had issues. Customer service was the biggest issues. Took like 24 hours for the add on I needed to show up on the account just so I could select it.
Was setting this up for someone else that lost their AT&T plan.
The guy on the phone even recognized that it was in a "hotspot device". Those where the words he used. Didn't seem to phase him a bit, he didn't care.
Maybe they don't care considering they sell ISP plan for only $50 per month. Just like the AT&T plan it is all good till it isn't.
Well I may have over purchased, I found the Global Plus 15 option on the t-mobile website. Unlimited 4g hotspot data I guess is what caught my eye. Was thinking it would be better to pay for it. Didn't want any issues with t-mobile later on. Magenta + Global Plus 15 is still cheaper than what I was paying for verizon service, I just hope it works....looks like you can backout within 14 days if it doesnt.

What really surprised me, was t-mobile is the only site I think I've seen so far, that when you put in the IMEI of the sierra wireless modem, it comes back with a green checkmark, saying its ready to use on their network. Lines up with you saying you were able to activate it in the modem. I had to buy a verizon hotspot to activate my verizon sim for my service. It would not activate in the MC7455.

I know the Verizon IMEI checker said it wouldn't work, hah. Guess t-mobile doesn't care, like you said.

Thanks for the info.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Well that unlimited hotspot global plan is what I have. IT will work without the TTL setting. Nice when go on vacation put it into a hotspot device like Nighthawk M1 and take it with us.
This other plan with out unlimited hot spot setting it up for someone else.

How far are you away from the the T-Mobile tower?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

gscheb wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:30 pm Hello hw1353,
I put the sim directly into the router with the MC7455 and it activated immediately. Then used the messenger in the router to activate my account online and talk to them on the phone when I had issues. Customer service was the biggest issues. Took like 24 hours for the add on I needed to show up on the account just so I could select it.
Was setting this up for someone else that lost their AT&T plan.
The guy on the phone even recognized that it was in a "hotspot device". Those where the words he used. Didn't seem to phase him a bit, he didn't care.
Maybe they don't care considering they sell ISP plan for only $50 per month. Just like the AT&T plan it is all good till it isn't.
Is this a phone plan? Or a tablet plan? Im not familiar with "Magenta Plus" etc.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

It is a phone plan. T-Mobile has all kind of Add-ons. Call themselves the un-carrier but they have just as confusing plans as everybody else, maybe worse. If you are over 55 years of age you can get a a pretty good deal for one line.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Not 55 yet, so it's a no go for me. :) BUT I do have a single phone on post pay. One Plus International phone plan. I gotta check out the tablet plans.
shroudedninja
Has thanked: 0

Post by shroudedninja »

Just thought I'd post my experience (rant) that was triggered (I believe) by this iPad plan cancellation, leading me to spend $500+ so far. Hopefully this could help others and maybe others would be willing to offer some advice too. Let me know if this is too ranty for this forum.

My wife works from home 100% of the time and now thanks to the lockdown so do I for the time being. My wife does medical interpretation over video stream so needless to say, we NEED stable, somewhat fast internet.

For the last year or so I've been using 4gdata.net for unlimited AT&T service, this came after a year of trying to make Calyx work with my not-so-great Sprint signal. Signing up with them initially was pretty painless, I was able to pick up a prepaid ATT SIM and they had it activated within a couple hours.

I was happy with the fast (albeit expensive) service until the end of March when my modem could no longer connect to ATT. That's when I first heard about ATT starting to discontinue the iPad plan. I was suspicious but opened a ticket with 4gdata and within 6 hours was able to activate a new prepaid SIM and was back up and running.

However I became concerned that this company was simply reselling the iPad plan to me for $100/month. So I canceled my 4gdata account and found another option on eBay (I know, I know, hindsight is 20:20) claiming to be an unlimited Enterprise LTE for only $80/month. I paid the $80 and they sent me the SIM card, which worked, even though I received another bill just a week or so later for another $80. Whatever, I could count the first one as an activation fee. The service was working fine until this weekend when once again, my modem refuses to connect to ATT at all. After sending several emails/eBay messages the seller got back to me about 12 hours later notifying me that ATT had cancelled my account and he was unable to login anymore, suspecting that I had used an unusually large amount of data (I think I hit around 600GB each month). He at least refunded me a portion of this months fee.

Since I was desperate to get ANY kind of internet service restored I went back to 4gdata with a new SIM number to get something setup at least temporarily until I could work out a better solution, knowing that while they aren't my ideal option, at least they could get me activated quickly and my wife and I could at least get some work done.

HUGE MISTAKE. It's now been over 60 hours since I first re-activated my 4gdata account (by paying the new $125 ATT fee) and have yet to receive any response. Only now have I realized their website is a black hole. There is a contact number, which plays a recorded message saying they are working to transition their support staff to work from home because of the virus, and this should be done by April 6. I've cut several tickets to them to ask for any update at all, even as simple as "we're really backlogged at the moment, we'll get to you in around x days".

I've since found that 4gdata.net is the same entity as Sardis Telecom AKA Fuzion USA. The wordpress template on their sites are exactly the same, and my login info from 4gdata works on Sardis. Sardis has a support number, which I called and after waiting through literally 5 minutes of recorded lecture telling me to open a ticket, to be nice to their CSRs, and to follow basic instructions, I was finally put through to an agent. I mentioned that I need to setup my 4gdata account, and at first they acted like they didn't know what that was, but after putting me on hold they took my name and said they'd look into it. They still have not activated my SIM and I'm still unable to work from my home without tethering to my phone (google Fi so it's capped at 30GB and we're only getting ~2Mbps, which isn't quite enough for my wife's job)

In the meantime I also ordered a data plan (~$150 :o ) from UnlimtedIRL on recommendation from the Wireless Joint group. Their site at least has contact details, a twitter handle, and live chat support. I'm hoping this is a better experience but now after reading more I'm unsure as well. Still waiting on the SIM card to arrive to test.

For right now as a bandaid we picked up the 18GB ($75) prepaid plan directly from ATT so at least my wife could work a couple days until the other SIM arrives. We've also called ATT about possibly getting the business plan ($100/100GB) but I'm sure we'd blow through that even when rationing our data as much as possible.

Lessons Learned: Don't buy data plans from sites with obscure/no contact information, don't buy data plans from eBay, don't move somewhere where LTE is the only option for good internet (JK, besides this I love where I live)

Please don't try to sell me anything, I promise I'm not usually this gullible :lol:
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

We are all on that path, some further than others. :)

If you don't mind me asking a few questions....

How far from the Sprint tower(s) are you? What equipment are you using for the Calyx account? What have you tried to get better signal for it?

I love the Calyx connections as they are today. I've used mine for right at 2 years now, just upped for a 3rd. It's just so simple, as long as you can get connected.
shroudedninja

Post by shroudedninja »

It's been over a year since I was using Calyx. If I recall correctly, the towers are ~8 miles away, but it's complicated by the fact that my house is surrounded by trees (PNW). I was using MC7455 and WG3526 (later upgraded to Turris Omnia) with 2 largish omni antennas. I tried using some directional antennas but was not successful and gave up on that. On good days I usually got ~10mb/s down.

With AT&T (using just a Netgear LB1120 w/ the omnis) I usually get 25-30 mb/s down.
brad2388

Post by brad2388 »

i have a couple lines freed up on the unlimited plus plan att offered a couple years ago. it allows hotspots and so far i havent seen anyone slowed down.
Chungus23
Been thanked: 0

Post by Chungus23 »

In the meantime I also ordered a data plan (~$150 :o ) from UnlimtedIRL on recommendation from the Wireless Joint group.
Oh my god, who recommended that to you? UnlimitedIRL is extremely overpriced.

If you're looking for AT&T, there are plenty of cheaper resellers or vendors on this list:
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gear/a ... tal-plans/

You can also use a prepaid AT&T SIM which will be even cheaper.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Much of the prepaid ATT stuff has been axed
LateParrot

Post by LateParrot »

Got axed from the dataconnect plan last weekend. Called at&t support and they told me I wasn't allowed to use a modem, I told them I didn't have one that the sim was in a tablet and they cut it back on. Fast forward to this morning, I get a call from the "fraud" department saying "You've got 2 days to remove your sim card from your EM7565 modem or we're closing your account". Getting a tmobile sim tomorrow.

I was averaging about 750gb/mo since October. All good things must come to an end I suppose. Really appreciate this forum, keep up the good work guys.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Tmobile seems to be much less stringent thus far. I'm using a Magenta plan in one of my units using an MC7455. So far so good.
brady8807

Post by brady8807 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:09 pm Tmobile seems to be much less stringent thus far. I'm using a Magenta plan in one of my units using an MC7455. So far so good.
Tablet plan or regular cell plan?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Its a cell plan, the Magenta.

I told the Tmobile sales lady what I had, an android tablet, and that I wanted the Magenta unlimited data plan, and she said she would send me a SIM and to put it into my tablet. :shrug: Its like $45 a month total. They have tablet plans, but they are stupid, like 30GB for $80 a month, then throttled after that, per the sales lady for Tmo.
hw1353

Post by hw1353 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:22 pm Much of the prepaid ATT stuff has been axed
Does that mean you could get ATT post paid and it would work?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

**Could** Others are
hw1353

Post by hw1353 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:07 pm **Could** Others are
Just curious.

Theres lots of ATT 3rd party resellers as well, some are fairly inexpensive compared to verizon options, which is the only immediate tower in my vicinity. Verizon has cut off so many 3rd party resellers, and the ones that are still active are looking for close to 200$ a month.

I've tried the t-mobile magenta plan over the last month, and while it works, I've continually had to mess with my antenna configuration, been hard to find the best spot/tower etc. I may keep it, its just been a lot of work.

ATT has better coverage( according to the maps) bands and overall speeds in my area when tested with a cell phone. At this point, I'm going to try an ATT service this next month and see if I can pick up better signal.
joek88

Post by joek88 »

Thanks for this thread. There is some great info here, and without it, I would be totally lost.

I know I’m preaching to the choir, but I’d really just like to vent for a minute about AT&T.

I’m in a rural location, so wireless is my only real option for internet. I’ve been on the AT&T $35 iPad unlimited plan for a couple years, and it worked pretty well until now.

Last week, right after my credit card was charged for the next month, my internet stopped working. I spent several hours adjusting the antenna, location, took the modem to the next town over, swapped the sim card, etc, in an attempt to debug it. I received no notice from AT&T about what was happening.

I logged into my account at https://att.com/ipadlanding and tried the contact link on that page, but it provided no help at all. All of the contact options are for other services – I was unable to find anything that applied to my service. I also tried the chat option, but it was about the most worthless thing ever.

The contact page suggested logging in, so I tried creating an account on that site, thinking it could get me some support, but when I put in my iPad’s number, it said I needed to go to the AT&T Premier site for that number. When I put in my number on the Premier site, it said I needed to go back to the main AT&T site. It’s maddening.

Fast forward to today. Today, I get an email saying:
Subject: AT&T data account canceled

Your iPad's Cellular Data Number: XXX-XXX-XXXX

Your data account above has been canceled either at your request or due to inactivity on the account. To re-subscribe, please visit SETTINGS > CELLULAR DATA on your iPad.

Thank you for choosing AT&T.

PLEASE DON'T HIT REPLY

Please go to att.com/contactus for questions or other options. This is an automated email so replies to the address will not be answered.
This is the only response I ever got from AT&T, and of course, it’s a total lie. I didn’t request my account was cancelled, and it certainly wasn’t due to inactivity either! Even the part about att.com/contactus is total BS. You can’t contact them about this plan there! That page is all about funneling you around through useless FAQs, and there is no entry for “AT&T cancelled my service and won’t say why”!

So I called AT&T to figure this out. I got their phone number off of my credit card statement, thinking someone at that number should be able to tell me something. The lady that answered was nice, but said she couldn’t help and she’d transfer me to someone who could. That person said the same, and anyway, I ended up getting transferred to 6 different people over the course of 2 hours (including hold times). No one was ever able to tell me anything about my account at all! I’d give them the cell number, then they’d say I needed to talk to someone else, I’d be put on hold, and the next person would say the same thing! It was beyond frustrating.

Anyway, I filed a dispute claim with my credit card company. It’s complete bull that AT&T had the gall to wait until my next billing cycle, charge me (it’s prepaid), and then cancel the service without even telling me for a week. And when they did tell me, it was a lie anyway, with no useful information. I tried really hard to contact AT&T and get an answer out of them. I really did try.

AT&T – why do you treat your customers like this? I get it if I’m using too much data and you don’t want my business, but in that case, why not just say so? Instead you cancel in the most offensive way. It wastes a ton of my time and your customer support persons’ time too.

Is it just me, or is this completely crazy? This experience will turn me off of AT&T for years. Lots of friends and family come to me for tech support, some of them have AT&T plans. I’m going to tell them about my experience.

I’ve never had such an abysmal customer service experience. I’m honestly just in disbelief here.
BillA

Post by BillA »

joek88 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:48 am Is it just me, or is this completely crazy? This experience will turn me off of AT&T for years. Lots of friends and family come to me for tech support, some of them have AT&T plans. I’m going to tell them about my experience.
I’ve never had such an abysmal customer service experience. I’m honestly just in disbelief here.

It's not just you, almost everyone got canceled on the iPad/tablet plan who has used over 500GB per month (or even less). Apparently they have two different systems, one for billing and the other for service (the switch), which obviously do not communicate properly with each other as they should be. So once you reach their arbitrary usage threshold, the switch kicks your service off, while the billing system keeps billing you. At this point your only recourse is to dispute it with your credit card company, don't waste another minute trying to talk to those ATT clowns.

So let me vent a bit too.... there's a much bigger issue out there how businesses are being run nowadays. Everything seem to be getting automated cutting out the human element completely (for example customer service), and this trend just keeps growing everywhere. If the much touted AI will work the same way as ATT's billing/switch, it may drive safely, it will probably forget to look at the fuel gauge leaving me stranded in the "da hood". lol While that may be a silly example, in my opinion full automation may not be fitting every task out there. Just my 2cents.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

does anyone have a link to the t-mobile plans folks are using now?

I have a customer who has Verzion, but got rate limited almost immediately with almost zero use on the "Unlimited plan"....
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

swwifty wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:06 am does anyone have a link to the t-mobile plans folks are using now?

I have a customer who has Verzion, but got rate limited almost immediately with almost zero use on the "Unlimited plan"....
Hello Swwiffy,
Is this customer 55 or older? Ask because can get even better deal if they are thru t-mobile

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32 ... data#p7409
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

gscheb wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:55 am Hello Swwiffy,
Is this customer 55 or older? Ask because can get even better deal if they are thru t-mobile

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32 ... data#p7409
Yeah sorry I should have read scroll back, but this thread is looongg.

That doesn't look like unlimited data though?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Yes it is unlimited data. Just not unlimited hotspot data. Just need TTL of 64 and ready to go.
Like think all T-Mobile post pay is unlimited.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

Sorry for all the questions, but this is still very unclear to me. I have a customer that has a MC7455. Can I just sign up for this plan with t-mobile online, get a sim in the mail from them, and then activate in the MC7455? You said TTL 64, but that seems wrong? It would easily show hotspot data.

Also, where the heck did the private message section go? I can't seem to find it anymore to PM anyone.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

swwifty wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:43 pm Sorry for all the questions, but this is still very unclear to me. I have a customer that has a MC7455. Can I just sign up for this plan with t-mobile online, get a sim in the mail from them, and then activate in the MC7455? You said TTL 64, but that seems wrong? It would easily show hotspot data.

Also, where the heck did the private message section go? I can't seem to find it anymore to PM anyone.
PM is disabled right now.
Yes this is true.
T-Mobile will activate right with MC7455.
TTL 64 will work for it not to hotspot.

Then depending on plan rather you have HD streaming or not.

If they live in a very strong T-Mobile area and don't need outdoor antennas they actually sell a $50 internet plan. But you are suppose to use there device that doesn't have a place to hook up antennas or anything.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

gscheb wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:59 pm PM is disabled right now.
Yes this is true.
T-Mobile will activate right with MC7455.
TTL 64 will work for it not to hotspot.

Then depending on plan rather you have HD streaming or not.

If they live in a very strong T-Mobile area and don't need outdoor antennas they actually sell a $50 internet plan. But you are suppose to use there device that doesn't have a place to hook up antennas or anything.
Thanks for the info.

So just simply go online and sign up and have them mail me a sim card? Sorry for all the questions, it's just not clear to me how to sign up for the plan and get a working sim card.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

swwifty wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:15 pm Thanks for the info.

So just simply go online and sign up and have them mail me a sim card? Sorry for all the questions, it's just not clear to me how to sign up for the plan and get a working sim card.
We called them on the phone told them we already had our own device. They didn't even ask what the device was. They mailed us the sim card and I activated it in the the we826 with mc7455.

Check out this post here is a person that just did it. Maybe can reach out to him as well.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=37 ... t=30#p8482

Also last month sold a person a Mofi thru a classified add.
He got a sim card from T-mobile and put it in the device and it worked for him too.

Know it sounds to easy!
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

gscheb wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:22 pm We called them on the phone told them we already had our own device. They didn't even ask what the device was. They mailed us the sim card and I activated it in the the we826 with mc7455.

Check out this post here is a person that just did it. Maybe can reach out to him as well.

He got a sim card from T-mobile and put it in the device and it worked for him too.

Know it sounds to easy!
okay, thanks for the info. I'll give that a shot. crossing my fingers.
LogHomeLatency

Post by LogHomeLatency »

gscheb wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:22 pm Check out this post here is a person that just did it. Maybe can reach out to him as well.
I found the name Travel Data on another string here and gave it a shot. Found they moved away from ATT plans due to the changes - They only have T-Mo now. I have only had it for a few weeks and have had some sporadic disconnects (don't think it is due to the service - rather my setup). Plugged it into my MoFi, changed the APN and carrier, reset the Sierra module and I was off to the races.
https://traveldata.page/
prdg79

Post by prdg79 »

After a week without internet, AT&T notified me my iPad plan has been canceled. Has anyone got Metro (by tmobile) to work? I can't get to work on my Rapsbery Pi 3b GoldenOrb using EM12-G.
docderwood

Post by docderwood »

joek88 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:48 am Thanks for this thread. There is some great info here, and without it, I would be totally lost.

I know I’m preaching to the choir, but I’d really just like to vent for a minute about AT&T.

I’m in a rural location, so wireless is my only real option for internet. I’ve been on the AT&T $35 iPad unlimited plan for a couple years, and it worked pretty well until now.

Last week, right after my credit card was charged for the next month, my internet stopped working. I spent several hours adjusting the antenna, location, took the modem to the next town over, swapped the sim card, etc, in an attempt to debug it. I received no notice from AT&T about what was happening.

I logged into my account at https://att.com/ipadlanding and tried the contact link on that page, but it provided no help at all. All of the contact options are for other services – I was unable to find anything that applied to my service. I also tried the chat option, but it was about the most worthless thing ever.

The contact page suggested logging in, so I tried creating an account on that site, thinking it could get me some support, but when I put in my iPad’s number, it said I needed to go to the AT&T Premier site for that number. When I put in my number on the Premier site, it said I needed to go back to the main AT&T site. It’s maddening.

Fast forward to today. Today, I get an email saying:

This is the only response I ever got from AT&T, and of course, it’s a total lie. I didn’t request my account was cancelled, and it certainly wasn’t due to inactivity either! Even the part about att.com/contactus is total BS. You can’t contact them about this plan there! That page is all about funneling you around through useless FAQs, and there is no entry for “AT&T cancelled my service and won’t say why”!

So I called AT&T to figure this out. I got their phone number off of my credit card statement, thinking someone at that number should be able to tell me something. The lady that answered was nice, but said she couldn’t help and she’d transfer me to someone who could. That person said the same, and anyway, I ended up getting transferred to 6 different people over the course of 2 hours (including hold times). No one was ever able to tell me anything about my account at all! I’d give them the cell number, then they’d say I needed to talk to someone else, I’d be put on hold, and the next person would say the same thing! It was beyond frustrating.

Anyway, I filed a dispute claim with my credit card company. It’s complete bull that AT&T had the gall to wait until my next billing cycle, charge me (it’s prepaid), and then cancel the service without even telling me for a week. And when they did tell me, it was a lie anyway, with no useful information. I tried really hard to contact AT&T and get an answer out of them. I really did try.

AT&T – why do you treat your customers like this? I get it if I’m using too much data and you don’t want my business, but in that case, why not just say so? Instead you cancel in the most offensive way. It wastes a ton of my time and your customer support persons’ time too.

Is it just me, or is this completely crazy? This experience will turn me off of AT&T for years. Lots of friends and family come to me for tech support, some of them have AT&T plans. I’m going to tell them about my experience.

Catching up on these posts. ATT is awful. They've run Directv into the ground. I keep thinking I might try their wireless but I hate to give them any of my dollars. I went thru a long process with their business services division.....said they could connect fiber last fall to our address. Then they wanted us to pay 120K to do so.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

Bill,

Thank you for compiling this information
BillA wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:10 pm ATT tablet/iPad plan $35/mo, 30Mbps speeds, 50ms latency, deprioritized after 30GB, has been discontinued.
Isn it deprioritized after 22GB? I get emails after consuming 22GB.
BillA wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:10 pm Tmobile unlimited prepaid $60/mo, 100Mbps speeds, 40ms latency, deprioritized after 50GB
Tmobile based SimpleMobile $50/mo, 100Mbps speeds, 40ms latency, deprioritized during congestion
So the Tmobile unlimited prepaid plans is prioritized until 50GB is met?

I ask because I see some Tmobile unlimited prepaid plans on eBay for $30/mo (seems to be the same $60/mo plan) while the same sellers sell the SimpleMobile $50/mo for $60 for 90 days.

Both are great deals if they are exactly as promised so I'm looking for more information
BillA wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:10 pm Verizon unlimited prepaid $70/mo, 50Mbps speeds, 50ms latency, deprioritized during congestion
Verizon based Visible $40/mo, 10Mbps speeds, 150+ms latency, deprioritized during congestion
Verizon based PagePlus $55/mo, 50Mbps speeds, 50ms latency, deprioritized during congestion
So the $70/mo Verizon unlimited prepaid is functionally the same as the $55/mo PagePlus? (which can be had for $30/mo on eBay)
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Unfortunately, post merger, Tmobile is going the way of ATT, so it seems like a Verizon MVNO will be the go to for us rural folks. Look at my latest posting for my personal experience.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

gscheb wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:30 pm Maybe they don't care considering they sell ISP plan for only $50 per month. Just like the AT&T plan it is all good till it isn't.
The Tmobile $50 per month "home ISP" plan wasn't available everywhere to begin with. We bothered them almost a year ago enough, for them to offer it and last month they yanked it saying they were going to "reboot" their "home ISP" drive with "better and faster 5G" - the thing is, until their grand plans happen, we don't have an internet connection in the meantime.

More in my latest post.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

gscheb wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:22 pm We called them on the phone told them we already had our own device. They didn't even ask what the device was. They mailed us the sim card and I activated it in the the we826 with mc7455.

Know it sounds to easy!
gscheb, are you talking about the $50 internet "home ISP" plan here? or something else?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

No this is just a phone plan on post pay tmobile
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Ah.

Tmobile had come up with a $50 per month "home ISP" plan that they advertised heavily in our area. It wasn't available everywhere to begin with. When we entered our addresses in the neighborhood though, it said coming soon, so we (bit over 200 families) bothered them almost a year ago enough, for them to offer it.

Last month they yanked it saying they were going to "reboot" their "home ISP" initiative with "better and faster 5G".

The thing is, until their grand plans happen, we don't have an internet connection in the meantime!

Our community has a few temporary measures in place so we don't get fired from our jobs (we cant go to an office to work because the state is in lockdown and office utilities have been suspended because no one is using the office space) and some of us who have the time and ability are doing their bit in figuring out how to fix this mess.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:05 pm Ah.

Tmobile had come up with a $50 per month "home ISP" plan that they advertised heavily in our area. It wasn't available everywhere to begin with. When we entered our addresses in the neighborhood though, it said coming soon, so we (bit over 200 families) bothered them almost a year ago enough, for them to offer it.

Last month they yanked it saying they were going to "reboot" their "home ISP" initiative with "better and faster 5G".

The thing is, until their grand plans happen, we don't have an internet connection in the meantime!

Our community has a few temporary measures in place so we don't get fired from our jobs (we cant go to an office to work because the state is in lockdown and office utilities have been suspended because no one is using the office space) and some of us who have the time and ability are doing their bit in figuring out how to fix this mess.
If you and everyone you know really want T-Mobile it isn't hard to get.
Might cost you more than $50 though.
Here is a link about it https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32 ... data#p7409
This thread about the being over 55 years old for deal.
If not that age the HD one will cost you $85.
Can also get other 3rd party resellers to use as well.
Think you can get it here for under $80.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I pay like $50 a month for my Tmo plan. Im under 50. :)
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

What is your video streaming abilities on the $50 plan? That is my issue is need the HD allot our days is video.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

That's the caveat for me. I have no clue. I don't watch TV. I'll have to eventually test that.
BillA

Post by BillA »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:27 pm Bill,

Thank you for compiling this information
Isn't it deprioritized after 22GB? I get emails after consuming 22GB.
So the Tmobile unlimited prepaid plans is prioritized until 50GB is met?

I ask because I see some Tmobile unlimited prepaid plans on eBay for $30/mo (seems to be the same $60/mo plan) while the same sellers sell the SimpleMobile $50/mo for $60 for 90 days.

So the $70/mo Verizon unlimited prepaid is functionally the same as the $55/mo PagePlus? (which can be had for $30/mo on eBay)

Tmobile/SimpleMobile prioritize around 50gigs, but in my experience it's virtually unnoticeable, unless you live in a heavily congested area like a big city. Just be weary of those "Ebay specials", you get what you pay for, in other words cheap sh*t.
The PagePlus $55 plan is essentially the same as Verizon's $75 repaid, all plans are usually less through a reseller. What others don't tell you honestly, is that there seems to be a 200GB high speed data limit per month (slow speeds thereafter) on PagePlus and on every other reseller, imposed on them by Verizon. To get the high speed data back immediately, the monthly billing cycle can be restarted early. Hopefully the limit will be lifted in time.
whitenack

Post by whitenack »

I have one of these plans. A couple of days ago, my connection dropped. I have troubleshooted and the only thing I can come up with is that AT&T has blocked/cancelled my account, at least for the rest of the month (I have used a total of 550gb this month). However, I can still log into my account and don't see anything online where it has been cancelled.

Does anyone have experience with what to do next? Will they reinstate me when the month renews? If not, can I sign up again?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Prepaid plan?

Cancel your payment method now, or convert it to post paid if possible. Or simply open a new post paid account. They will likely say nothing, and note nothing. Charge you for a new month, then cancel your account the next day. Im not joking. Its crappy.
whitenack

Post by whitenack »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:22 pm Prepaid plan?

Cancel your payment method now, or convert it to post paid if possible. Or simply open a new post paid account. They will likely say nothing, and note nothing. Charge you for a new month, then cancel your account the next day. Im not joking. Its crappy.
Yes, prepaid. I wouldn't be too happy if I waited a week to see if they would reinstatement, just to find out they won't. And I'd be especially unhappy if they didn't reinstate me but still charged my automatic payment.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Its exactly how they did me and MANY others
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

Is this list still current? I'd like to move a customer that had ATT ipad plan to T-mobile but I don't understand how to do this and activate properly?
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

whitenack wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:14 pm I have one of these plans. A couple of days ago, my connection dropped. I have troubleshooted and the only thing I can come up with is that AT&T has blocked/cancelled my account, at least for the rest of the month (I have used a total of 550gb this month). However, I can still log into my account and don't see anything online where it has been cancelled.

Does anyone have experience with what to do next? Will they reinstate me when the month renews? If not, can I sign up again?
ATT is killing all of these plans that violate their terms of service. They aren't notifying customers at all, just doing it... very frustrating. I have a lot of customers using this plan.
BillA

Post by BillA »

swwifty wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:32 pm ATT is killing all of these plans that violate their terms of service. They aren't notifying customers at all, just doing it... very frustrating. I have a lot of customers using this plan.

Always have a backup plan. ;)
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Just FYI, Bill here does sell and activate plans so you don't have to look far.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

...so someone fill me in.
internot

Post by internot »

Can I pop my Project Fi sim into my Mofi4500 to test for T-Mobile towers?

I just started putting a setup together a couple weeks ago, so was disappointed when I realized these AT&T plans are dead or dying. Nevertheless, I picked up a used mofi4500 and a single Wilson directional panel antenna locally which barely worked (1 Mbps up and down) when I tested it on AT&T yesterday.

Tower locations look even worse (trees and hills) for T-Mobile and Verizon, but I'd like to give them both a shot before I lose hope and give in to Viasat...
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Honestly I've never spoken with anyone who tried. Give it a go!
internot

Post by internot »

Will report back if I learn anything! Can I also ask, when testing my setup with the panel antenna, is it good enough to stand on the roof with the antenna in hand? I'd like to wait to install a mount until I find something reasonably effective.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Thats exactly what I do. I sometimes will just lay it on my work bench or kitchen table while testing equipment.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

Can someone please explain how one would sign up for a t-mobile plan and use a MC7455 modem? This is not clear to me at all.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

swwifty wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:38 pm Can someone please explain how one would sign up for a t-mobile plan and use a MC7455 modem? This is not clear to me at all.
Have you tried? To get a sim and put it in?
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

gscheb wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:09 pm Have you tried? To get a sim and put it in?
I got a customer setup with a t-mobile account through third party, but they activated it for me.

I don't understand how to sign up for t-mobile with a MC7455 modem directly? I put in the IMEI and they said its not valid.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

I would recommend you get in touch with Bill (BillA) about this. He has direct experience with everything to do with plans and activation.

I am unable to PM or tag him though.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

Yeah, not sure why I can't send PM's anymore here.... Bill you around?
fmj435

Post by fmj435 »

I have activated and used Google Fi, SimpleMobile, and Tmobile Unlimited Prepaid or the past month and a half. All of them I just placed the sim in the modem (em7565) and turned it on and they immediately worked. All of them I activated online. Project Fi throttled after the cap down to 70kbps for me and the cap was low, I want to say 22gb or something. Simplemobile just didn't seem to work well, lots of websites wouldn't load even with a VPN. For the life of me I couldn't even load their website to add auto pay. Tmobile unlimited has been great so far even though I purposefully pushed it over the cap of 50gb to see how it would preform. Bottom line for me is Tmobile was the best carrier for Tmobile both in ease of activation and use.
techp1

Post by techp1 »

So I'm looking for alternative to $35 ipad plan since att seems to be cracking down. Looks like I'm not only one having issues with it losing connection every so often. Others have had same thing happen on this forum and some on reddit (one had different att plan too). So looks like I need to try different provider. Have sprint tower close-ish to us. Technically it's on our property. But few miles from house. Could try verizon or tmobile too. Haven't had best experience with them as MVNOs on phones. I used visible and got under 4mbps down.... In city though I got better speeds than att postpaid (100+mbps). As far as tmobile, I've used mint mobile and speeds weren't great either. Technically still paying for 1.5mbps att dsl service, they now offer 6mbps down... Guess that is something for under $60/month.

Anyone have suggestions? Gonna be getting sprint $25/month plan soon but don't think it will work well in hotspot since already depriortized to begin with and lots of limitations. Also heard sim is device specific, but it'll get me half off a phone at bestbuy so probably cancel after a month.
techp1

Post by techp1 »

fmj435 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:29 pm I have activated and used Google Fi, SimpleMobile, and Tmobile Unlimited Prepaid or the past month and a half. All of them I just placed the sim in the modem (em7565) and turned it on and they immediately worked. All of them I activated online. Project Fi throttled after the cap down to 70kbps for me and the cap was low, I want to say 22gb or something. Simplemobile just didn't seem to work well, lots of websites wouldn't load even with a VPN. For the life of me I couldn't even load their website to add auto pay. Tmobile unlimited has been great so far even though I purposefully pushed it over the cap of 50gb to see how it would preform. Bottom line for me is Tmobile was the best carrier for Tmobile both in ease of activation and use.
The $50 tmobile one here? https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans
fmj435

Post by fmj435 »

techp1 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:06 pm The $50 tmobile one here? https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans
Yes, I just ordered a sim off of amazon for 2 bucks and it came the next day.
BillA

Post by BillA »

swwifty wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:16 pm Yeah, not sure why I can't send PM's anymore here.... Bill you around?

If you'd like, I can help you activate PagePlus or Simple mobile remotely with video throttling disabled through my dealer account, all you have to do it simply insert it into your router and it should be good to go. But first pick up a sim activation kit from your local Walmart, Target, BestBuy, Dollar General or online at Amazon or Ebay. Once you have the sim card, click on the contact icon under my profile pic.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

You give them a tablet imei over the phone then put it in your router
LoveMeSomeCALTE

I am evaluating ATT iPad plan and TMobile business tablet accounts. ATT is more reliable (min. speed of 5Mbps symmetric w/ 70Mbps burst, 20ms latency) while TMobile bursts more (100Mbps) but less reliable (min. speed of 0.7Mbps symmetric, 45ms latency).

The ATT iPad plan might not be for everyone but I am hoping as long as we keep the traffic to under 22GB and plugged into an iPad, it should be fine.

This will allow ~$60/mo in plans fees for ATT iPad plan and TMobile business tablet plan that should cover heavy VoIP (ATT) and general web access (TMobile).

I have a report due next week to my neighbors where I will be presenting this data.

After this evaluation, I will work with Bill to evaluate SimpleMobile and PagePlus.
BillA wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:48 pm Once you have the sim card, click on the contact icon under my profile pic.
swwifty, Bill responded. Bill, thank you!
fmj435 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:29 pm Simplemobile just didn't seem to work well, lots of websites wouldn't load even with a VPN. For the life of me I couldn't even load their website to add auto pay
1. Did you have the TTL adjustment in place?
2. Compared to the modem, how did the Simplemobile SIM work (or worked) in your phone? Any different?

Please keep us posted on all data points and I hope this blurb helps you
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Well I called T-mobile on the phone told them I had my own device. They sent me a sim card. I put it directly into the MC7455 and activated it.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

gscheb wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:53 am Well I called T-mobile on the phone told them I had my own device. They sent me a sim card. I put it directly into the MC7455 and activated it.
You activated with the MC7455 IMEI or a different one? Their website seems to think the MC7455 isn't compatible with their network
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

BillA wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:48 pm If you'd like, I can help you activate PagePlus or Simple mobile remotely with video throttling disabled through my dealer account, all you have to do it simply insert it into your router and it should be good to go. But first pick up a sim activation kit from your local Walmart, Target, BestBuy, Dollar General or online at Amazon or Ebay. Once you have the sim card, click on the contact icon under my profile pic.
Thanks Bill. I'm not sure which sim card though I need to get? I guess a PagePlus one?

Also, when I click on the contact link it tries to open up a email client to email you I guess... that doesn't work for me. Can you give me some address to mail you at?
fmj435

Post by fmj435 »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:58 pm

1. Did you have the TTL adjustment in place?
2. Compared to the modem, how did the Simplemobile SIM work (or worked) in your phone? Any different?

Please keep us posted on all data points and I hope this blurb helps you
I tried 63-66 with no luck and had the APN as simple. At first I didn't set the TTL though and it shut off when I used up the 5gb tethered data, Bill helped me realize my mistake. I don't know about in a phone. With Tmobile I have virtually no service at my house if the sim is in a phone.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

fmj435 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:27 pm Yes, I just ordered a sim off of amazon for 2 bucks and it came the next day.
I would appreciate an amazon link for that. The cheapest TMobile SIM I can find is $9. I would like to order a few TMobile SIM to try
BillA

Post by BillA »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:56 pm I would appreciate an amazon link for that. The cheapest TMobile SIM I can find is $9. I would like to order a few TMobile SIM to try

Try your local BestBuy (in the prepaid phones section they got a bunch sim activation kits for pretty much all prepaid carriers), also Walmart, Target, Dollar General, Sam's Club, Kroger/KingSoopers.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Interesting thread. Seems some people really abused the AT&T iPad unlimited plan (Some with over a TB in a month!). It also appears the AT&T allowed them to do it until recently. What I find sad is AT&T does not offer a compromise plan for those that rely on a wireless connection for internet that are not abusers. I was on their prepaid hotspot plan ( Netgear Unite hotspot)for many years with a 1.5gb/mo which jumped to 2gb and is now at 3gb. It handled my home internet needs fairly well although it has gotten harder since even basic surfing and shopping requires more and more data.

Because of the increasing data needs I found out about MVNO's that had hotspot plans and tried a few before going to Red Pocket for their 5gb data plan. It was at that time I left battery powered hotspots for the Netgear LB1120. It was good for about a year for me until I found Cricket Simply Data that allowed me to bump up to 20gb (I rarely go above 7gb in a month). With that new freedom of data it got me into looking about for devices that would maximize my speed and quality of connection. Which is what brought me to this Forum.

Last year I tried out T-mobile with the free test hotspot offer they had. It did not work very well in my location. Some of which might be attributed to the low quality hotspot they provided.

I am surprised that AT&T has not provided a decent internet data plan after deciding to crack down on the iPad plan abusers. There is obviously a market that exists. The 3 carriers seem bipolar about the use of wireless for internet. They allow it and they discourage it.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”