Question on Visible and AT&T Prepaid Plans

This a discussion place for anything related to wireless
AllanK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question on Visible and AT&T Prepaid Plans

Post by AllanK »

I have 2 android phones, the first is with Visible. I currently have it tethered to a router and share the data to multiple devices through the SSID configured in the router. When I have signal it works well. When I don't have signal I unplug the Visible phone from the router and plug in an AT&T phone. Although the AT&T phone has unlimited data tethering is a different data bucket and costs $10 per 5 GB of data.

Is there a combination of items I can but to allow me to use the AT&T data without them knowing that I am tethering? Can the setup include either load balancing or fail over?

All my phones need to be prepaid as I am a Canadian and credit checks don't work so well for us for a post paid plan. I am also hoping that the AT&T data can be used while in Canada as Visible will not work but AT&T includes Canada and Mexico.
BillA

Re: Question on Visible and AT&T Prepaid Plans

Post by BillA »

AllanK wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:33 pm I have 2 android phones, the first is with Visible. I currently have it tethered to a router and share the data to multiple devices through the SSID configured in the router. When I have signal it works well. When I don't have signal I unplug the Visible phone from the router and plug in an AT&T phone. Although the AT&T phone has unlimited data tethering is a different data bucket and costs $10 per 5 GB of data.

Is there a combination of items I can but to allow me to use the AT&T data without them knowing that I am tethering? Can the setup include either load balancing or fail over?

All my phones need to be prepaid as I am a Canadian and credit checks don't work so well for us for a post paid plan. I am also hoping that the AT&T data can be used while in Canada as Visible will not work but AT&T includes Canada and Mexico.

Unfortunately there's no way to bypass a hard data limit on any service, only if the hotspot is limited but the phone still has unlimited data, in which case you could try adjusting the TTL settings, or as a last resort run a VPN.
There a user on here "Gscheb" (https://wirelessjoint.com/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=1402) who has more experience with the Visible service, so you may want to contact him.

Here are two resources to get load balancing working on OpenWRT routers.
It's not the easiest task, but if you're a tinkerer type then it's doable.
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/net ... iwan/mwan3
https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/loadbalancing.html
gscheb

Re: Question on Visible and AT&T Prepaid Plans

Post by gscheb »

AllanK wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:33 pm When I have signal it works well. When I don't have signal I unplug the Visible phone from the router and plug in an AT&T phone.
Hello,
What do you mean by this?
Are you saying you don't have good verizon coverage at the house?
What does work well mean? Have you ran a speed test on it?

Return to “OPEN | UNCLASSIFIED”