Visible Wireless Sim work??

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
Champ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Visible Wireless Sim work??

Post by Champ »

I'm thinking of using Visible Wireless who offers unlimited data at a good price. My question is: has anyone used their sim in a modem/router successfully?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Visible Wireless Sim work??

Post by JimHelms »

Using the search function will return numerous posts.
pctech101

Post by pctech101 »

I have a GL-X750 with the EP06-A.
I activated the SIM in a Visible phone first.
All I had to do was set the connection to manual and use
/dev/ttyUSB3
LTE/UMTS/GPRS
VSBLINTERNET

I am up with a max of 20/20
mripper

Post by mripper »

Yes, I've used mine in both Mofi and a CBA850, just need to modify apn to VSBLINTERNET

Edit: Had wrong apn, thanks for pointing that out.
SkarDude

Post by SkarDude »

mripper wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:08 pm Yes, I've used mine in both Mofi and a CBA850, just need to modify apn to VBLINTERNET
~VBLINTERNET~ Should be VSBLINTERNET
FoxyRenegade

Post by FoxyRenegade »

So I've managed to get the Visible SIM functioning the the X750, but how do you go about optimizing it?
I used the settings below to make it function on the modem.

/dev/ttyUSB3
LTE/UMTS/GPRS
VSBLINTERNET

Unfortunately, it seems to be capping me at the 5mbps that Visible does for hotspots. How do I bypass to achieve higher speeds such as the 20/20 mentioned by pctech101?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

FoxyRenegade wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:29 am So I've managed to get the Visible SIM functioning the the X750, but how do you go about optimizing it?
I used the settings below to make it function on the modem.
/dev/ttyUSB3
LTE/UMTS/GPRS
VSBLINTERNET
Unfortunately, it seems to be capping me at the 5mbps that Visible does for hotspots. How do I bypass to achieve higher speeds such as the 20/20 mentioned by pctech101?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Try to see if this works.

Try go to see if you can get to "more settings" "advanced"
Then it opened another window to log into. Some kind of open wrt firmware. User name auto filled with root.
The password is the same password you set up for the admin login on the GL.INET firmware.
After got to there went to "network" "firewall" "custom rules"
Removed everything that was in there and replaced it with.

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j HL --hl-set 64
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j HL --hl-set 64
#end TTL rules

Then clicked "restart firewall"
After that had full speeds no longer limited to 5 up and down.
FoxyRenegade

Post by FoxyRenegade »

I deleted everything from the custom firewall and entered in the code you recommended, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have yielded any improvement. Perhaps that is only one piece of the puzzle or there are some other settings that were previously set that need to be changed.

Anything else that you can think of changing? Perhaps it requires an AT Command?
Also note that USB3 was the only port that I was able to get Visible working on. I noticed the firewall rules seem to callout USB0.

I apologize for all the questions. I bought the modem off of a third-party and they dropped the service I was using so I've been scrambling to find something and Visible has been been the only thing to show any sort of potential.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

FoxyRenegade wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:57 pm I deleted everything from the custom firewall and entered in the code you recommended, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have yielded any improvement. Perhaps that is only one piece of the puzzle or there are some other settings that were previously set that need to be changed.

Anything else that you can think of changing? Perhaps it requires an AT Command?
Also note that USB3 was the only port that I was able to get Visible working on. I noticed the firewall rules seem to callout USB0.

I apologize for all the questions. I bought the modem off of a third-party and they dropped the service I was using so I've been scrambling to find something and Visible has been been the only thing to show any sort of potential.
Yes hello
Think I might have told you wrong. Believe that is to tether a phone to router.
Try this instead.
Hopefully this works.

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#end TTL rules
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

In order to change the TTL settings you should first delete it all and reset and allow the router to connect without any custom TTL settings, them enter the new custom TTL settings, then reboot again. I don't know why this works, but it does. Of course that is assuming your TTL settings are correct.

I use basically the same as gscheb posted above for wwan0.
FoxyRenegade

Post by FoxyRenegade »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:36 am In order to change the TTL settings you should first delete it all and reset and allow the router to connect without any custom TTL settings, them enter the new custom TTL settings, then reboot again. I don't know why this works, but it does. Of course that is assuming your TTL settings are correct.

I use basically the same as gscheb posted above for wwan0.
I followed your instruction, but unfortunately I'm still being throttled. I've pasted some screenshots of various screens that I was hoping you could check. It's possible that my previous provider has changed a setting that could be causing an issue, or I'm probably missing one of the more basic steps. Are any AT commands necessary? Also, why do we target "wwan0" when we are using the device USB3? Any help is appreciated.
Device_Service_APN.PNG
Firewall_Zone_Settings.PNG
Firewall_Traffic_Rules1.PNG
Firewall_Traffic_Rules2.PNG
Custom Firewall.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Show me the Network-->Interfaces list. Easier to explain. I think GLinet ahs that page in its menus
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

FoxyRenegade wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:47 pm I followed your instruction, but unfortunately I'm still being throttled. I've pasted some screenshots of various screens that I was hoping you could check. It's possible that my previous provider has changed a setting that could be causing an issue, or I'm probably missing one of the more basic steps. Are any AT commands necessary? Also, why do we target "wwan0" when we are using the device USB3? Any help is appreciated.

Device_Service_APN.PNG
Firewall_Zone_Settings.PNG
Firewall_Traffic_Rules1.PNG
Firewall_Traffic_Rules2.PNG
Custom Firewall.PNG
Hello,
Are you using a outside modem plugged into this? Opposed to an internal modem? Asking because that could change things. When I tether my visible phone have to use this to get it to work.
#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#end TTL rules
FoxyRenegade

Post by FoxyRenegade »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:25 pm Show me the Network-->Interfaces list. Easier to explain. I think GLinet ahs that page in its menus
My set up is just having the Visible SIM card placed directly into the GL-X750 which is serving as a modem/router. So no router or phone is plugged in. I've redacted MAC and IP addresses from the Network Interfaces capture, I hope that isn't an issue. If there is a specific screen within that menu let me know and I will send it your way.
Network_Interfaces.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

gscheb wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:30 am Hello,
Are you using a outside modem plugged into this? Opposed to an internal modem? Asking because that could change things. When I tether my visible phone have to use this to get it to work.
#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#end TTL rules
Did you try this custom firewall above?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

If your directly in the router with the SIM using its modem, which is showing up as connected as a 3G modem btw, then wwan0 is the interface you should need to use, as it is the primary Wireless WAN connection (WWAN0)
Winter

Post by Winter »

Has anyone got visible to work with a MOFI4500 v3 with a Quectel Ec25-af?
If so what commands worked?
I can use putty to get in.
BillA

Post by BillA »

FoxyRenegade wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:51 am My set up is just having the Visible SIM card placed directly into the GL-X750 which is serving as a modem/router. So no router or phone is plugged in. I've redacted MAC and IP addresses from the Network Interfaces capture, I hope that isn't an issue. If there is a specific screen within that menu let me know and I will send it your way.

Network_Interfaces.PNG

Looks like the GLI firmware might be using a custom modem port (your modem may or may not be "wwan0").
The easiest way to find out the exact modem device name which should go into the custom TTL settings, is by going to:

Network > Interfaces > hover your mouse over the little icon in the middle of the "MODEM_1_1_2" interface box, look for "Device: xxx". Most likely your custom modem device name will be "3g_modem_1_1_2"

Then substitute the above "Device: xxx" name into the TTL rules below.
For example, if it's showing "Device: 3g_modem_1_1_2" then <Device: xxx> should be substituted as "3g_modem_1_1_2" without the "Device:" part and quotes in the template below.

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o <Device: xxx> -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i <Device: xxx> -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o <Device: xxx> -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i <Device: xxx> -j HL --hl-set 65
#end TTL rules

Make sure to click on Restart Firewall, restart the router by pulling the plug, wait 5 minutes to boot up fully, then test it.
Example if the modem device is ""3g_modem_1_1_2"

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o 3g_modem_1_1_2 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i 3g_modem_1_1_2 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o 3g_modem_1_1_2 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i 3g_modem_1_1_2 -j HL --hl-set 65
#end TTL rules

You can double check the modem device name by going to:

Status > Firewall > under Table Filter hover your mouse over each of the blue device links (br-lan, eth0, tun, 3g_modem_1_1_2, etc), and look for the interface name displayed in the lower left corner of the browser. The one that displays "MODEM_1_1_2" is the corresponding modem device, most likely it will be "3g_modem_1_1_2".
Note, under Status > Firewall the device and interface names are flipped around compared to the Network > Interface list, so the blue links are the "device" names and the url links at the bottom of the screen are the "interface" names.

As Didneywhorl has suggested, make sure to first disable the Custom TTL Setting by unchecking the Enable box, Save&Apply, then restart the router. There's no need to re-enable the Custom TTL Setting since you're using custom rules, you can simply copy and paste the above TTL rules into the Custom Rules box, just make sure to substitute the modem device name in each of the 4 lines.
rvlife

Post by rvlife »

I have tried all the steps provided for Visible. But I keep getting very low speedtest results (like 0.75 MB down). I have the following rules set and can verify they are in use by looking at the firewall status. Using GL-X750 stock firmware 3.104. EC25-AF. Visible SIM directly in the router using /dev/ttyUSB3, Service LTE/UMTS/GPRS, APN = VSBLINTERNET.

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o 3g-modem_1_1_2 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i 3g-modem_1_1_2 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o 3g-modem_1_1_2 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i 3g-modem_1_1_2 -j HL --hl-set 65
#end TTL rules

What else do I need to tweak to get better connection speeds?
BillA

Post by BillA »

rvlife wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:49 pm I have tried all the steps provided for Visible. But I keep getting very low speedtest results (like 0.75 MB down). I have the following rules set and can verify they are in use by looking at the firewall status. Using GL-X750 stock firmware 3.104. EC25-AF. Visible SIM directly in the router using /dev/ttyUSB3, Service LTE/UMTS/GPRS, APN = VSBLINTERNET.

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o 3g-modem_1_1_2 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i 3g-modem_1_1_2 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o 3g-modem_1_1_2 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i 3g-modem_1_1_2 -j HL --hl-set 65
#end TTL rules

What else do I need to tweak to get better connection speeds?

Your screenshot is showing TTL=64, that's the only parameter you can tweak to get better speeds.
So manually edit the TTL at the end of each line to 64, 65, 66, and 117, one at a time, click on Restart Firewall, restart the router, wait 5 minutes to boot up fully, then test it. If you're still getting low speeds, it's possible that you have major congestion in your area, lack of signal, or Visible is throttling accounts severely.

Did you double check the modem device name under Status > Firewall > Table Filter > hover your mouse over each of the blue device links (br-lan, eth0, tun, 3g_modem_1_1_2, etc) ??
It's also possible that the modem device name is different, therefore the custom TTL rules are not acting upon the packets. If it's other than "3g-modem_1_1_2", then edit the rules and test each of the TTL values one at a time.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Even if you didn't have the right TTL should still get the 5 down cap. Getting .75 is some other issue would think.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:33 pm Even if you didn't have the right TTL should still get the 5 down cap. Getting .75 is some other issue would think.

0.75Mbps sounds like a throttled speed, which could be due to several reasons.

1. Lack of signal (simple as that)
2. Wrong TTL which used up all the high speed hotspot data, and now running throttled
3. Maybe it's not a fully unlimited plan, or ran out of high speed data (duh!)
4. Carrier is throttling due to the equipment used
5. Flaky or congested WiFi, test it using an wired ethernet connection instead

I would test the sim card in a phone with a similar category modem as in the router for a speed comparison.
Jon_T

Post by Jon_T »

The first step I always take is to see what the speed is like in an actual phone and then go from there. Just like BillA referenced if you are in a busy area, then Visible gets whatever is left over in terms of tower bandwidth. I know that if I am in an area where my postpaid Verizon phone is struggling with speeds, my Visible plan is going to be pretty much useless.
Shadesta

Post by Shadesta »

Winter wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:47 am Has anyone got visible to work with a MOFI4500 v3 with a Quectel Ec25-af?
If so what commands worked?
I can use putty to get in.
I have currently, and successfully, setup a mofi4500-Sim7 v3 at my parents house and at my sisters house. I have no idea what actual modem is inside it though; so no idea if this is helpful or not.

The biggest issue I have had with visible is not activating the stupid sim card / account correctly 1st before putting it into the mofi. some tell-tale signs of this is, when in a phones internet / mobile access appears to work, but when in the mofi at best you get like a .5 or 1 meg down and can only bring up the visible.com website (if your lucky).

usually what happens when I get the phones, I install the visible app registrar the app and then "think" I am done. but that has never been the case. after that I have always had to reboot the phone, then go back into the app, log into the app/account continue with finalizing the billing and such which then will send an email to me that actually says "hey your account is setup and ready to go." it is at that point in which I can take the sim card out of the phone and put it in the mofi device and then continue setting up from there. And, for me at least, both mofi's (parents and sisters) appear to take upwards of 5 or 6 minutes from a reboot to actually fully boot up and connect (stable) to their respective cell towers.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Shadesta wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:53 am I have currently, and successfully, setup a mofi4500-Sim7 v3 at my parents house and at my sisters house. I have no idea what actual modem is inside it though; so no idea if this is helpful or not.

The biggest issue I have had with visible is not activating the stupid sim card / account correctly 1st before putting it into the mofi. some tell-tale signs of this is, when in a phones internet / mobile access appears to work, but when in the mofi at best you get like a .5 or 1 meg down and can only bring up the visible.com website (if your lucky).

usually what happens when I get the phones, I install the visible app registrar the app and then "think" I am done. but that has never been the case. after that I have always had to reboot the phone, then go back into the app, log into the app/account continue with finalizing the billing and such which then will send an email to me that actually says "hey your account is setup and ready to go." it is at that point in which I can take the sim card out of the phone and put it in the mofi device and then continue setting up from there. And, for me at least, both mofi's (parents and sisters) appear to take upwards of 5 or 6 minutes from a reboot to actually fully boot up and connect (stable) to their respective cell towers.

Unfortunately Visible is a second rate service, using Verizon's leftover bandwidth.
Verizon's postpaid customers get prioritized first, then their prepaid, and finally Visible.
Also, they run their service on top of Verizon's servers to control usage (thus the need for their app), therefore your data gets bounced around twice (or more), increasing the latency. I would recommend trying PagePlus instead, a Verizon based service with no speed or latency issues. They have a 200gig/month high speed data limit just like ALL the other Verizon based prepaid services. If you need assistance with setting up your service, click on the contact bubble icon below my profile pic, I'd be happy to help.
decade

Post by decade »

Wondering of this is still working?

pctech101 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:54 pm I have a GL-X750 with the EP06-A.
I activated the SIM in a Visible phone first.
All I had to do was set the connection to manual and use
/dev/ttyUSB3
LTE/UMTS/GPRS
VSBLINTERNET

I am up with a max of 20/20
chumbie

Post by chumbie »

I have a phone USB tethered to an AR750S, and as long as I'm not being deprioritized I pull ~15Mb/s, sometimes even as high as 50mb/s late at night. While deprioritized though it can drop as low as 1-3mb/s.

For example, there was about an hour this past Wednesday where max DL was ~300kb/s, but that's not typical.

I've attached a full write-up I did on the subject as a txt file to this post, in case anyone would find it helpful.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

When you have set ups like this almost have to have two to make it dependable. Like one on visible and one on AT&T
chumbie

Post by chumbie »

gscheb wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:31 pm When you have set ups like this almost have to have two to make it dependable. Like one on visible and one on AT&T
I completely agree, we're considering some different options right now, particularly T-Mobile's Home 5G plan.
yerbluez

Post by yerbluez »

Hey Bill - I know this comment was several months ago but I wanted to get your advice if you have a moment. I am a current Visible customer - I am about to rent an apartment which has no fiber optic internet, the best I can get is apparently CenturyLink DSL at 10Mbps. I work from home, and so I've been looking into options so that I can make this place work. My initial thought was to try and use the Visible unlimited hotspot at the apartment as the area has good coverage from Verizone. Reading your comment, it looks like PagePlus is the way to go.

Would you be alright if I sent you a message to ask a few questions about getting set up with PagePlus? I have done some research, but will need to buy a comptaible hotspot and a prepaid plan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BillA wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:17 am Unfortunately Visible is a second rate service, using Verizon's leftover bandwidth.
Verizon's postpaid customers get prioritized first, then their prepaid, and finally Visible.
Also, they run their service on top of Verizon's servers to control usage (thus the need for their app), therefore your data gets bounced around twice (or more), increasing the latency. I would recommend trying PagePlus instead, a Verizon based service with no speed or latency issues. They have a 200gig/month high speed data limit just like ALL the other Verizon based prepaid services. If you need assistance with setting up your service, click on the contact bubble icon below my profile pic, I'd be happy to help.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”