I need a bit of help...

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
WhiskeyLifa
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I need a bit of help...

Post by WhiskeyLifa »

I’m not even sure where to start, I’ve tried Verizon and ATT plans all utilizing the same antenna setup (WeBoost Home 4G, panel)
I’ve currently got it mounted ~23 ft high, well below the tree line. Most days I average ~0.5-2 mbps down (if I’m downloading files at certain times, I’ve seen 5-40mbps but it never last more than a second, so i know it’s possible) and I am usually connected to Band 12 at -87 to -90dB. I have three towers all approximately 7 miles from me in three different directions.

Now, I’m not even sure where to start or what tools to use. I’ve used CellMapper.net—which confused me a bit on what information was displayed and a few apps to get my antenna pointed as close to the tower as I can. I plan on ordering two Yagi antennas before I get home and some LMR400 to attempt to rectify my problem.

My questions are:
What antennas are recommended?
Should I get a splitter and continue to use my WeBoost, or directly into my Nighthawk?
What tools (software, apps, etc) will help me?
How can I get the most out of what I plan on doing? Is there a better setup anyone has in mind?

Lastly, how can I prepare to do this before I am home in April? I work away from home, so I cannot be there to walk around my yard for signal (but I know most of the yard is going to be -95dB and worse. I use an iPhone, so apps that work well with that and how I can study the area and best placement.

Thanks.
WhiskeyLifa

Re: I need a bit of help...

Post by WhiskeyLifa »

I’ve also used Google Earth to measure distances and sort of check the topography and if I’m utilizing it correctly, I have nearly 0 LOS on every tower around me.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

is the weboost antenna a signal antenna?

If it's only one antenna, thats probably half your problem right there. It's also possible your antenna is pointed in the wrong direction for the tower its actually connected to. If you have a few in range, it can hop between them.

I'd recommend getting at least two antennas so you can get MIMO, but if you only have band 12, it's probably not going to be a good time since that band is often congested due to phones using it alot.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Many people have recommended simply putting the Nighthawk itself way up in the air. It has very good internal antennae and conversely the ts9 connectors are junky.

Just for giggles, I would try that first. For permanent install you mount it inside a weather tight box and power it over LAN cable. PoE
WhiskeyLifa

Post by WhiskeyLifa »

I will try that on my last effort, only because I live in hot as all hell Florida, and hurricane Michael barely breezed by us last year.

I’m going to extinguish my other routes before doing that. Probably go with the dual antenna to the booster, then straight to the router, then I’ll try that.

I just need to make sure I’ll be able to return the antenna if they do not work for me.
WhiskeyLifa

Post by WhiskeyLifa »

swwifty wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:33 pm is the weboost antenna a signal antenna?

If it's only one antenna, thats probably half your problem right there. It's also possible your antenna is pointed in the wrong direction for the tower its actually connected to. If you have a few in range, it can hop between them.

I'd recommend getting at least two antennas so you can get MIMO, but if you only have band 12, it's probably not going to be a good time since that band is often congested due to phones using it alot.
Do you think switching to Yagi antennas would help at all? I turned off my booster and used OpenSignal to get the best idea on where to point it. I also mapped the tower it’s possibly connected to and get it pointed in that general area that match with the direction from the app and my google earth.

Also, the WeBoost is a single, external panel antenna.

My drive way is almost due north, so I have that as a good reference.

Edit: I also have band 5 and 2 available and the tower on cellmapper says 17, as well, but I’ve never been able to connect to it.
I’ve went into putty and made a setting on my nighthawk to lock band 2, but I stay anywhere from -105 to -120dB on it, so it’s a no go with my current setup. I’ve brought my nighthawk into town before and close to a few towers I can connect to from my house with the booster and band 2 always works excellently. 30-50mb down every time.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

WhiskeyLifa wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:05 pm Do you think switching to Yagi antennas would help at all? I turned off my booster and used OpenSignal to get the best idea on where to point it. I also mapped the tower it’s possibly connected to and get it pointed in that general area that match with the direction from the app and my google earth.

Also, the WeBoost is a single, external panel antenna.

My drive way is almost due north, so I have that as a good reference.

Edit: I also have band 5 and 2 available and the tower on cellmapper says 17, as well, but I’ve never been able to connect to it.
I’ve went into putty and made a setting on my nighthawk to lock band 2, but I stay anywhere from -105 to -120dB on it, so it’s a no go with my current setup. I’ve brought my nighthawk into town before and close to a few towers I can connect to from my house with the booster and band 2 always works excellently. 30-50mb down every time.
There's no way I can tell you if yagi type antennas will help you are not, for sure. I do know that having two antennas for 4G will double your download speed, and help over come multipathing issues, so I highly highly recommend having two at least.

I would aim your antennas based on signal strength. Make small adjustments in direction, and then check the signal stats on the nighthawk.

If you do get higher gain antennas, that will likely bring band 2 in a bit stronger, but its tough to say until you actually try it and see what happens.
WhiskeyLifa

Post by WhiskeyLifa »

swwifty wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:43 pm There's no way I can tell you if yagi type antennas will help you are not, for sure. I do know that having two antennas for 4G will double your download speed, and help over come multipathing issues, so I highly highly recommend having two at least.

I would aim your antennas based on signal strength. Make small adjustments in direction, and then check the signal stats on the nighthawk.

If you do get higher gain antennas, that will likely bring band 2 in a bit stronger, but its tough to say until you actually try it and see what happens.
What are the highest gain antennas that I can buy, honestly? I’m at the point where dumping a few hundred dollars just for antennas is worth it.

Also, what about the WeBoost situation? can it even handle the dual antenna and still see results, or is wiring it straight into my Nighthawk the way to go?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

https://www.signalboosters.com/bolton-t ... l-antenna/

About as good as it gets I think

Im unfamiliar with the boosters, I dont think its needed. Its kind of a niche product
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Niche in a single channel narrow usage kinda way
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
In my experience the We-Boost is great for getting phones to work if you don't have good service to make calls and what not.
But for home LTE internet better off with just antennas to the device itself. The We-Boost will create noise and degrade signal quality and it seems to make the signal boost up and down. Makes it unstable.
At least this was my experience with it.

I still have this a We-Boost for my phones and separate periodic log directional antennas for my LTE modem.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

WhiskeyLifa wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:20 pm What are the highest gain antennas that I can buy, honestly? I’m at the point where dumping a few hundred dollars just for antennas is worth it.

Also, what about the WeBoost situation? can it even handle the dual antenna and still see results, or is wiring it straight into my Nighthawk the way to go?
highest gain isn't always the best.

I'd go with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-VT-BV1102 ... lp_pl_dp_2
WhiskeyLifa

Post by WhiskeyLifa »

Didneywhorl wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:49 am https://www.signalboosters.com/bolton-t ... l-antenna/

About as good as it gets I think

Im unfamiliar with the boosters, I dont think its needed. Its kind of a niche product
I’ve considered those, but they are pretty steep if I’m going to buy two. I’ll use those as a last resort though.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I agree, but you asked ;)

I use narrow band flat panel mimo antennas. They work well for me, but they are just for Sprint Band41. thewirelesshaven.com sells them, but I think the wide band versions are on order now, soon to be back in stock
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Really hard to recommend anything when not sure of your terrain and environment (other than your description).

One thing for sure: DO NOT use a splitter to combine two antennas into one port! LTE is not designed to operate like that and you will end up with very poor results. If you must a use amplifiers, use two.

If you have a really weak signal, any amplifier will not help as it will also amplify the noise.

Yagi antennas can produce mixed results when they do not have a clear and open path to the tower. Kind of hit and miss.

Hotspots with TS-9 connectors are a poor choice for full-time internet use. I highly recommend you invest in a router with SMA type connectors. The Wireless Haven has a great selection of lower end (but still great performing) like the WE-826 series.

Also, you should try the The Wireless Haven store for your antennas :) For instance, these flat panels: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... -n-female/

The store also has (had) very good yagi's if you decide to go that route. You may wish to inquire at store before ordering anything else where.

If you insist on staying with hotspot that uses TS-9 connectors, be sure to use top quality adapters and coax cable. No matter how good your antennas area, cheap high loss cable and TS-9 adapters will kill any gain made. LMR400 is a great choice for cable.

Bottom line: Your budget will dictate the performance. Yagi's are not always going to help in areas with no LOS since they have a tighter beamwidth. First thing I would try are flat panels, but just my opinion.

You also might consider getting a site survey (now in the store).
WhiskeyLifa

Post by WhiskeyLifa »

I did some research and found a structure being built two miles from my house, I contacted the company tasked with building it and they told me AT&T should have equipment on it by mid-2020. Ive contacted AT&T technical support and nobody can give me answers about it, which is ridiculous lol.

I’m going to go with two 11dB gain Yagis and work on finding that sweet spot. Hope they work.
WhiskeyLifa

Post by WhiskeyLifa »

terryjett wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:01 pm Really hard to recommend anything when not sure of your terrain and environment (other than your description).

One thing for sure: DO NOT use a splitter to combine two antennas into one port! LTE is not designed to operate like that and you will end up with very poor results. If you must a use amplifiers, use two.

If you have a really weak signal, any amplifier will not help as it will also amplify the noise.

Yagi antennas can produce mixed results when they do not have a clear and open path to the tower. Kind of hit and miss.

Hotspots with TS-9 connectors are a poor choice for full-time internet use. I highly recommend you invest in a router with SMA type connectors. The Wireless Haven has a great selection of lower end (but still great performing) like the WE-826 series.

Also, you should try the The Wireless Haven store for your antennas :) For instance, these flat panels: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... -n-female/

The store also has (had) very good yagi's if you decide to go that route. You may wish to inquire at store before ordering anything else where.

If you insist on staying with hotspot that uses TS-9 connectors, be sure to use top quality adapters and coax cable. No matter how good your antennas area, cheap high loss cable and TS-9 adapters will kill any gain made. LMR400 is a great choice for cable.

Bottom line: Your budget will dictate the performance. Yagi's are not always going to help in areas with no LOS since they have a tighter beamwidth. First thing I would try are flat panels, but just my opinion.

You also might consider getting a site survey (now in the store).
I’ve considered the site survey and may end up doing it. As stated, I’m willing to try anything at this point. My wife was telling me she was getting a consistent 18-20 mbps last night, which is good...but it doesn’t last.

I’ll definitely speak with who I have to before ordering anything, especially about a return policy if they happen to not work.

Return to “Cellular Antennas”