LTE modem with transparent bridging

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
audio

LTE modem with transparent bridging

Post by audio »

Hello folks. I stumbled upon this great forum in my quest to ditch my cable ISP. I'm very inspired by the projects and knowledge found here. I have an interesting setup and am looking for some advice.

I currently have an Ubiquiti network at home which includes an AP, PoE switch, and UDMP gateway which has been managing my WAN connection (firewall/DPI, etc) and VLANing. The cable modem is a separate device which acts as a transparent bridge where the public IP I am assigned is provided to the UDMP gateway for WAN management. I would like to do the same thing in the LTE space.

Most of the information I have found on this forum involves building a completely separate router/firewall device. This is the route I was planning on going by building a Raspberry Pi 3B+ w/ Sierra EM7565 & ROOTer. However, this configuration would complicate some things in terms of remote access to my UDM/environment behind this.

Is there a device or enclosure that I can put the EM7565 in that still has a management interface but acts as a transparent bridge?

I found this post on configuring a DMZ in openwrt, just hoping there have been some advancements since. http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=49
Didneywhorl

Re: LTE modem with transparent bridging

Post by Didneywhorl »

This is outside my wheelhouse, but just understand that with LTE cell providers you will not get a public static IP to pass through. ... Unless you like to pay up for it. You could get a public dynamic (routable) IP.

I could be wrong
audio

Post by audio »

Thanks Didneywharl for the response. That is totally fine for my purposes. I overcome that with dynamically updating DNS entries, so a dynamic public IP is fine.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I wish I understood what transparent bridge meant :/
R1250GSA

Post by R1250GSA »

There are multiple design decisions in how get the wireless data into your system.
Many struggle to get a quality signal and need the antennas high up/far away, in doing so,
you want to convert to digital as soon as possible, so a small router or raspberry can do the job and send ethernet down to your existing network/router.
Or some will just take a USB modem enclosure and plug it directly into a router.
It all depends.

I am a big fan of the Raspberry Pi4B-8GB, and with the USB3.0 port, it will handle a lot of data.

The 7565 is a CAT-12 modem with theoretical max of 600Mbps, but the Pi3B+ can only push 300Mbps max on its Ethernet which uses the USB2 bus. I would postulate that the USB2 bus is shared and using it for both a USB modem and the USB ethernet would chop the capacity in half.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”