When are guy wires needed?

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
SliverGT
Has thanked: 0

When are guy wires needed?

Post by SliverGT »

I'm using a Channel Master J style wall mount that extends 7' above the top mounting bracket. There are 2 The Wireless Haven panel antennas mounted to it. How high does the mast have to be before guy wires are needed?
IMG_4910.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BillA

Re: When are guy wires needed?

Post by BillA »

SliverGT wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:59 pm I'm using a Channel Master J style wall mount that extends 7' above the top mounting bracket. There are 2 The Wireless Haven panel antennas mounted to it. How high does the mast have to be before guy wires are needed?

IMG_4910.JPG

It depends on quite a few variables...
How tall is the pole
How thick/strong is the pole
How much weight is attached to the pole
The general wind direction it's usually blowing from
Wind resistance of the total surface area including the attachments
Last but not least, any city ordinances against erecting tall structures/poles, including guy wires

I would use strong durable quality materials, and observe it often how much it's swaying in windy/stormy weather.
Just remember, the whole setup is only as strong as its weakest point, which includes the pole, guy wires, and fasteners.
Oh, and while you're at it, it's probably a good idea to look into a good lightning arrester, unless you want your router/modem/eyeballs take off at lightning speeds. ;)

Having said all that, there are probably more knowledgeable "pole masters" out there who could enlighten us further. lol
In the meantime you can find some more info here > https://www.google.com/search?q=ham+ant ... calculator
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: When are guy wires needed?

Post by JimHelms »

Rather than guy wires, you may want to use a support bracket from the roof to the mask. I remember seeing these on eBay, and with only a quick search, maybe something like THIS that hooks to the mask like THIS.

Return to “Questions and Support”