SIM locked to a device?

HOTSPOT Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
ZorgBlub
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SIM locked to a device?

Post by ZorgBlub »

Greetings!

First of all this is my first time registering on this forum but I have been reading content here for a while and I throw my hat to the people active here because you helped me more than once. So thank you for that!

I am considering the subscription to plan bundled with a Huawei B310 device. While inquiring about it, I was told the SIM would not work in any other device.
I was wondering how that kind of lock works and if there are workarounds to it.

I currently have a Nighthawk MR1100 so it is better if I can use this one for now but I am open to any solution involving any device.

Thank you in advance for your interest!
Didneywhorl

Re: SIM locked to a device?

Post by Didneywhorl »

What cellular provider is the service through and where did the SIM card for it come from? What size is the SIM card?
ZorgBlub

Post by ZorgBlub »

The SIM is a standard size and the provider is Orange. The SIM comes with the router and the service is called "Home 4G" in Egypt.

I forgot to mention they also said that the device comes unlocked and can be used with any SIM.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Its likely that they register/apportion the SIM to the device, thereby making the SIM "locked" to that device, much like Sprint does here.
Im unfamiliar with non US providers but Ill generally assume many things apply in some way in parallels.
There is a chance that the SIM 'could' be used in another device if that device has a modem that uses a "generic" firmware, non carrier branded, or has the option to swap to it. I THINK the Nighthawk can do this with the OEM Netgear firmware, but I really have no experience with it, and that just changes the router firmware.
ZorgBlub

Post by ZorgBlub »

Thanks! I will try to request the service and see what is possible.

I will keep you posted :)

Return to “General and Unclassified”