Qotom Q355G4 Install

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Factor

Qotom Q355G4 Install

Post by Factor »

Has anyone installed on a small i5 x86-64 like the Qotom Q355G4 (http://www.qotom.net/product/29.html). They are fairly rugged and have a full sata port for ssd(if needed) Ram slots and 2 pcie slots. I was using this for opnsense. Now just going to try openwrt or ROOter. I dont really need wifi in the router or a cellular modem. So I assume the best choose for firmware would be stock Openwrt. Thoughts?
BillA

Re: Qotom Q355G4 Install

Post by BillA »

Factor wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:22 am Has anyone installed on a small i5 x86-64 like the Qotom Q355G4 (http://www.qotom.net/product/29.html). They are fairly rugged and have a full sata port for ssd(if needed) Ram slots and 2 pcie slots. I was using this for opnsense. Now just going to try openwrt or ROOter. I dont really need wifi in the router or a cellular modem. So I assume the best choose for firmware would be stock Openwrt. Thoughts?

That's an interesting device... looks like it can run both Windows and Linux, but doubt it can can run OpenWRT/GoldenOrb/WiFix. Nonetheless, on Windows you should be able to run Connectify (a software hotspot).
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Has anyone installed on a small i5 x86-64 like the Qotom Q355G4 (http://www.qotom.net/product/29.html).
I have a PC Engines ALIX.2D13 LX800 256MB (still for sale on ebay these days) left over from a long forgotten project. Off and on experimenting installing Rooter on it since they support this model. Not sure if it is rooter or the firmware on board, but never seem to get it stable (crashes a lot and I mean a lot).

Have been wanting to try the Rooter generic x86 build on one of the small computers like you speak of, but never enough time (or money).
Factor

Post by Factor »

BillA wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:40 pm That's an interesting device... looks like it can run both Windows and Linux, but doubt it can run OpenWRT/GoldenOrb/WiFix. Nonetheless, on Windows you should be able to run Connectify (a software hotspot).
Oh, it can. I have OpenWRT 19 running right now on it. Normally I use this device for a router only with opnsense or pfsense. Had to try it out on OpwnWRT it works well from the router side also with a wifi module as well. No sim slot or 3rd slot for the Cel modem. So from the cel side, you are correct.
Factor

Post by Factor »

terryjett wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:03 pm PC Engines ALIX.2D13 LX800 256MB
That is an old board now. I have an apu3c4 it runs openwrt well. I also ran the GO version with a cell modem in it seemed fine. The apu3c4 is the new LTE supported boards you could seem them here https://pcengines.ch/apu3c4.htm

Maybe it needs a firmware update to coreboot although I don't think PC engines recommends the ALIX platform anymore.

Sounds like you have lots of old tech stuff like me...
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Factor wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:22 pm That is an old board now. I have an apu3c4 it runs openwrt well. I also ran the GO version with a cell modem in it seemed fine. The apu3c4 is the new LTE supported boards you could seem them here https://pcengines.ch/apu3c4.htm

Maybe it needs a firmware update to coreboot although I don't think PC engines recommends the ALIX platform anymore.

Sounds like you have lots of old tech stuff like me...
" Sounds like you have lots of old tech stuff like me..."

That is the understatement of the year, lol. About a year ago my wife got on to me about a storage rental (12x24). Told me I had not been in it for over a year. She was right. Way in the back was a commodore 64... Most went to electronic salvage, some in my must smaller storage and rest on ebay. I am a electronic packrat.

Love the tiny computers though. Way back in late 60's read Poplar Science and tiny computers were suppose to be running our life by the 80's... But we were also suppose to be flying around and not driving by 2020...
BillA

Post by BillA »

terryjett wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:10 pm " Sounds like you have lots of old tech stuff like me..."

That is the understatement of the year, lol. About a year ago my wife got on to me about a storage rental (12x24). Told me I had not been in it for over a year. She was right. Way in the back was a commodore 64... Most went to electronic salvage, some in my must smaller storage and rest on ebay. I am a electronic packrat.

Love the tiny computers though. Way back in late 60's read Poplar Science and tiny computers were suppose to be running our life by the 80's... But we were also suppose to be flying around and not driving by 2020...

Speaking of Commodore, I have a spare room full of them in boxes from the ground up to the ceiling. As I recall, when I stashed them away in the mid 90's, I had about 5 pieces of C64's, 1x Amiga 1000, 3x Amiga 500's, and 2x Amiga 2000's, with tons of peripherals (some still brand new unopened) and over a 5,000 floppy-disks full of games and warez. Just waiting for my kids to throw it all out along with me. lol
Don't remember "Poplar Science" but maybe "Popular Science", oh and my beloved Nuts And Volts magazines.. how can I forget, rotting away in boxes. xD
Guess the Jetsons were wrong about everybody in flying cars by the 2000's.
Factor

Post by Factor »

There is a Computer Museum in Baltimore MD always looking for items... The guy has a fully functional Linotype https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linotype_machine its awesome.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Don't remember "Poplar Science" but maybe "Popular Science", oh and my beloved Nuts And Volts magazines.. how can I forget, rotting away in boxes. xD
Guess the Jetsons were wrong about everybody in flying cars by the 2000's.
Damn tiny keyboards! You are right, no "poplar, just popular".

Anyway, a trip down memory lane. No where near the amount of Commodore stuff you have, but got an assortment. Kids today would laugh us out of the room if you hook the Commodore to old color tv and played one of those games...

Or, get a kid to sit down, open a monthly magazine, type in 1's and 0's into a timex sinclair for hours - only to see a ball bounce across the screen.

Man those were the days, LOL. Think we got way off the subject of the thread, so will stop my trip into the 70's and 80's.
BillA

Post by BillA »

terryjett wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:18 pm Damn tiny keyboards! You are right, no "poplar, just popular".

Anyway, a trip down memory lane. No where near the amount of Commodore stuff you have, but got an assortment. Kids today would laugh us out of the room if you hook the Commodore to old color tv and played one of those games...

Or, get a kid to sit down, open a monthly magazine, type in 1's and 0's into a timex sinclair for hours - only to see a ball bounce across the screen.

Man those were the days, LOL. Think we got way off the subject of the thread, so will stop my trip into the 70's and 80's.

Ah the lovely Timex Sinclair 1000, that was my first real computer, and boy it was tedious typing code on that membrane keyboard. lol But hey if it wasn't for those early computers (more like glorified calculators), then we probably wouldn't have all the cool stuff nowadays like mobile routers including the Qotom Q355G4 (just to get back on track here;).
While the Qotom Q355G4 is a nice general purpose pc, it's not purpose built like the ZBT WE826/WG3526 devices, so perhaps it's not for the average user, nonetheless it's great for tinkerers.

Return to “General and Unclassified”