Mini PCI-E adapter with SIM card slot

Sierra Wireless AirPrime Modem Card Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Adamaldo08
Has thanked: 0

Mini PCI-E adapter with SIM card slot

Post by Adamaldo08 »

I am new here so any help is greatly appreciated. I just purchased a Sierra wireless em7565 modem and also using a mini pci-e key b adapter with a top SIM card slot. These two parts are being installed in a we286-go. Question is what extra uses are there to having a SIM card slot on the mini pci-e adapter. I ordered a adapter that had the SIM card slot on the bottom but was sent an adapter with the SIM card slot on top. Can someone advise which is better? I don’t like having the Sierra wireless modem touching the SIM card slot on the adapter. Plus, if the SIM card does get installed under the modem then it’s extra buried inside the router which is a major pain in the ass! Just don’t want to damage these new parts due to my ignorance.
Didneywhorl

Re: Mini PCI-E adapter with SIM card slot

Post by Didneywhorl »

The Sim card slot on that adapter doesnt touch the modem as it seems it might, atleast not in my build it didnt. I have one installed in a WG3526 router using a Quectel EM20 modem. The SIM card slot isnt for use in routers that have SIM slots. The WE826T2/GO has its SIM slot on the outside, so it'd be a moot point for that particular install. I think the adapter with the SIM on the bottom actually does touch the board if mounted in the we826, but Jim Helms can answer that more accurately than I.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Adamaldo08 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:13 pm Question is what extra uses are there to having a SIM card slot on the mini pci-e adapter.
The SIM Card slot will work for applications where there is a Mini PCI-E slot in a router or PC that does not have a SIM Card slot, or for applications where a second SIM Card is required, though not very convenient to access.

I ordered a adapter that had the SIM card slot on the bottom but was sent an adapter with the SIM card slot on top. Can someone advise which is better?
The adapter with the bottom SIM Card slot will not work in a router, as it is designed for use on a laptop or PC. As stated on the listing:
  • This adapter is used to convert a mini PCI-E wifi slot (full or half) to use a mini PCI-E modem.
  • This M.2 adapter MUST USE the SIM Card slot that is available on the adapter–and is primary used to convert a mini PCI-E wifi slot (full or half) to use a mini PCI-E modem.
  • The adapter will ignore (i.e., not read) a SIM Card installed in a router’s SIM Card slot, while some routers may be unable to read the SIM Card slot on this adapter.
Now, compare that to the adapter with the top SIM Card slot:
  • This M.2 adapter is another one of very few adapters that we’ve discovered to work (consistently) with the EM series of Sierra Wireless M.2 modems–and we have a trash can full of various makes and models of M.2 adapters that do not work.
  • The extra SIM card slot is a bonus for applications where a SIM card slot is not available. Its use for a second SIM card is optional when using the adapter on routers that are already equipped with a SIM card slot. It’s use is not required.
I don’t like having the Sierra wireless modem touching the SIM card slot on the adapter. Plus, if the SIM card does get installed under the modem then it’s extra buried inside the router which is a major pain in the ass!
A M.2 modem does install close to the SIM Card slot holder which should be of little concern--although it would be a pain in the ass to swap out the SIM Card. But since the second SIM Card is optional, you can use the SIM Card on the router as if it were the only slot. If closeness is a concern, you can use a small (and thin) washer between the modem and the steel boss.
Just don’t want to damage these new parts due to my ignorance.
That is completely understandable, and all good questions.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Adamaldo08 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:13 pm I am new here so any help is greatly appreciated. I just purchased a Sierra wireless em7565 modem and also using a mini pci-e key b adapter with a top SIM card slot. These two parts are being installed in a we286-go. Question is what extra uses are there to having a SIM card slot on the mini pci-e adapter. I ordered a adapter that had the SIM card slot on the bottom but was sent an adapter with the SIM card slot on top. Can someone advise which is better? I don’t like having the Sierra wireless modem touching the SIM card slot on the adapter. Plus, if the SIM card does get installed under the modem then it’s extra buried inside the router which is a major pain in the ass! Just don’t want to damage these new parts due to my ignorance.

The top mounted sim tray version states:
"The extra SIM card slot is a bonus for applications where a SIM card slot is not available. Its use for a second SIM card is optional when using the adapter on routers that are already equipped with a SIM card slot. ** It’s use is not required. **
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/mini-p ... card-slot/

While the bottom mounted sim tray version states:
"The adapter will ignore (i.e., not read) a SIM Card installed in a router’s SIM Card slot, while some routers may be unable to read the SIM Card slot on this adapter." ** This version will likely use the adapter's sim tray over the router's. **
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/

Therefore your would probably want to go with the first top mounted sim tray version, since it's less likely to interfere with your router's sim tray.

P.S. Me and JimHelms cross posted a reply within minutes... it's all good, more info for you. lol
Adamaldo08
Has thanked: 0

Post by Adamaldo08 »

You guys are Awesome! I feel way better now moving forward with assembly. My main concern was I didn’t want to fry anything. And I didn’t want to assemble everything to find out I needed to use the SIM card slot on the adapter instead of the one one the side of the router. Thank you for all the information.

Return to “Sierra Wireless Modems”