WE1326 ATT APN connection issues

Topics related to ZBT Routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Brandon86
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WE1326 ATT APN connection issues

Post by Brandon86 »

Hey guys, has anybody had issues getting ATT sims to connect with the WE1326 Rouuter?

Setup is below:
WE1326 Router V05 256M
WiFix Firmware - says this at the bottom of screen (Powered by LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-18.228.31946-f64b152) / GoldenOrb_2019-04-09)
EM7565 purchased from this site
m.2 with sim adapter purchased from this site
Antenna purchased from this site

I tried the broadband APN name like I use for the SIM card in all my other uses for it, but it won't connect with this router. I have tried the TTL 65 setting and it hasn't helped either. The SIM card is one of the grandfathered Unlimited iPad Data plan SIMs. I have 2 of them, and they both don't work in this router, but do in everything else.

I'm 100% sure that it is not an antenna problem, Modem problem, or m.2 adapter problem. I popped in my Verizon Sim and changed apn to 'vzwinternet', and it works flawlessly. Actually on it right now posting this. I'm getting about 65down/45up with this setup(Is that normal, or should it be better?)

Has anyone else had issues with what APN settings to choose to get it to connect? The Modem sees it and gives the data on the SIM but won't connect to internet. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: WE1326 ATT APN connection issues

Post by JimHelms »

Brandon86 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:04 pm Hey guys, has anybody had issues getting ATT sims to connect with the WE1326 Router?

I tried the broadband APN name like I use for the SIM card in all my other uses for it, but it won't connect with this router. I
What does it return when you run the AT Command:

Code: Select all

AT!GSTATUS?
Brandon86

Post by Brandon86 »

Thank you for the quick reseponse! I'm sorry I forgot to post that. Below you'll see the results from the Verizon SIM and the ATT SIM. Now I just a minute ago reflashed the firmware back to the same version and set it up again. I got the Router/Modem to allow the SIM to connect, however I'm actually not able to use the internet. That status is also below. Odd scenario, becase it's connected, and shows a signal but can't actually do anything on the internet. Any ideas?

-------------------Verizon Successful-----------------------

AT!GSTATUS?
!GSTATUS: 
Current Time:  162		Temperature: 40
Reset Counter: 1		Mode:        ONLINE         
System mode:   LTE        	PS state:    Attached     
LTE band:      B66    		LTE bw:      20 MHz  
LTE Rx chan:   0		LTE Tx chan: 132072
LTE SSC1 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SSC2 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SSC3 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SSC4 state:NOT ASSIGNED
EMM state:     Registered     	Normal Service 
RRC state:     RRC Connected  
IMS reg state: No Srv  		

PCC RxM RSSI:  -59		PCC RxM RSRP:  -84
PCC RxD RSSI:  -60		PCC RxD RSRP:  -85
Tx Power:      --		TAC:         7101 (28929)
RSRQ (dB):     -11.5		Cell ID:     01badc0c (29023244)
SINR (dB):     23.6

OK
------------------ATT Unsuccessful------------------------------

AT!GSTATUS?
!GSTATUS: 
Current Time:  89		Temperature: 41
System mode:   LTE        	PS state:    Not attached 
LTE band:      B2     		LTE bw:      15 MHz  
LTE Rx chan:   725		LTE Tx chan: 18725
EMM state:     Deregistered   	Attaching      
RRC state:     RRC Idle       

PCC RxM RSSI:  -51		PCC RxM RSRP:  -84
PCC RxD RSSI:  -52		PCC RxD RSRP:  -85
Tx Power:      --		TAC:         1601 (5633)
RSRQ (dB):     -14.7		Cell ID:     01886c08 (25717768)
SINR (dB):     26.6

OK
------------------ATT Successful------------------------------

AT!GSTATUS?
!GSTATUS: 
Current Time:  155		Temperature: 39
System mode:   LTE        	PS state:    Attached     
LTE band:      B2     		LTE bw:      15 MHz  
LTE Rx chan:   725		LTE Tx chan: 18725

PCC RxM RSSI:  -49		PCC RxM RSRP:  -83
PCC RxD RSSI:  -50		PCC RxD RSRP:  -84
Tx Power:      --		TAC:         1601 (5633)
RSRQ (dB):     -14.0		Cell ID:     01886c08 (25717768)
SINR (dB):     29.2

OK
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Brandon86 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:58 pm Now I just a minute ago reflashed the firmware back to the same version and set it up again.
What did you flash, the router or modem and to what?
I got the Router/Modem to allow the SIM to connect, however I'm actually not able to use the internet. That status is also below. Odd scenario, becase it's connected, and shows a signal but can't actually do anything on the internet. Any ideas?
It looks to be network related:

EMM state:     Deregistered   	Attaching      

Which iPad is the plan for?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

We have ran across iPad plans that are not compatible with LTE. For example:

iPad IMEI Examples.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brandon86

Post by Brandon86 »

Does it look like it's network related because the 'RRC Idle' portion?>

Below is the firmware I flashed to the router. I have never flashed or done anything with the modem. It's whatever is installed when I purchased it(about 2 months ago), and I did not pay extra for the 'firmware upgrade' option. I didn't notice the option when purchasing or I would have. I haven't researched how to update the modem firmware yet.

I have also found a file named openwrt-we1326v5-GO2019-04-10-upgrade. I don't remember where on this site, I've been searching alot and have a ton of tabs open lol. Should I flash this firmware that looks like it was published 1 day newer, or could you link me to the newest firmware file to ensure I'm using the right one? I have the V5(256M from what I'v'e researched), says so on the actual board as well.

Hostname WiFiX
Model WE1326v5
Architecture MediaTek MT7621 ver:1 eco:3
Firmware Version GoldenOrb_2019-04-09
Kernel Version 4.14.63
Local Time Thu Jan 23 20:08:49 2020
Uptime 0h 8m 59s
Load Average 0.54, 0.66, 0.40

I did not know the SIMs were provisioned or different for the different iPads. This plan specifically was originated from the 1 year timeframe that ATT offered unlimited Data for 30 bucks a month back in like 2009. It's a grandfathered plan as long as I never miss a payment. I have 2 and both are on new SIMS that were activated later in newer iPads because the originals were on larger SIM cards. They are not the 'apple' branded white SIMS though, just regular ATT SIMS. To be honest I'm' pretty sure that it was on the original iPad mini that both were activated. I haven't actually owned an iPad in a long time.

If for instance these SIMS are activated on iPads that are not compatible, could I just purchase one of the supported iPads that IS supported like the iPad 4 listed above and activate them on there? Would it change the configuration/capability of current SIMS, or would I have to buy new SIMS? I'm sorry for asking a lot of questions, I've had a lot of different setups before, and messed with custom firmwares a lot, but this is a totally new problem for me.

Another issue that I've found is that the 5G WiFi is not working, it cannot be searched for, connected to or anything. I found the topic below related to the issue, but it doesn't seem like a solution was found at its end.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=446
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Okay, it is probably best at this point to start anew.

Your modem should be fine unless you have changed a lot of its configurations.

You can always update the firmware at a later time once everything is working correctly.

This is the plan I would follow:

I would download a fresh copy of the V5 firmware from HERE.

Remove the SIM Card from the router.

I would then use the Firmware Recovery Method to install the firmware. This should be only be done using an ethernet cable.

Once it has installed, I would use the Web Interface in GoldenOrb to flash it a second time with the same firmware. And, be sure and UNCHECK the box to save settings.

This process will assure all of the files and configurations from the previous builds are replaced.

Once the procedure is completed, login and enter your APN and change the Time Zone and Sync. Be sure to Save and Apply all settings. I would leave the WiFi setting as is for now.

I will PM you some thoughts on your iPad and plan.
Brandon86

Post by Brandon86 »

Jim,

Thank you so much for the assistance!

I followed your instructions above and refreshed everything, Then I had to restart the router multiple times due to the Modem switching between connected to towers or not. After that it has been staying connected the last 2 hours, getting speeds of around 130Mb Up/40Mb Dn.

The only issue I have left now, is the AC WiFi is still not working at all. Even if I directly input all the details of the AC wifi, I cannot connect a phone or anything else to it. Do you have any ideas of settings to try and fix that?

Really THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help though, you've been INCREDIBLY helpful!
BillA

Post by BillA »

Brandon86 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:53 pm Jim,

Thank you so much for the assistance!

I followed your instructions above and refreshed everything, Then I had to restart the router multiple times due to the Modem switching between connected to towers or not. After that it has been staying connected the last 2 hours, getting speeds of around 130Mb Up/40Mb Dn.

The only issue I have left now, is the AC WiFi is still not working at all. Even if I directly input all the details of the AC wifi, I cannot connect a phone or anything else to it. Do you have any ideas of settings to try and fix that?

Really THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help though, you've been INCREDIBLY helpful!

Jim could probably suggest a simple solution, in the meantime here are some things to try for your 5G WiFi issue...

Since most phones or even pc's don't seem to show the band info in their native WiFi hotspots list, an easy way to diagnose these issues is by using a WiFi analyzer on an Android phone (made after 2014) which you know for sure has both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands available. You can use something like WiFi Analyzer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nalyzerpro), or any other popular analyzer in the PlayStore which shows the hotspots categorized by bands. It's a great tool for trying to solve all kinds of WiFi issues.

If your phone can see the 5G signal, yet still unable to connect, then there's likely an authentication error. First, click to forget the router's current hotspot name if that name has been registered in your phone at some point in the past. When you click on the router's hotspot name on 5G, do you get the a prompt asking for the password? Now, this is important...
If not, then they have a total protocol breakdown, but if it asks for the password then you're either entering the code incorrectly or it has been set to some non-standard characters including the hotspot's name. In the router make sure to use a simple hotspot name like "HOTSPOT", and for the password simply enter 12345678
If none of these suggestions work, then it's possible that the router either has a defective 5G WiFi chip OR it's 5G antenna connections were soldered on incorrectly or with a short (seen this issue before and corrected it by resoldering the antenna wires properly). Last but not least, you could also play around with the 5G WiFi's power settings, fragmentation length, CTS/RTS Threshold, and Preamble Mode (Long/Short). Just remember, one step at a time. ;)
Brandon86

Post by Brandon86 »

Bill,

Thank you for the quick response and tips!

I actually tried the WiFi Analyzer app on a tablet and phone already, unfortunately neither of them see the signal at all. I have turned off my other router and unplugged it for fear of signal noise/overlapping/same channel or anything like that. Then I removed the 2.4 antennas, and turned that channel off. I also tried scanning all of my neighbors signals with the WiFi analyzer app and then selected a channel in the 5G settings that was not already taken.

At this point I'm thinking the hardware is bad, but thanks for bringing up the possibility of a bad solder connection or short. I remember the solder connections not being very pretty when I was putting this thing together. I'm probably going to take this thing apart 'AGAIN' haha and remove/resolder those connections tomorrow if they look suspect under a magnifying glass. I really hope it's that and not the 5G WiFi chip, because that's the sole reason I bought this router over the other options......
BillA

Post by BillA »

Brandon86 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:16 pm Bill,

Thank you for the quick response and tips!

I actually tried the WiFi Analyzer app on a tablet and phone already, unfortunately neither of them see the signal at all. I have turned off my other router and unplugged it for fear of signal noise/overlapping/same channel or anything like that. Then I removed the 2.4 antennas, and turned that channel off. I also tried scanning all of my neighbors signals with the WiFi analyzer app and then selected a channel in the 5G settings that was not already taken.

At this point I'm thinking the hardware is bad, but thanks for bringing up the possibility of a bad solder connection or short. I remember the solder connections not being very pretty when I was putting this thing together. I'm probably going to take this thing apart 'AGAIN' haha and remove/resolder those connections tomorrow if they look suspect under a magnifying glass. I really hope it's that and not the 5G WiFi chip, because that's the sole reason I bought this router over the other options......

My pleasure, we're all here to help each other...
About the the solder job, even if it's a bad one (unless it's totally shorted out by the solder), as long as you have your WiFi analyzer in close proximity to the router (within inches) it should still pick up *something* regardless of other 5G WiFi signals around you. So you're not getting any 5G signal at all, or just unable to enter your password?
After you have exhausted all other firmware possibilities, if you simply desolder the 5G antenna cable from the main board, the open joint should be able to radiate enough signal to be detectable by a close by analyzer.

Before spending time on the hardware, I would first reflash the router with some different firmwares such as
OpenWRT firmware
http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.0/targets/ramips/mt7621/openwrt-19.07.0-ramips-mt7621-zbt-we1326-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
or the Rooter firmware
https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/download ... -04-10.zip
and finally WiFix firmware
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... zM7N7js0Mp

After each flash (twice for good measure, once in bootloader mode, then in web interface mode), do a full factory reset, set up the Time Zone, APN, and give the hotspot a simple name such as "HOTSPOT" and password "12345678" (leave all other settings alone). Do the same double flash, factory reset, and Time Zone/APN setup after flashing each firmware, also make sure to have the Save Settings unchecked.
Last but not least, try a good quality higher amperage power adapter (2-3Amps), as these routers are known to act up when under-powered. The aim is to figure out whether it's hardware or firmware related. For some reason the 5G WiFi has been an issue for others too, so you're not alone.

As a cheesy workaround, you could connect a cheap 5G WiFi access point (or a converted router) to one of the LAN ports on the router, in order to provide a 5G WiFi signal to your devices. Yeah-yeah I know... no need to say it. lol
Honestly, after all these suggestions, I'm out of ideas, so hopefully others can chime in with their tips too.
Brandon86

Post by Brandon86 »

Ok,

I got a chance to open it back up. Here is a photo of the solder connections on the 5G antenna? Do you think I should remove and resolder these connections? They look secure, but I'm not really sure.
https://ibb.co/ncd8qrs

I''m' about to try out some different firmwares here in a few minutes.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Brandon86 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:59 pm Ok,

I got a chance to open it back up. Here is a photo of the solder connections on the 5G antenna? Do you think I should remove and resolder these connections? They look secure, but I'm not really sure.
https://ibb.co/ncd8qrs

I''m' about to try out some different firmwares here in a few minutes.

While not the prettiest solder job (grounded on one side only), it should be fine, as long as the middle wire isn't shorted to ground, that's all that matters. Unfortunately even if you remove the antennas and try to measure the conductivity between the ground and middle wire, it's most likely shorted out on the main board via a shunt or coil, so you can't really go by that, just use visual (maybe use a magnifying lens to inspect the solder joints, especially the middle pin). I would have applied a nice round solder glob on both sides of the ground shield and the circuit board, but it's fine the way it is. As long as there are no obvious shorts, I would leave any hardware mods for last. Let us know how the firmware changes affect the 5G WiFi (if at all).
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

If its any consolation, Ive never been too impressed with the built in wifi of any of the zbt routers. The we826 is surprisingly decent, but its 2.4G only.

Id just buy a unifi AP or similar equipment thats made for that specific purpose.

Just my 2 pennies
Brandon86

Post by Brandon86 »

Yeah,

I'm gonna leave the solder alone for now, I don't have any time for the rest of the weekend to mess with it, really hope I can get it working early next week, because I don't wanna buy more equipment. This setup i'm building specifically for a Sprinter RV conversion I'm building, and I don't want any extra power drain, or extra junk to plug in at all. Trying to get an all inclusive setup.

I currently have only the 2V power supply that came with it. I didn't buy the upgraded power plug because it would be wasted money after putting it in the RV. When I wire it into my RV, it will be able to pull as many amps as it needs. Plan is to wire it directly to my 24v-12V converter, and then have it run on a 5 amp fuse. Anybody see an issue with that?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Sounds cool, except Id make sure the router doesn't use the wall plug for a regulator. Ensure the input to it stays at a steady 12v, or whatever its rated for. I'm sure you thought that too though.

Return to “ZBT Routers”