Using a external hard drive on Mofi4500

Topics related to MoFi branded routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
bcd1975
Has thanked: 0

Using a external hard drive on Mofi4500

Post by bcd1975 »

I’m new here so first thanks for letting me join. I’m trying to get some help on installing a hard drive via usb on my mofi4500 box. I can’t find anything in the settings for samba or storage so I’m at a loss on how to set it up so I can share stuff between all my devices
Didneywhorl

Re: Using a external hard drive on Mofi4500

Post by Didneywhorl »

Ive not used the mofi firmware myself, but hopefully someone else on here that is familiar with it can help.

I use the same base device, zbt/wifix we826t2, but Im currently using wifix custom goldenorb firmware. I play with it tonight and see ir its similar.
bcd1975

Post by bcd1975 »

Thanks, I called mofi and they’re sending me the firmware to install samba and that should solve my problem. As soon as I can get it installed and running I’ll post again. I tried the wifix goldenorb flash, I liked the layout but couldn’t get all my led’s to work right so I put the mofi firmware back
BillA

Post by BillA »

bcd1975 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:38 pm Thanks, I called mofi and they’re sending me the firmware to install samba and that should solve my problem. As soon as I can get it installed and running I’ll post again. I tried the wifix goldenorb flash, I liked the layout but couldn’t get all my led’s to work right so I put the mofi firmware back

There's a fix available for the LED's somewhere on this forum, it takes a little tinkering with some scripts. Also you can try this forum https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3vx1k1r3 by talking to Dairyman to help you fix the LED's (and no, he's not a dairy farmer he-he). Sometimes one has to compromise between functionality and aesthetics. ;)
bcd1975

Post by bcd1975 »

Ok I installed the firmware and at this point I’ll admit I’m lost and in over my head. I’m trying to get my formulerZ8 box to connect, I’m on the network storage page and no matter what I enter it will not mount. Here is the screenshots of the mofi4500 samba settings and a screenshot of the info the formuler box needs. At this point I’m sure I need to add something but don’t really know what I’m doing. Any help is much appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bcd1975

Post by bcd1975 »

Ok I’ve been reading up on a few things about SAMBA. Looks like I need to change or add things in the template but I’m confused on what needs to be done. Been researching for the last few hours and feel like I’ve only moved forward a inch lol
BillA

Post by BillA »

bcd1975 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:19 pm Ok I’ve been reading up on a few things about SAMBA. Looks like I need to change or add things in the template but I’m confused on what needs to be done. Been researching for the last few hours and feel like I’ve only moved forward a inch lol

You could also try a couple of other forums which may have more technical info available about SAMBA, such as:
Whirlpool ( https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3vx1k1r3 ), or OpenWRT ( https://forum.openwrt.org/ ).
bcd1975

Post by bcd1975 »

Ok thanks all, I finally got it up and running but there’s issues. Maybe I’m asking too much out of the SAMBA program of the mofi firmware just can’t handle it. The problem is if I pause a show on my box and then start to play it the video is choppy then crashes. If I try to record a video it disconnects me from the storage. I have a extra mofi box to play around with so I’m trying to find goldenorb or another firmware that’s set up for the mofi4500 box. I tried using the we826 firmware and it didn’t seem to work right. The USB port didn’t work along with other stuff.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

If I remember right, on the official site, ofmodemsandmen, there are three firmware images for these type routers. 1 has VPN support (4MB), 1 has usb support(4MB), 1 has both (8MB). I think the mofi/we826 has only 4MB for the firmware and my guess is its optimized/compiled to run VPNs over USB samba stuff.

I could be wrong

Return to “MoFi Routers”