Are Sprint sim cards device locked?

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
radec

Are Sprint sim cards device locked?

Post by radec »

Hi All,

Anyone have experience putting a Sprint LTE Sim Card in a new device? do you have to have sprint update the account with the new device IMEI/MEID?

Just curious what peoples experiences are.

Thanks!

-Radec
Didneywhorl

Re: Are Sprint sim cards device locked?

Post by Didneywhorl »

Depends....

If you mean from one Sprint branded device to another Sprint branded device in order to swap to the new one, like one Sprint hotspot to another Sprint hotspot, then no. The SIM cards are provisioned to the device its activated in.
In that case you simply call Sprint and tell them that your device broke, heres the phone number attached to the device, and then give them the new drvices SIM info and they will swap the device for you free of charge.

If you mean swapping the Sprint sim from a branded device into a generic device (Like a WE826T2 with a Sierra Wireless modem) with generic firmware, then yes. It goes down all the time.

I've been using Spring in my home built devices for almost 2 years now, as well as Tmobile and ATT.
radec

Post by radec »

Interesting! Thanks for the detailed response, I was getting a lot of mixed messages searching the different forums.

I have a Franklin r850 that the usb port broke on so it doesn't charge, I have another r850 I tried putting the sim in but it said sim locked. I'm waiting for a response from tech support (I go through mobile citizen, so I haven't just called sprint).

Anyway really cool to know that the generic devices, like Sierra Wireless modem work, I have been wondering about that.

might have to build my own device, I've been using sprint hotspots for about three years.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

You shouldnt need mobile citizen, you can call Sprint directly and have it swapped in minutes. Just make sure you write down the device (r850)phone number. Its the account number.
Call Sprint, tell them your device broke. Give them the telephone number of your r850, and then give them the info they need on the new device. Ie: imei and sim numbers. They should take care of it, no need to tell them anything else. Its your device, your service, no harm in trying. Just dont go blabbing about how its from mobile citizen, not from them, etc, etc. Unless of course they require that info asking you directly.
Ive done it with my Calyx hotspot from r850 to r850 to r910, trying to get an r.ispsn provisioned sim for my device.
radec

Post by radec »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:35 am You shouldnt need mobile citizen, you can call Sprint directly and have it swapped in minutes. Just make sure you write down the device (r850)phone number. Its the account number.
Call Sprint, tell them your device broke. Give them the telephone number of your r850, and then give them the info they need on the new device. Ie: imei and sim numbers. They should take care of it, no need to tell them anything else. Its your device, your service, no harm in trying. Just dont go blabbing about how its from mobile citizen, not from them, etc, etc. Unless of course they require that info asking you directly.
Ive done it with my Calyx hotspot from r850 to r850 to r910, trying to get an r.ispsn provisioned sim for my device.
OK tha'ts good info. I was thinking about just calling sprint. Yeah it's always best to give as little info as possible, with most things in life haha

Mobile Citizen is giving me the run around, saying they can't switch me to my other r850 because I didn't buy it from them.
Anyway this whole thing is making me think I should go the WE826-T2 route. I don't use the mobility aspect of the hotspots, I just use it for my home internet, and these hotspots aren't exactly that robust. Might just spend the money.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

That is the exact route I went, started with the r850, then r910 and never satisfied with the device serving my home internet. I went with a wg3526, but I recommend the 826 if you dont need PoE to power it. Mine is on the room in an enclosure.

I do, though, recommend using a Quectel modem (or a telit, no personal experience with telit) instead of a Sierra IF your using it on Sprint. The Sierra MC7455 is the most popular, and at a good price. It works very well, but for some odd reason it refuses to stop disconnecting 1-2x a day. I used mine for about 1.5 years before changing modems. Its not unbearable, just annoying. The Quectel I swapped in has had ZERO connection issues. I have the EM20 modem (The Wireless Haven sells em for around $250), but you can get a lower cost model for sure. The EC25AF I think is one that comes to mind. Other Sierras may be fine (em7565, 7511) but I swear I've seen people posting similar issues with Sprint.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:11 pm That is the exact route I went, started with the r850, then r910 and never satisfied with the device serving my home internet. I went with a wg3526, but I recommend the 826 if you dont need PoE to power it. Mine is on the room in an enclosure.

I do, though, recommend using a Quectel modem (or a telit, no personal experience with telit) instead of a Sierra IF your using it on Sprint. The Sierra MC7455 is the most popular, and at a good price. It works very well, but for some odd reason it refuses to stop disconnecting 1-2x a day. I used mine for about 1.5 years before changing modems. Its not unbearable, just annoying. The Quectel I swapped in has had ZERO connection issues. I have the EM20 modem (The Wireless Haven sells em for around $250), but you can get a lower cost model for sure. The EC25AF I think is one that comes to mind. Other Sierras may be fine (em7565, 7511) but I swear I've seen people posting similar issues with Sprint.

You're probably thinking about the Quectel EP06-A, because the EC25-AF doesn't have any Sprint bands.

EC25-AF, mPCIe, CAT-4, CAx0, Bands:
B2/B4/B5/B12/B13/B14/B66/B71 - No Sprint bands, but great for ATT, TMO, VZW

EP06-A, mPCIe, CAT-6, CAx2, Bands:
B2/B4/B5/B7/B12/B13/B25/B26/B29/B30/B66 - Sprint bands: 25, 26

EM12, M.2, CAT-12, CAx3, Bands: B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B9/B12/B13/B14/B17/B18/B19/B20/B21/B25/B26/B28/B29/B30/B32/B38/B39/B40/B41/B66 - Sprint bands: 25, 26, 41

EM20, M.2, CAT-20, CAx4, Bands: B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B12/B13/B14/B17/B18/B19/B20/B25/B26/B28/B29/B30/B38/B39/B40/B41/B42/B43/B46/B48/B66 - Sprint bands: 25, 26, 41
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

yeah, I think the em12 was more in line with what I was thinking, but I know the EC25 (AF variant) has been mentioned with people only using FDD bands just like you said there, def an older cheaper module.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:38 pm yeah, I think the em12 was more in line with what I was thinking, but I know the EC25 (AF variant) has been mentioned with people only using FDD bands just like you said there, def an older cheaper module.

If you have some extra cash to burn, might as well upgrade to the latest 5G modems... (warning, prices are insane, and they require up to 5 antennas!)

Quectel RM500Q 5G
https://www.4gltemall.com/quectel-rm500q.html

Telit FN980 5G
https://www.4gltemall.com/telit-fn980.html

Fibocom FG100 5G Intel chipset
https://www.4gltemall.com/fibocom-fg100.html

Fibocom FB101 5G Qualcomm chipset
https://www.4gltemall.com/fibocom-fb101.html
radec

Post by radec »

BillA wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:03 pm If you have extra cash to burn, might as well upgrade to the latest 5G modems... (warning, prices are insane!)

Quectel RM500Q 5G
https://www.4gltemall.com/quectel-rm500q.html

Telit FN980 5G
https://www.4gltemall.com/telit-fn980.html

Fibocom FG100 5G Intel chipset
https://www.4gltemall.com/fibocom-fg100.html

Fibocom FB101 5G Qualcomm chipset
https://www.4gltemall.com/fibocom-fb101.html
wish I had money like that to burn! Not the case though. actually still considering the MC7455/EM7455 even though it disconnects just because it is so cheap. haha it's just hard to beat 30bucks on ebay.

thanks for all the great info!

EDIT: seems like the EP06-A is relatively inexpensive as well, I'll have to look into it more
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Bill, you read my mind. LOL

I'm in talks with Quectel right now for prices. :)

I've never touched the Telits or Fibocoms .... yet
BillA

Post by BillA »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:33 pm Bill, you read my mind. LOL

I'm in talks with Quectel right now for prices. :)

I've never touched the Telits or Fibocoms .... yet

Yeah mind-reading is one of my special talents. lol
I use the Quectel EP06-A almost exclusively, it's a great value, has all the major US bands, and no disconnects.
radec

Post by radec »

BillA wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:40 pm Yeah mind-reading is one of my special talents. lol
I use the Quectel EP06-A almost exclusively, it's a great value, has all the major US bands, and no disconnects.
I ended up getting a Quectel EP06-A, it did seem like a good value.
Got it working with sprint this evening. Although it's currently getting significantly slower speed then my franklin r850 did on the same band. not complaining though, I just have lots to learn!

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

EDIT: I did NOT get the EP06-A. I got the EM06-A. oops sorry for the typo.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The franklin MAY have been getting better signal. The EP06 is a more capable modem, but the hotspots can be pretty well optimized out of the box
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Are you speed testing over LAN or Wifi on tge new device?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Also the r850 can pick up B41, the Quectel EP06 does not I think I read. Sprint Band 41 is the speedy DL channel, but very capped upload, whereas the FDD, lower, channels (25,26) CAN have better upload speeds but dont match B41 DL speeds.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I was incorrect, B41 is available on the EP-06

But you may want to check if your using B41, Modem->Network Status I believe

Or At command AT+CSQ I believe
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:49 am I was incorrect, B41 is available on the EP-06

But you may want to check if your using B41, Modem->Network Status I believe

Or At command AT+CSQ I believe
The EP06-A does not have Band 41. Only the EP06-E and then it lacks a lot of the other bands. This is the reason we stock the EM06-A which does have Band 41.
radec

Post by radec »

JimHelms wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:23 pm The EP06-A does not have Band 41. Only the EP06-E and then it lacks a lot of the other bands. This is the reason we stock the EM06-A which does have Band 41.
oops I must admit I have the EM06-A not a EP06-A
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Try using this command and see is it helps:

Code: Select all

AT+QCFG="nwscanmode",3,1
That will force the modem to use LTE Only.

To re-enable it to auto mode:

AT+QCFG="nwscanmode",0,1
radec

Post by radec »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:42 am Are you speed testing over LAN or Wifi on tge new device?
:lol: good point I was testing over Wifi. I will run the test again over Ethernet and see if there is a difference. It's definitely a noticeable difference when browsing...but again that is over wifi. The speedtest.net results are about half as fast, again on wifi.

The franklin hotspot I was using always connected on band 25. I have been connected band 25 on my EM06-A. I will have to try band 41. Interesting to here the bandwidth differences between b25 and b41.

I really haven't messed with my setup much yet. dang work keeps getting in the way!

Any idea of MBIM vs QMI would make any differences on sprint? It is currently using MBIM.
Also wondering if the TTL settings makes a difference, currently set at 65.
radec

Post by radec »

JimHelms wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:03 pm Try using this command and see is it helps:

AT+QCFG="nwscanmode",3,1
That will force the modem to use LTE Only.

To re-enable it to auto mode:

AT+QCFG="nwscanmode",0,1
Ok thanks
I did set it to LTE only via LuCI web interface under Modem > Miscellaneous

I think it might of been what got it connected in the first place. When I first started it up it wasn't connecting at all.
BillA

Post by BillA »

radec wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:09 pm Any idea of MBIM vs QMI would make any differences on sprint? It is currently using MBIM.

According to a thread on this forum, QMI mode seems to lower latency especially on CDMA/LTE carriers such as Verizon and Sprint (not sure about GSM/LTE carriers). You could give it a try, and if it doesn't make much difference then set it back to MBIM mode. It will likely not give you higher speeds, however it should lower latency which helps loading webpages quicker. In some cases TTL values can make a speed difference (ex. on Verizon), or no data at all (ex. on Tmobile once all the hotspot data has been used up).
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Ya got me, misread the chart on Quectels site.

So yeah, Id say that the R850 was faster because it was rockin it on B41.
BillA

Post by BillA »

radec wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:09 pm Any idea of MBIM vs QMI would make any differences on sprint? It is currently using MBIM.

After a bit of research here are the three modes available on Quectel modems (EP06 and newer).

AT+QCFG="usbnet",0 - QMI/PPP/Default
AT+QCFG="usbnet",1 - ECM
AT+QCFG="usbnet",2 - MBIM
radec

Post by radec »

BillA wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:31 am After a bit of research here are the three modes available on Quectel modems (EP06 and newer).

AT+QCFG="usbnet",0 - QMI/PPP/Default
AT+QCFG="usbnet",1 - ECM
AT+QCFG="usbnet",2 - MBIM
Thanks! for some reason I don't thank that is in the AT command manual from Quectel. I'll let you know If I get brave enough to try it. I just want to screw things up at this point. It is at least working after all. :lol:
radec

Post by radec »

Just a random update in case its useful to anyone.

I've been successfully running the WE826-T2 with a EM06-A on Sprint for a couple weeks now. Its been great and stable.
I get 25-30 Mbps down and 2-4 Mbps up on B25, sometimes higher but that is pretty average. I live in a fairly treed area, I think I could get a clear line of site if I put my antennas up in a tree. But for now these speeds are just fine for me.

I couldn't get the modem to connect on B41 and B26 seemed slower. So at the moment I have the modem locked to B25 and B41 (just in case it randomly decides to connect to B41).
BillA

Post by BillA »

radec wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:06 pm Just a random update in case its useful to anyone.

I've been successfully running the WE826-T2 with a EM06-A on Sprint for a couple weeks now. Its been great and stable.
I get 25-30 Mbps down and 2-4 Mbps up on B25, sometimes higher but that is pretty average. I live in a fairly treed area, I think I could get a clear line of site if I put my antennas up in a tree. But for now these speeds are just fine for me.

I couldn't get the modem to connect on B41 and B26 seemed slower. So at the moment I have the modem locked to B25 and B41 (just in case it randomly decides to connect to B41).

You can try forcing it onto band 41, by excluding all other bands (in other words only including band 41 in the band list), provided that there's enough signal in your particular area.

radec wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:46 pm Thanks! for some reason I don't thank that is in the AT command manual from Quectel. I'll let you know If I get brave enough to try it. I just want to screw things up at this point. It is at least working after all. :lol:
Those AT commands have been taken from a Quectel AT manual.
radec

Post by radec »

BillA wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:32 pm You can try forcing it onto band 41, by excluding all other bands (in other words only including band 41 in the band list), provided that there's enough signal in your particular area.
Yeah I tried that a few times, couldn't ever get it to connect. So it must not be a strong enough signal on band 41. I did verify the tower has b41. If I decide to upgrade the antennas or move them, I will try again.
BillA

Post by BillA »

radec wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:45 pm Yeah I tried that a few times, couldn't ever get it to connect. So it must not be a strong enough signal on band 41. I did verify the tower has b41. If I decide to upgrade the antennas or move them, I will try again.

It's either a weak signal, or some firmware issue with the EM06, you could try updating the modem's firmware to the latest. While being forced onto band 41, post a status report.
AT+qnetdevstatus

If you have uqmi installed, then you can try the commands below.
To install uqmi, install the opkgs kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan, luci-proto-qmi, and uqmi.
A "/dev/cdc-wdm0" device node should appear after installing the qmi-wwan kmod.

uqmi --get-status
uqmi --sync - Clear modem status
uqmi autoconnect - Autoconnect whenever the connection drops (or by AT+QCFG="qmisync",1)
In the above, you may have to substitute "uqmi" with "uqmi -d /dev/cdc-wdm0", and "wdm<#>" with your modem#.

uqmi -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --get-current-settings
uqmi -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --get-capabilities
uqmi -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --get-data-status
uqmi -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --get-serving-system
uqmi -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --get-signal-info

Example of --get-signal-info status:
{
"type": "lte",
"rssi": -63,
"rsrq": -10,
"rsrp": -91,
"snr": 88
}
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

This thread is some very good info!

Got to start putting more pennies in my "mad money" pickle jar to save up for the EM06-A. Got to have one after reading this thread.
saw2645
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by saw2645 »

BillA, I see here where you mentioned updating the firmware on the EM06, any chance you have info on how to update the firmware on the EM20. I have asked here an over on rooter for help with windows drivers an web site for firmware, but I never got any replies. Thanks.
BillA

Post by BillA »

saw2645 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:07 pm BillA, I see here where you mentioned updating the firmware on the EM06, any chance you have info on how to update the firmware on the EM20. I have asked here an over on rooter for help with windows drivers an web site for firmware, but I never got any replies. Thanks.

Quectel doesn't like to share the update links, because they could come out with a new version at any time, therefore you would miss out on the latest firmware.
You can always send them a firmware update request, just make sure to specify your model# and operating system.

Email: support@quectel.com
OR
https://www.quectel.com/support/contact.htm
saw2645
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by saw2645 »

BillA wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:17 pm For some reason they don't like to share firmware update files publicly, but will send you a link if you request it.
Make sure to specify your model# and operating system.

Email: support@quectel.com
OR
https://www.quectel.com/support/contact.htm
Thank you
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Let us know if they gave you a link
BillA

Post by BillA »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:22 am Let us know if they gave you a link
The reason why normally you shouldn't use other's links, is because Quectel could release a newer update at any time, therefore you will not get the latest firmware. Anyway, here's the link for those who are looking for the EP06-A firmware package EP06ALAR02A07M4G (note: this is for the "EP06-A", NOT the "EM06-A" model!)
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=43 ... 2261739964

Return to “Internet Service Providers”