Verizon data plan options

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
scuba_steve999
Been thanked: 0

Verizon data plan options

Post by scuba_steve999 »

Verizon provides the best signal in my area and I'm seeking to find all options available for how to get an account that provides unlimited unthrottled data. I currently know of unlimitedville ($250) and UnlimitedIRL ($189). What other options exist?

Thanks!
BillA

Re: Verizon data plan options

Post by BillA »

scuba_steve999 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:53 pm Verizon provides the best signal in my area and I'm seeking to find all options available for how to get an account that provides unlimited unthrottled data. I currently know of unlimitedville ($250) and UnlimitedIRL ($189). What other options exist?

Thanks!

Wow, those prices are insane, first I thought that will cover a whole year's worth of service, but then I see PER MONTH. Wowwza!
If you really wanna stick with Verizon coverage then check out Visible for $40/mo (lower speeds, high latency), or PagePlus $55/mo (normal speeds, average latency). Then there's also Tmobile/SimpleMobile for $50/month (high speeds, low latency), or ATT $35/month (average speeds, average latency). In order to use these unlimited service you will need to a compatible router from thewirelesshaven.com
scuba_steve999

Post by scuba_steve999 »

Thanks for the feedback on this!

Couple of follow up questions.

Visible: I chatted with their online rep and I asked if they sold a sim only plan to work with a LTE router/modem and they said no. Is that where the "compatible router from thewirelesshaven.com" comes in?

PagePlus: I noticed that their fine print states that it's likely that you're going to come under review after 60GB worth of data. Do folks typically not have a problem with this?

Also curious about the latency comments. Is that anecdotal, or is there a reason they would have a higher latency? It's just Verizon's cell service, yeah?
BillA

Post by BillA »

scuba_steve999 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:54 pm Thanks for the feedback on this!

Couple of follow up questions.

Visible: I chatted with their online rep and I asked if they sold a sim only plan to work with a LTE router/modem and they said no. Is that where the "compatible router from thewirelesshaven.com" comes in?

PagePlus: I noticed that their fine print states that it's likely that you're going to come under review after 60GB worth of data. Do folks typically not have a problem with this?

Also curious about the latency comments. Is that anecdotal, or is there a reason they would have a higher latency? It's just Verizon's cell service, yeah?

Generally speaking, if you're gonna go by the fine print of ANY carrier, then you will probably never going find a suitable service, it simply doesn't exists. As of now, none of the carriers are in the business of providing data services specifically for a router, you'll just have to do your homework, then pray to the carrier Gods, and align your antennas to be in full phase with the moon so they don't cut your service off (ok-ok, maybe not the last two items, but definitely tweak your TTL... lol).

Getting a "compatible router" from thewirelesshaven.com, means most OpenWRT routers they sell. Inquire further with the store for suggestions covering your specific needs. ;)

60gigs?! Pffffff! Most people blow through hundreds of gigs per month mostly by watching videos, TV streaming, etc, so again, forget the fine print.

Those latencies are from personal observations in my neck of the woods, and while your mileage may vary, it should give you some idea on what to expect. Visible's high latency has been reported by all their users, which stems from running their own servers on top of Verizon's for both billing and mind control purposes.... damn I'm on a roll tonight for some reason, somebody stop me!! hee-hee As far as we know, it's just Visible that has this issue, not Verizon.
Tim65
Has thanked: 0

Post by Tim65 »

Did you end up going with unlimited ville?? The place I was using isn’t working anymore looking for something new. 250 a month seems pretty steep though. Could I go get the prepaid Verizon unlimited and just put it in my mofi 4500 router?
BillA

Post by BillA »

Tim65 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:50 pm Did you end up going with unlimited ville?? The place I was using isn’t working anymore looking for something new. 250 a month seems pretty steep though. Could I go get the prepaid Verizon unlimited and just put it in my mofi 4500 router?

Take a look at some alternative plans for your router here > https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790
optymyze

Post by optymyze »

BillA wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:43 am Generally speaking, if you're gonna go by the fine print of ANY carrier, then you will probably never going find a suitable service, it simply doesn't exists. As of now, none of the carriers are in the business of providing data services specifically for a router, you'll just have to do your homework, then pray to the carrier Gods, and align your antennas to be in full phase with the moon so they don't cut your service off (ok-ok, maybe not the last two items, but definitely tweak your TTL... lol).

Getting a "compatible router" from thewirelesshaven.com, means most OpenWRT routers they sell. Inquire further with the store for suggestions covering your specific needs. ;)

60gigs?! Pffffff! Most people blow through hundreds of gigs per month mostly by watching videos, TV streaming, etc, so again, forget the fine print.

Those latencies are from personal observations in my neck of the woods, and while your mileage may vary, it should give you some idea on what to expect. Visible's high latency has been reported by all their users, which stems from running their own servers on top of Verizon's for both billing and mind control purposes.... damn I'm on a roll tonight for some reason, somebody stop me!! hee-hee As far as we know, it's just Visible that has this issue, not Verizon.
Hey Bill! Do you have personal experience of blowing through say 600GB on PagePlus over several months and not getting shut down? I'm about to serve my household of 4 and my grandma and my uncle with this service, but I really want to gather data points saying this is going to be fine before doing so. I'm not able to find anyone personally with such a glowing review. I read a lot of Verizon shutdowns. Verizon is our only possible route, and I'm basically having to decide either to go through PagePlus or a 3rd party carrier such as mainframecentral.com
BillA

Post by BillA »

optymyze wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:57 am Hey Bill! Do you have personal experience of blowing through say 600GB on PagePlus over several months and not getting shut down? I'm about to serve my household of 4 and my grandma and my uncle with this service, but I really want to gather data points saying this is going to be fine before doing so. I'm not able to find anyone personally with such a glowing review. I read a lot of Verizon shutdowns. Verizon is our only possible route, and I'm basically having to decide either to go through PagePlus or a 3rd party carrier such as mainframecentral.com

Unfortunately I don't know anyone using several hundred gigs per month on PagePlus. I run on Tmobile based SimpleMobile, and I've been using around 300gigs per month for the past 5 years without any issues. They are pretty lax when it comes to data usage, on the other hand they will disconnect your service completely if you go over 24gigs in a single day (that's a gig per hour) in order to protect the network, which is understandable and fair. Honestly, all carriers have some kind of soft data limits, therefore I wouldn't advise using more than several hundred gigs per month on any of them.
Once 5G has been fully deployed nationwide, I would think that soft data limits would be set much higher or lifted completely, since a lot more data can be transferred on a high speed 5G connection compared to 4G-LTE. It all comes down to network efficiency, it's not like they don't want you to use all the data you want, but with current networks speeds they have to portion it out so everyone gets a bit of the slice (so to speak).
optymyze

Post by optymyze »

BillA wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:50 am Unfortunately I don't know anyone using several hundred gigs per month on PagePlus. I run on Tmobile based SimpleMobile, and I've been using around 300gigs per month for the past 5 years without any issues. They are pretty lax when it comes to data usage, on the other hand they will disconnect your service completely if you go over 24gigs in a single day (that's a gig per hour) in order to protect the network, which is understandable and fair. Honestly, all carriers have some kind of soft data limits, therefore I wouldn't advise using more than several hundred gigs per month on any of them.
Once 5G has been fully deployed nationwide, I would think that soft data limits would be set much higher or lifted completely, since a lot more data can be transferred on a high speed 5G connection compared to 4G-LTE. It all comes down to network efficiency, it's not like they don't want you to use all the data you want, but with current networks speeds they have to portion it out so everyone gets a bit of the slice (so to speak).
Ok, I have a couple of things in the pipeline I'm going to try. I want to try PagePlus and I saw you can dethrottle video and activate it anonymously etc. How can I get in touch with you about that?

Also, I have a couple of questions. I also saw how you posted how the modem itself can be an incredibly important choice in getting faster speeds. You stated that you got 50mbps down with a cat6 modem, but 300+mbps down with a cat18 modem. Here, I'm just curious if you can explain why. Shouldn't the cat6 modem be handle to up to like 150mbps down? Does it have something to do with processing speed maybe? I guess I'm just curious because I just purchased a cat6 modem, but if I'd still be better off with a cat12 or cat18 I'd obviously rather have that... More info here would be appreciated.

Next question. So, I plan on receiving the cell signal into a modem via external antennas, then using a "cellular router" solely to configure modem settings (ttl values, band lock, IMEI, etc) because then the internet will be ran through a fiber line (there's quite some distance and wireless PTP wont work here) into my house to my real router. I guess my question here is, do I actually need a "cellular router" or just a modem case like this one to house the modem? : https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/

Could I just convert the signal from the USB WAN coming out of the modem to fiber and get that to my house and main router? Is there any way to control TTL values, band lock, etc without a "cellular router" just directly to the modem? As you can see, there are some things here I'm still unsure about even though I have it mostly figured out.

Also, just curious Bill, have you found that 4x4 MIMO is helpful in your particular situation or heard in general where it is? I've heard repeatedly 2x2 definitely helps, and in theory 4x4 should but I just haven't heard personal reports!
BillA

Post by BillA »

optymyze wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:50 pm Ok, I have a couple of things in the pipeline I'm going to try. I want to try PagePlus and I saw you can dethrottle video and activate it anonymously etc. How can I get in touch with you about that?

Also, I have a couple of questions. I also saw how you posted how the modem itself can be an incredibly important choice in getting faster speeds. You stated that you got 50mbps down with a cat6 modem, but 300+mbps down with a cat18 modem. Here, I'm just curious if you can explain why. Shouldn't the cat6 modem be handle to up to like 150mbps down? Does it have something to do with processing speed maybe? I guess I'm just curious because I just purchased a cat6 modem, but if I'd still be better off with a cat12 or cat18 I'd obviously rather have that... More info here would be appreciated.

Next question. So, I plan on receiving the cell signal into a modem via external antennas, then using a "cellular router" solely to configure modem settings (ttl values, band lock, IMEI, etc) because then the internet will be ran through a fiber line (there's quite some distance and wireless PTP wont work here) into my house to my real router. I guess my question here is, do I actually need a "cellular router" or just a modem case like this one to house the modem? : https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/

Could I just convert the signal from the USB WAN coming out of the modem to fiber and get that to my house and main router? Is there any way to control TTL values, band lock, etc without a "cellular router" just directly to the modem? As you can see, there are some things here I'm still unsure about even though I have it mostly figured out.

Also, just curious Bill, have you found that 4x4 MIMO is helpful in your particular situation or heard in general where it is? I've heard repeatedly 2x2 definitely helps, and in theory 4x4 should but I just haven't heard personal reports!

Both a modem's CAT# and antenna/signal are important, but a higher CAT# modem can definitely do some magic even with weaker signals using CA (Carrier Aggregation). So my advice is get the highest CAT# modem you can afford, and a pair of high gain external directional antennas, which will go a long way. Course don't got some obscure brand CAT-99 modem (pun intended) with no driver support by popular routers. Stick with true and tried Sierra, Quectel, or Telit brands.

Using an all-in-one router which can house the modem too is simply more convenient (less cables, power supplies and things to break), plus OpenWRT which gives you a lot more options/tweaks including the all important TTL settings to make most carrier work. Two popular models are the WE826 an the WG3526. While you could house a modem in an external USB enclosure, you would still need to connect it an OpenWRT flashable router (Asus, GLI, or Netgear) in order to convert it to a usable ethernet signal, which could be further transmitted via ethernet/fiber or long range WiFi.
Speaking of long range transmissions, you may want to check out LinusTech's 12Km 150Mbps WiFi (the closer the higher the speed) setup using Ubiquiti Networks gear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYJFwXw1ZIc
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Ubiquiti+wifi
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=Ubiquiti+wifi

My last advice is, forget obsessing over those online tower maps, while they can give you a general idea about tower locations, nothing beats actually trying it in the real word. Also, try not to over-think/over-complicate things, KISS ("Keep It Simple Stupid") usually works the best. imho ;)

Once you have purchased a PagePlus (red packet) or SimpleMobile (green packet) activation sim kit from BestBuy, Target, Walmart or online on Amazon or Ebay, I can help you activate it remotely, disable video throttling, make a test call and test the data in a router before switching the service over to your sim card, and also help you out with any setup issues. All you have to do is simply insert the sim into your router, and it should be good to go. If interested, just send me a private message.
optymyze

Post by optymyze »

BillA wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:08 am Both a modem's CAT# and antenna/signal are imports, but a higher CAT# modem can definitely do some magic even with weaker signals using CA (Carrier Aggregation). So my advice is get the highest CAT# modem you can afford, and a pair of high gain external directional antennas, which will go a long way. Course don't got some obscure brand CAT-99 modem (pun intended) with no driver support by popular routers. Stick with true and tried Sierra, Quectel, or Telit brands.

Using an all-in-one router which can house the modem too is simply more convenient (less cables, power supplies and things to break), plus OpenWRT which gives you a lot more options/tweaks including the all important TTL settings to make most carrier work. Two popular models are the WE826 an the WG3526. While you could house a modem in an external USB enclosure, you would still need to connect it an OpenWRT flashable router (Asus, GLI, or Netgear) in order to convert it to a usable ethernet signal, which could be further transmitted via ethernet/fiber or long range WiFi.
Speaking of long range transmissions, you may want to check out LinusTech's 12Km 150Mbps WiFi (the closer the higher the speed) setup using Ubiquiti Networks gear:

My last advice is, forget obsessing over those online tower maps, while they can give you a general idea about tower locations, nothing beats actually trying it in the real word. Also, try not to over-think/over-complicate things, KISS ("Keep It Simple Stupid") usually works the best. imho ;)

Once you have purchased a PagePlus (red packet) or SimpleMobile (green packet) activation sim kit from BestBuy, Target, Walmart or online on Amazon or Ebay, I can help you activate it remotely, disable video throttling, make a test call and test the data in a router before switching the service over to your sim card, and also help you out with any setup issues. All you have to do is simply insert the sim into your router, and it should be good to go. If interested, just send me a private message.
Ok thanks for all that. It appears for the money maybe the nighthawk would be my best setup (4x MIMO and CAT16) and since I have direct LOS maybe it be best. But again, if I only have access to Band13, would 4x MIMO or CA even be useful?
Do you know if the Nighthawk works on PagePlus/Verizon/Band13?
BillA

Post by BillA »

optymyze wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:16 am Ok thanks for all that. It appears for the money maybe the nighthawk would be my best setup (4x MIMO and CAT16) and since I have direct LOS maybe it be best. But again, if I only have access to Band13, would 4x MIMO or CA even be useful?
Do you know if the Nighthawk works on PagePlus/Verizon/Band13?

It's hard to tell what works well without trying it. The issue with the Nighthawk, while it's a nice device, it has locked firmware, therefore if the carrier which works best in you area happens to require TTL settings, then it simply won't work. My suggestion is to go with an OpenWRT router, which has more flexibility in terms up modem upgradability and TTL settings. I gave you all the information in my prior post, hope you make an educated decision. And again, try not to over-complicate things. ;)
Chungus23

Post by Chungus23 »

Nighthawk m1 doesnt seem to support band 13 and also doesn't have TTL.

However, recently I've seen 3 resellers pop up selling unlimited verizon using the nighthawk M1 router. Which is strange because it doesn't allow for TTL so I would assume they get throttled after about 15 gb to 600 kbps in speeds. Unless they got a chinese manufacturer to do something to it. Or maybe they are using an old verizon unlimited hotspot plan? The timing seems odd.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Chungus23 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:01 pm Nighthawk m1 doesnt seem to support band 13 and also doesn't have TTL.

However, recently I've seen 3 resellers pop up selling unlimited verizon using the nighthawk M1 router. Which is strange because it doesn't allow for TTL so I would assume they get throttled after about 15 gb to 600 kbps in speeds. Unless they got a chinese manufacturer to do something to it. Or maybe they are using an old verizon unlimited hotspot plan? The timing seems odd.

That's correct, the M1 doesn't support band 13 nor TTL (maybe through some hacks).
They have a new 5G router coming out the M5/MR5200 which supports all bands, but probably no TTL.
https://www.netgear.com/home/products/m ... r5200.aspx
justchillin

Post by justchillin »

BillA wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:08 am Both a modem's CAT# and antenna/signal are imports, but a higher CAT# modem can definitely do some magic even with weaker signals using CA (Carrier Aggregation). So my advice is get the highest CAT# modem you can afford, and a pair of high gain external directional antennas, which will go a long way. Course don't got some obscure brand CAT-99 modem (pun intended) with no driver support by popular routers. Stick with true and tried Sierra, Quectel, or Telit brands.

Bill,
Sorry to steal the thread but I am a newb and I'm also interested in using Verizon. I get the best speeds at my home with them (KISS). I currently have DSL with 10Mbps but my phone gets 30+Mbps. Hence the reason I want to make the jump. Can you give me a newb list of items required and a "how to list" to make this happen? I've read numerous threads here and other places but I want to make sure I buy and do it correctly.

Thanks
hw1353

Post by hw1353 »

justchillin wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:03 pm Bill,
Sorry to steal the thread but I am a newb and I'm also interested in using Verizon. I get the best speeds at my home with them (KISS). I currently have DSL with 10Mbps but my phone gets 30+Mbps. Hence the reason I want to make the jump. Can you give me a newb list of items required and a "how to list" to make this happen? I've read numerous threads here and other places but I want to make sure I buy and do it correctly.

Thanks
justchillin,

I setup a modem/router combo (we826/MC7455) from thewirelesshaven.com; Lots of good parts and information on that site about building and setting one up. Alternatively, you can buy a MofI 4500 (more or less a WE826 w/ a Mc7455 Wireless card) for $300+. You can build your own from parts from thewirelesshaven.com

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=233

That thread should get you started.

As far as verizon service, they do not seem to sell an unlimited data plan. There were 3rd party resellers that would lease you an unlimited line for 150$+ a month, I've tried 2 now, and both have been shutdown about 30 days into having their service. I've spent the last 3 days researching and trying to find a suitable option, but with verizon your options are extremely limited. Its extremely hit or miss whether a verizon voice sim card will work in the OpenWRT/MoFI routers, and even then, they could still potentially audit your account if you use a bunch of data. I'm unsure of the ramifications of getting that device blacklisted on the verizon network for using to much data, or if that even happens, but its a possibility. But you could potentially have a device thats unusable on verizon. I also was unable to activate any verizon SIM in a Mofi/We826/MC7455, I had to drive 45 minutes to bestbuy and get a Jetpack 4400L to activate the cards on.

There is also service called PagePlusCellular, that is a verizon service reseller. They have an unlimited LTE plan for 55$. Several members on this forum have used their SIM cards, and it is possible to get them to work in a LTE Modem/Router, but they have a disclaimer on their site about going over 60 GB, they can shut off your service. Some users get cut off right at 60GB, and I've also read some users have used over 200GB and still going. Since I've now been burned by 2 different verizon providers, I'm going to try T-mobile, as I can get an unlimited account in my name, and T-mobile doesn't seem to care about using a bunch of data, as verizon/pageplus does.

If you can do t-mobile, check out their magenta plan, with some custom TTL values, you can use that SIM, or if you want to pay for the data you can get the magenta+ or Global plus plans for LTE hotspot data.

Hope this helps, I was in the same boat in january, had my eyes opened to LTE internet, beeing using a 3mbps/.5mbps DSL connection for 3 years. Made working from home next to impossible if my wife used her phone on the wifi. So LTE is a much better fit for my area, I have a t-mobile sim card ordered, trying them out later this week.
BillA

Post by BillA »

justchillin wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:03 pm Bill,

Thanks

You can check out this post (https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790), it has both service and hardware related info to get you going.
justchillin

Post by justchillin »

BillA wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:33 am You can check out this post (https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790), it has both service and hardware related info to get you going.
I've already read that post. The service part looks pretty straight forward. The equipment part sometimes looks overwhelming since I'm just learning about this LTE option. I'm leaning towards a all-in-one device for router/modem. What's your recommendation for that? Thanks for all the work you've put into those posts.
justchillin

Post by justchillin »

hw1353 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:39 am justchillin,

I setup a modem/router combo (we826/MC7455) from thewirelesshaven.com; Lots of good parts and information on that site about building and setting one up. Alternatively, you can buy a MofI 4500 (more or less a WE826 w/ a Mc7455 Wireless card) for $300+. You can build your own from parts from thewirelesshaven.com

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=233
Thanks! I haven't seen that post before. What are the pros and cons for building your own setup like you did or just buying one??
hw1353 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:39 amAs far as verizon service, they do not seem to sell an unlimited data plan.
Yep. Kinda figured that from my research. Just didn't know for sure.
hw1353 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:39 amIf you can do t-mobile, check out their magenta plan, with some custom TTL values, you can use that SIM, or if you want to pay for the data you can get the magenta+ or Global plus plans for LTE hotspot data.
After looking into the cell tower coverage I should be able to do t-mobile. They've got a tower about 1.5 miles out my back yard. Funny though when a friend came over with a t-mobile phone the coverage was terrible but I'd think it's worth a shot with an antenna.
Can you point me to a place on how to get a t-mobile setup and the TTL values you mentioned?
hw1353 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:39 amHope this helps, I was in the same boat in january, had my eyes opened to LTE internet, beeing using a 3mbps/.5mbps DSL connection for 3 years. Made working from home next to impossible if my wife used her phone on the wifi. So LTE is a much better fit for my area, I have a t-mobile sim card ordered, trying them out later this week.
Yep.... Thanks again!
BillA

Post by BillA »

justchillin wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:06 am I've already read that post. The service part looks pretty straight forward. The equipment part sometimes looks overwhelming since I'm just learning about this LTE option. I'm leaning towards a all-in-one device for router/modem. What's your recommendation for that? Thanks for all the work you've put into those posts.

Well, the all-in-ones tend to be a bit easier to build and maintain since you've got everything neatly in one box. Another option is to pick up an Asus or Netgear router which has custom GodenOrb/WiFix firmware available (it's a must have for TTL settings on most carriers), so check your model number here before buying one here: https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/firmware16.html.
Then pick up an external usb modem enclosure from thewirelesshaven.com along with a modem, connect the enclosure's usb port into the router's usb port, set up the software, and you should be good to go.
justchillin

Post by justchillin »

BillA wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:21 pm Well, the all-in-ones tend to be a bit easier to build and maintain since you've got everything neatly in one box. Another option is to pick up an Asus or Netgear router which has custom GodenOrb/WiFix firmware available (it's a must have for TTL settings on most carriers), so check your model number here before buying one https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/firmware16.html. Then pick up an external usb modem enclosure from thewirelesshaven.com along with a modem, connect the enclosure's usb port into the router's usb port, set up the software, and you should be good to go.
I like easy lol. I've only really seen the Mofi all-in-one. What's ya'lls recommendation on all-in-ones?
justchillin

Post by justchillin »

hw1353 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:39 am justchillin,
If you can do t-mobile, check out their magenta plan, with some custom TTL values, you can use that SIM, or if you want to pay for the data you can get the magenta+ or Global plus plans for LTE hotspot data.
After looking into the cell tower coverage I should be able to do t-mobile. They've got a tower about 1.5 miles out my back yard. Funny though when a friend came over with a t-mobile phone the coverage was terrible but I'd think it's worth a shot with an antenna.
Can you point me to a place on how to get a t-mobile setup and the TTL values you mentioned?

Thanks
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

justchillin wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:24 pm After looking into the cell tower coverage I should be able to do t-mobile. They've got a tower about 1.5 miles out my back yard. Funny though when a friend came over with a t-mobile phone the coverage was terrible but I'd think it's worth a shot with an antenna.

Thanks
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32 ... =140#p7409
hw1353

Post by hw1353 »

justchillin wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:24 pm After looking into the cell tower coverage I should be able to do t-mobile. They've got a tower about 1.5 miles out my back yard. Funny though when a friend came over with a t-mobile phone the coverage was terrible but I'd think it's worth a shot with an antenna.

Thanks
I'm currently able to get 20-30 mbps d/4 up on t-mobile from about 7.6 miles away. With some 9dbi wilson directionals. Kinda hit or miss, I'm hoping my panel antennas arrive soon, they seeem to work better in wooded areas/less than ideal line of sight.

Service isn't bad. Was much nicer when I had a verizon tower 3 miles away.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

hw1353 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:18 pm I'm currently able to get 20-30 mbps d/4 up on t-mobile from about 7.6 miles away. With some 9dbi wilson directionals. Kinda hit or miss, I'm hoping my panel antennas arrive soon, they seeem to work better in wooded areas/less than ideal line of sight.

Service isn't bad. Was much nicer when I had a verizon tower 3 miles away.
I have T-mobile service in rural area with trees and such just under 5 miles away. Started off with mimo proxicast antenna wasn't bad really. Then got the log periodic antennas and that was an improvement. Then third antennas was the panel type and they where definite improvement again.
hw1353

Post by hw1353 »

I have some 15 dbi panels, and I have to say, it wasn't the upgrade I thought it would be. I'm going to keep trying them, but I was hoping they would work better in a more wooded area like my brother's house. I tried Horiz/Vert and 'X' polarized in cross pattern. We put a set up for him, and honestly saw 0 improvement. He's about .8 miles closer than the tower from me, but more trees in the immediate vicinity.

I'm still seeing more consistent signal and speed with my wilson directionals. I had them mounted on top of my 20' pole "wire-ant" style with them making a horizontal "v", consistently saw 25 mbps down/4up with those. Panel antennas, pointed exact same heading, its a little better SINR, but the RSRP is higher. I haven't spent much time with them, been busy and weather has been bad. I'll put my panels back up and keep testing.

I've ran more fresnel simulations, and it seems that my LOS was not as good to the south as I thought it was for myself, or my brother. Seems there's a tower roughly the same distance to the east with a better elevation profile. Its late now, but tomorrow I'm going to try my panels that direction and see if that has any positive impact.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Yes you should try the other tower for sure some odd things happen with that can't explain. Sisters house was pointing at a tower that had verizon, AT&T and T-mobile on it. Was using the at&t plan pointing at it. When they lost their at&t plan went to T-Mobile.
For what ever reason the signal was terrible now pointing at that tower. So pointed to another tower that actually was slightly farther away and bam huge increase.
The one thing have noticed with trees it doesn't seem to matter the amount of trees between you and the tower that messes it up. Seems how close the trees are to your antenna. More clear space between antenna and when the trees start is better. So if that is the case with this other tower it might help.
hw1353

Post by hw1353 »

I get decent speeds pointed to the east, but I have horrible upload.

UL .2-.4, DL 17-20 , Honestly bounces up and down. Not consistent. Guess the wilson directionals are better for me, I'm not sure what to think. Tried single/multiple bands.

Whats odd is I'm trying to hit a tower thats closer, but the tower 2 miles further north east is the one my modem keeps connecting too. I guess the panels on the tower are pointed more my direction. I even have my panels about 15deg off from that tower, and it still picks it up when pointed directly at the other one.

Kinda getting to the point where I'm thinking t-mobile just isnt going to work. The 6-7 mile tower distance makes things so inconsistent. I've invested a couple 100$ in antennas and configurations, nothing helps. Guess my location and elevation makes it impossible.

I can get another verizon plan through a reseller, but its expensive and you don't know how long those are going to last.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

BillA wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:50 am I run on Tmobile based SimpleMobile, and I've been using around 300gigs per month for the past 5 years without any issues. They are pretty lax when it comes to data usage, on the other hand they will disconnect your service completely if you go over 24gigs in a single day (that's a gig per hour) in order to protect the network, which is understandable and fair. Honestly, all carriers have some kind of soft data limits, therefore I wouldn't advise using more than several hundred gigs per month on any of them.
Bill, I have been spreading 20GB over my ATT iPad plan and 120GB over my Teltik plan.

With Teltik now unstable, I will be ordering those $60/90 days SimpleMobile plans on eBay. Just wanted to ensure you don't see any issues with that or are the eBay deals not a good idea and you pay SimpleMobile the $50/mo directly?
BillA

Post by BillA »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:52 pm Bill, I have been spreading 20GB over my ATT iPad plan and 120GB over my Teltik plan.

With Teltik now unstable, I will be ordering those $60/90 days SimpleMobile plans on eBay. Just wanted to ensure you don't see any issues with that or are the eBay deals not a good idea and you pay SimpleMobile the $50/mo directly?

Those "cheap" Ebay sellers scam the system by cramming multiple lines onto a single account, and when you try to register online chances are you'll be logging into someone else's account, and/or have to keep replacing the sim card every month. If one of the users on the account does something illegal online and gets investigated, you can be on the hook too. I don't do shady activations like that, you get one line on your own account.... it's your call.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”