TTL control on M.2 Modems in USB enclosures

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
tambutso

TTL control on M.2 Modems in USB enclosures

Post by tambutso »

Hello all. I have a question regarding the use of an M.2 LTE module inside a USB enclosure, connected to a router running OpenWRT or one of its derivative. If I use a USB modem option on ROOter, will I still be able to modify the TTL value to something like 65 to "enhance" my LTE speed? I know this is possible for direct mini PCI-e modems, but I am not clear if this is possible if using an M.2 format connected via USB. Can somebody please comment? Thank you.
BillA

Re: TTL control on M.2 Modems in USB enclosures

Post by BillA »

tambutso wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:39 pm Hello all. I have a question regarding the use of an M.2 LTE module inside a USB enclosure, connected to a router running OpenWRT or one of its derivative. If I use a USB modem option on ROOter, will I still be able to modify the TTL value to something like 65 to "enhance" my LTE speed? I know this is possible for direct mini PCI-e modems, but I am not clear if this is possible if using an M.2 format connected via USB. Can somebody please comment? Thank you.

If you're connecting the M.2 modem in an enclosure to a router running GoldenOrb or WiFix firmware, then you should be able to set the TTL value just fine. However if you're connecting the M.2 modem in an enclosure directly to a pc via usb, then you can still set the TTL on the pc itself, but won't be able to set the TTL on other devices via a WiFi hotspot app running on your pc. The modem's form factor, whether it's a miniPCIe or M.2 shouldn't matter as long as you use the correct enclosure/adapter.
tambutso

Post by tambutso »

Thanks for the reply Bill. I was a little concerned about this because I tried using a tethered phone as a USB modem (router was running GoldenOrb) and I tried changing the TTL value, but my speed remained 3G (this is the default unlimited speed for my SIM plan while tethered/hotspot). I also noticed that my Ping TTL using the router diagnostic function remained unchanged. So I guess then it's a different situation with tethered phones vs USB LTE modules?
BillA

Post by BillA »

tambutso wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:08 pm Thanks for the reply Bill. I was a little concerned about this because I tried using a tethered phone as a USB modem (router was running GoldenOrb) and I tried changing the TTL value, but my speed remained 3G (this is the default unlimited speed for my SIM plan while tethered/hotspot). I also noticed that my Ping TTL using the router diagnostic function remained unchanged. So I guess then it's a different situation with tethered phones vs USB LTE modules?

It's possible, especially with bargain priced carriers/resellers (ex. Visible, GoSmart, H2O). Those services usually put on a bunch of limits and restrictions so they don't end up paying the big carrier a huge bill due to a few heavy data users. ;)
Some of those restrictions can be bypassed using an OpenWRT router, but not all limits can be eliminated completely.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”