WE826-GO WiFi Much Slower than LAN

Topics related to ZBT Routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
rich.etheridge
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WE826-GO WiFi Much Slower than LAN

Post by rich.etheridge »

I just got a new WE826-GO. WiFiX/GoldenOrb firmware came preinstalled on the router. I also got a M7455. I'm using it with AT&T.

Other than changing the SSID, password and selecting an unused Wifi channel it's running pretty much out of the box. Problem is my wireless clients only get about 50% of the speed (up or down) of the ethernet clients. Is that normal for these routers? Are there any settings I should change to improve the speed?

All testing was done using the same computers on both ethernet and wifi and within a foot or two of the router. I'm using the 2.5 amp power supply as well.
rich.etheridge

Re: WE826-GO WiFi Much Slower than LAN

Post by rich.etheridge »

Update: Plugged an old Netgear router in the one of the ethernet ports on the WE826 and connected to it via Wifi. Speeds were about the same as the ethernet clients. I'll just leave it at that for now.

I did try changing the transmit signal power to 15 dBm as was mentioned in another post but didn't notice any change.
BillA

Re: WE826-GO WiFi Much Slower than LAN

Post by BillA »

rich.etheridge wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:16 pm I just got a new WE826-GO. WiFiX/GoldenOrb firmware came preinstalled on the router. I also got a M7455. I'm using it with AT&T.

Other than changing the SSID, password and selecting an unused Wifi channel it's running pretty much out of the box. Problem is my wireless clients only get about 50% of the speed (up or down) of the ethernet clients. Is that normal for these routers? Are there any settings I should change to improve the speed?

All testing was done using the same computers on both ethernet and wifi and within a foot or two of the router. I'm using the 2.5 amp power supply as well.

It's not unusual for WiFi clients to be slower than wired LAN connections, especially if you have a mixture of different speed WiFi clients connected at the same time.
The WE826 is only a 2.4Ghz 802.11b/g/n WiFi, so even under optimum conditions you would only get around 100Mbps over WiFi. Keep in mind that if your WiFi client card is a lower capable device, or with a crappy chipset, you'll get around 50-75Mbps.
You could use a dedicated dual band 802.11ac high speed Access Point plugged into one of the LAN ports of the WE826 to upgrade your WiFi speed, but then might as well go with a better WG3526 router. ;)
rich.etheridge

Post by rich.etheridge »

I should have mentioned that we're only talking 12Mbs tops on the hard wired clients. I'm pretty far away from the cell site. The WiFi clients were only getting 5 to 6 Mbs. Now, with the Netgear router added for Wifi access I'm getting about the same speed ~11-12Mbs.

Return to “ZBT Routers”