Antenna Distance Abilities

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
gscheb

Antenna Distance Abilities

Post by gscheb »

Hello all,
I have set up 4 LTE setups now. All times have used either log periodic directional antenna or proxicast mimo panel antenna.
Every time it has been just under 5 miles or just over 5 miles. Know someone else that would be 5.85 miles away. Not sure if this would be getting to far away at this point? Anyone have experience going this distance?
swwifty

Re: Antenna Distance Abilities

Post by swwifty »

gscheb wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:04 am Hello all,
I have set up 4 LTE setups now. All times have used either log periodic directional antenna or proxicast mimo panel antenna.
Every time it has been just under 5 miles or just over 5 miles. Know someone else that would be 5.85 miles away. Not sure if this would be getting to far away at this point? Anyone have experience going this distance?
I'm sure people have used them that distance or further. There's a lot of other factors that change from location to location, then just antenna.

I'd say give it a shot, and report the results back here.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:04 am Hello all,

The problem with signals at longer distances, it can vary with the air's ionization, humidity, clouds, rain, snow, blooming trees, etc. So just because you may get a great signal on a nice clear summer day, you could also get really crappy signal on a humid rainy/snowy day. Generally, a high quality equipment including directional antenna can usually help. As they say, your mileage may vary. ;)
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

BillA wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:55 pm The problem with signals at longer distances, it can vary with the air's ionization, humidity, clouds, rain, snow, blooming trees, etc. So just because you may get a great signal on a nice clear summer day, you could also get really crappy signal on a humid rainy/snowy day. Generally, a high quality equipment including directional antenna can usually help. As they say, your mileage may vary. ;)
The biggest thing with cellular carrier frequencies is gonna be leaves on trees. One can easily count on losing at LEAST 10dbm in the summer due to leaves, compared to winter.

If your signal is marginal at best in winter, it'll likely be totally useless in summer, unless you have literally no obstructions between you and the tower.
BillA

Post by BillA »

swwifty wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:49 pm The biggest thing with cellular carrier frequencies is gonna be leaves on trees. One can easily count on losing at LEAST 10dbm in the summer due to leaves, compared to winter.

If your signal is marginal at best in winter, it'll likely be totally useless in summer, unless you have literally no obstructions between you and the tower.

I've read about this signal blocking phenomenon a while ago, and it turns out that in places where the soil is rich in metallic minerals it can leach into plants and trees, causing a stronger signal blocking effect than in non-mineral rich places. It actually makes sense, since I experience this myself twice a year, once in the spring then in the fall. Mobile carriers have to "re-tune" their network to compensate for these yearly changes.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

BillA wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:18 am I've read about this signal blocking phenomenon a while ago, and it turns out that in places where the soil is rich in metallic minerals it can leach into plants and trees, causing a stronger signal blocking effect than in non-mineral rich places. It actually makes logical sense, as I have experienced this myself twice a year, once in the spring then in the fall. Mobile carriers actually have to "re-tune" their network to compensate for these yearly changes.
yeah ground conductivity makes a big difference as well.

Return to “Cellular Antennas”