Signal improvement.

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
AshleyAppleton
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Signal improvement.

Post by AshleyAppleton »

I recently bought some out side antennas from the LTe store. I got them installed yesterday. They are the they are the 700-2700 mhz 15 dbi I live in bad signal area in a dip with mountain and lots of trees. Closest tower is 11 mile drive. So probably 6-8 miles as a crow flys . Would hooking up boosters to these antennas help. I have a MOFI4500.
swwifty

Re: Signal improvement.

Post by swwifty »

AshleyAppleton wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:53 am I recently bought some out side antennas from the LTe store. I got them installed yesterday. They are the they are the 700-2700 mhz 15 dbi I live in bad signal area in a dip with mountain and lots of trees. Closest tower is 11 mile drive. So probably 6-8 miles as a crow flys . Would hooking up boosters to these antennas help. I have a MOFI4500.
Can you post more details like what is your current signal stats, and download/upload performance?

Probably the best thing you could do it raise them as high as possible.
AshleyAppleton

Post by AshleyAppleton »

Signal strength -45 dbm
Signal quality -11.7
Signal diversity -45 dbm
This is with 2 Wilson boosters. Is this good?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello all.
Got a question about this stuff. Know to aim antennas in line of sight to the tower. Know that ellevation usually helps. But does ever tilting the antenna certain angle up or maybe down can effect signal gain? Or should you always mount them level and square to the world.
AshleyAppleton

Post by AshleyAppleton »

Im not really sure. Im new to this too . Im working trying to improve my speeds too. My are pointing straight out.
BillA

Post by BillA »

AshleyAppleton wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:12 pm Signal strength -45 dbm
Signal quality -11.7
Signal diversity -45 dbm
This is with 2 Wilson boosters. Is this good?

Your signal strength is good, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you're amplifying the carrier signal. In case of really weak incoming signals, a booster will just amplify the noise. So while your dbm levels look good, the actual signal "quality" may not be. In my experience, raising the antenna as high as possible (without actually becoming a lightning rod;), is one of the best things you can do without a booster. Another option you may want to look into, is switching to another carrier in your area with a somewhat better signal.

Return to “Questions and Support”