USB to RJ45 WAN connection

HOTSPOT Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
reggart
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

USB to RJ45 WAN connection

Post by reggart »

I'd like to get the USB3.0 To NGFF M.2 Key B Adapter Enclosure With SIM Card Slot and pair it with a Sierra EM 7565 but I don't want to give up my USB 3.0 port on my ASUS router plus I don't know if my router's USB 3.0 is compatible for this device. It would be much simpler if I could just hook up to my WAN RJ45 port. anyone know if there is an adapter that would allow this and still maintain gigabyte speeds?
BillA

Re: USB to RJ45 WAN connection

Post by BillA »

reggart wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:47 pm I'd like to get the USB3.0 To NGFF M.2 Key B Adapter Enclosure With SIM Card Slot and pair it with a Sierra EM 7565 but I don't want to give up my USB 3.0 port on my ASUS router plus I don't know if my router's USB 3.0 is compatible for this device. It would be much simpler if I could just hook up to my WAN RJ45 port. anyone know if there is an adapter that would allow this and still maintain gigabyte speeds?
A couple of different solutions...

1. You could connect a small 4 port usb 3.0 hub (preferably with external power) to your Asus router's usb port, so you can plug in the usb enclosure modem and other usb devices at the same time. For additional features and modem controls, reflash the router with OpenWRT or GoldenOrb firmware.

2. You could use a USB to ethernet converter such as the GL-iNet MT300N (https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt300n-v2/) to convert your modem's usb to WAN. The modem plugs into MT300N's usb port, and its LAN port connected to the router's WAN port via an ethernet cable. Course you need to disable WiFi and probably enable IP pass-through on the MT300N box. For additional features and modem controls, reflash the MT300N with OpenWRT or GoldenOrb firmware. With this second solution there's no need to reflash the router with OpenWRT, unless you want to.

If it's not the ATT iPad/tablet plan (otherwise they will shut your down), you could just get a ZBT WE826 or WG3526 to install the modem internally, with no cables and power adapters dangling all over. ;)
reggart
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: USB to RJ45 WAN connection

Post by reggart »

Thanks for the information. The reason why I hesitate with the WE 826 or WG3526 is because I have a perfectly good and expensive (to me) ASUS dual band router that would be no longer needed.

Return to “General and Unclassified”