EM20-G Build

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
saw2645
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

EM20-G Build

Post by saw2645 »

First off, thanks for providing all the information that is here, it’s made me believe I can attempt my own build. I have ordered the EM20 modem and USB3.0 To NGFF M.2 Key B Adapter Enclosure With SIM Card Slot from The Wireless Haven. My plan is to flash a Netgear R7800 with the current rooter version. Is this flash going to be compatible with the EM20 or do I need to wait for this to be updated? Any feedback on whether this will work is appreciated. Are there EM20-G drivers available to run this from a windows 10 PC?

FYI, I also posted this request in the rooter forum.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: EM20-G Build

Post by JimHelms »

If you posted a request in the ROOter forum, Dairyman is generally good at whipping up a new image that contains all of the latest drivers which should include those for the EM20-G.
saw2645

Post by saw2645 »

Thanks for replying. Well, I did not make it all the way there. I was able to flash the Netgear R7800 with the flash you provided, thanks again. I was able to change the connection profile to “broadband” like I have used in the nighthawk m1 and the GL-X750. After reboot I go to Modem , Network Status and it sees the EM20 modem but the status just stays on “connecting” and does not seem to want to connect. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I apologize ahead of time for my lack of knowledge on this. (I also posted in rooter)

Also, when applying the optional power supply, is there a sequence of when to power it on. Such as before or after the router connection has been powered on?
BillA

Post by BillA »

saw2645 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:06 pm Thanks for replying. Well, I did not make it all the way there. I was able to flash the Netgear R7800 with the flash you provided, thanks again. I was able to change the connection profile to “broadband” like I have used in the nighthawk m1 and the GL-X750. After reboot I go to Modem , Network Status and it sees the EM20 modem but the status just stays on “connecting” and does not seem to want to connect. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I apologize ahead of time for my lack of knowledge on this. (I also posted in rooter)

Also, when applying the optional power supply, is there a sequence of when to power it on. Such as before or after the router connection has been powered on?

Generally you would want the modem to be powered up first (allow about a minute before the router), so when the router is booting up, it would see the WAN device ready and available (although normally it should be able to find it regardless of the booting sequence). If it didn't work, you may try it the other way around too, just make sure to allow a minute or two before booting up each device separately.
Before connecting the modem to the router, it would be advisable to first test the external modem connected to the pc by itself, to see if you can at least go online (make sure to unplug the computer's ethernet and turn off WiFi). Always go in small steps, because it's a lot more difficult to troubleshoot a complex system with multiple potential points of fault.
saw2645

Post by saw2645 »

Thanks for the help I will try that. FYI, I was trying to start it with only two antennas connected, I guessed wrong on which two, once I connect the right antenna, it booted fine. Thanks again.
OregonLTE

Post by OregonLTE »

Hey saw2645, how is this build working? I am looking at flashing my netgear r7000 and doing the exact same thing with the EM20. thanks in advance!

steve
saw2645

Post by saw2645 »

I’m using it full time right now. Seems to be working well. I have only seen 3 band CA at a time. I did have to power the optional power port to keep it running smoothly. Also noticed some buffering while on wifi while streaming, but no issue with it hard wired. There may be some WiFi tweaks that would correct that, but I have no experience with that in openwrt, so I have not messed with it.
BillA

Post by BillA »

saw2645 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:06 pm I’m using it full time right now. Seems to be working well. I have only seen 3 band CA at a time. I did have to power the optional power port to keep it running smoothly. Also noticed some buffering while on wifi while streaming, but no issue with it hard wired. There may be some WiFi tweaks that would correct that, but I have no experience with that in openwrt, so I have not messed with it.

3xCA is what I've experienced and seen reported by others so far. Probably carriers limit it to 3x at this time to conserve bandwidth for other users too, till 5G is fully deployed. Technically they could control the number of concurrent CA's based on IMEI too, if they really wanted to. Some newer Pixel users have reported higher speeds than most others.

Return to “Quectel Modems”