EM12-G Quectel & Google FI & M2M NEXG H721

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

EM12-G Quectel & Google FI & M2M NEXG H721

Post by Newbie »

Hey guys, I am new to this forum, was not too sure where to post my questions in routers, modems or antennas...
When travelling, it is difficult to maintain a good data link to mobile 4G LTE, so here is my thought:
A pair of 700-2700MHz 15dBi 4G LTE patch antennas in a polarized pattern to get MIMO signal when available.
Google Fi is my data provider because it supports automatic hopping between 3 carriers (T-Mobile, Sprint and US Cellular).
So I am considering the M2M NEXG H721 with M.2 modem slot as a MIMO router with the Cat 12 EM12-G Quectel modem.
I am also interested in the Quectel modem because it is a closer match to Google FI frequencies compared to Sierra modem series:
https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers ... ted-states

I have a Google Fi enabled phone G7 Motorola and an extra Google FI SIM card for the router.

My questions are:
1) Will the H721 with EM12-G support and maintain the "frequency hopping feature" from Google FI for my phone?
2) Will the H721 router with EM12-G keep functioning with the "frequency hopping" feature from Google FI for tablets and laptops and other non Google FI rated?
3) Is this the best possible set-up, are there alternatives?

Your comments would be appreciated,
Regards,
Dan
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: EM12-G Quectel & Google FI & M2M NEXG H721

Post by JimHelms »

Good question. I am not sure how the frequency hopping works, but I suspect one would need to configure the Connection Manager to reconnect to the network on a failed ping.

Post by Newbie »

Yes, reconnect on failed ping/selecting carrier with strongest signal and with Pixel phone software update last month, the ability to connect with 2 different carriers at once for increased speed.

Post by Newbie »

Will check how H721 router and GoldenOrb handle carrier aggregation on a MVNO. May have to ditch patch antennas in favor of omni's for this test, towers can be anywhere on a mobile set-up.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Newbie wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:39 pm Yes, reconnect on failed ping/selecting carrier with strongest signal and with Pixel phone software update last month, the ability to connect with 2 different carriers at once for increased speed.
The only way I know that a device can connect to two carriers at once, is to have two different modems, each with their own SIM Cards.

Then, while load balancing is possible, as if fail-over, you cannot aggregate (i.e., "bond") the connections without some other device/server doing the bonding.

Return to “Quectel Modems”