MC7455 and Visible by Verizon, Grammie help!

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
beausmith94

MC7455 and Visible by Verizon, Grammie help!

Post by beausmith94 »

Hello, trying to get Gma some decent internet in the boonies w/ Visible by verizon.

Previously, I had an Unlimited LTE sprint card in an MC7455(PCI/USB/Antenna adapter) routed to a TP-link with Rooter installed (ofmodemsandmen). This worked great. I pulled 100+ mbps.

NOW I have Visible unlimited, through verizon. I am trying to use the guide here: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=33

to set my MC7455 up. I have not been successful though!

Background:
SIM is activated, it is my phone sim. Works great on my iphone.
The plan is unlimited, with unlimited hotspot (speeds capped for unlimited, but going to try and work around that)

Just like for sprint, I am testing this on my Windows 10 machine w/ Skylight installed prior to attempting the Rooter Router.

I have installed the latest generic firmware (PTCRB & GCF Approved—Release 26).

I have tried different APN configurations "vsblinternet" "VSBLINTERNET" "vzwinternet"

I have tried IPv6 enabled/disabled per the guide above

I have tried using Verizon's Sierra Driver

and finally, I have toggled IPv6 on an off for the APN's above. (all while OEM resetting the router/refashing generic firmware between variations of AT! commands).

IF ANYONE COULD JUST POST THE SERIES OF AT! COMMANDS I WOULD NEED TO IMPLEMENT A WORKING SESSION THAT WOULD BE GREAT.

Thanks in advance :)
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: MC7455 and Visible by Verizon, Grammie help!

Post by JimHelms »

There have been several on the forum who tried to use Visable to no avail. Do a search for Visible for more information.

Someone suggested the reasoning was:
Looked at Visible few months back and asked around on rv travel forums. Seemed no one could get SIM to work in devices like we826. Maybe it has something to do with "Mobile hotspot speeds capped at 5 Mbps and limited to one tethered device at a time."
beausmith94

Post by beausmith94 »

There are actually a few on Reddit who have had success, and I am trying to coordinate with them. I was hoping there was an adventurous soul on Wireless Joint.

**Edit, I popped the thing into my Franklin R850 (which is supposed to be locked to Sprint....) and pulled about 10mbps. Used APN "VSBLINTERNET" so there must be something I'm doing wrong with the MC7455
beausmith94

Post by beausmith94 »

FIXED! Spent the better part of the day getting this up and running! Pulling 15-30mbps down, and 5-15mpbs up from the bottom floor of my house. All for 25 bucks a month since I'm taking advantage of the Party Pay. Reminder: Visible deprioritizes Visible customers when Verizon customers are active, AND the unthrottled bandwidth is offered for a limited time. I imagine my bandwidth could be greater or less depending on the time I test.

Note: Having both Skylight and Windows 10 managing the LTE connections leads to connection instability. Skylight will continually try to update/fix apn settings. Just uninstall Skylight and connect to MC7455, manually connect with Windows in the connection center. You will still want MC7455 drivers from the sierra wireless website.

This is for an MC7455 in a PCI adapter, with a Visible Verizon SIM, connected via USB to a windows 10 usb. Generic firmware installed on MC7455, most recent drivers installed from Sierra Wireless. I sent the commands using "My Huawei Terminal" but I believe you can send commands through putty as well.

AT! Commands for setup:

at!entercnd="A710" : Establishes admin access to Modem
at!usbcomp=1,1,1009 : sets MC7455 to MBIM mode, required for most interfaces (routers)
at+cgdcont=1,"IP","VSBLINTERNET" : sets APN as visble (seems that capitalization matters)
at+cgdcont=1,"IPV4V6","VSBLINTERNET" : allows for IPV4V6 use... this was a setting that seemed to "enable" my service.

The following commands associate verizon's/visible's bands with a name your MC7455 can use to pick specific bands to connect to. Visible uses verizon's 2, 4, 5, 13, and 66, but MC7455 doesn't support band 66.

at!band=0A,"B2",0,0000000000000002 : band 2 is now associated with 0A
at!band=0B,"B4",0,0000000000000008 : band 4 is now associated with 0B
at!band=0C,"B5",0,0000000000000010 : band 5....
at!band=0D,"B13",0,0000000000001000 : band 13...
at!band=0E,"VZW (All)",0,000000000000101A :notice the 101A, this is a binary representation of all the band values above.

Depending on your area, you can set the bands. If you only have band 2 for example, you can set: at!band=0A,
Just sub 0A, B, C, D, or E.

at!band=0E will enable your MC7455 to connect to any bands/aggregate them for better download speeds. I have this enabled in my area since I have all of the bands. NOTE: if you don't have all of the bands "associated" using the above codes, using the at!band=0E command above will not work because the binary number (101A) will be different.

Hope this helps someone :)
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
My aunt and uncle had fixed fixed wireless service and high winds blew down the tower they got service from. She had just had surgery and is confined to the house with no internet now. The only good cell service they have is verizon and the unlimited plan is gone now. Seen this post where it is possible to get the visible to work so tried it for them. And this absolutely worked for me.
AT! Commands for setup:
at!usbcomp=1,1,1009 : sets MC7455 to MBIM mode, required for most interfaces (routers)
at+cgdcont=1,"IP","VSBLINTERNET" : sets APN as visble (seems that capitalization matters)
at+cgdcont=1,"IPV4V6","VSBLINTERNET" : allows for IPV4V6 use... this was a setting that seemed to "enable" my service.
Followed by the reset command of course.

After got this going realized needed to keep my WE826 for another set up so thought would try to set up a LB1120 and a NightHawk M1 too see it those would work. And it did. Ended up setting them up with the night hawk and just tethered to their existing router so every works as before with out resetting all the passwords on everything.

Going to show some pictures of how to add this to these devices encase anyone interested.

This is how to add it to the Netgear LB1120
LB1120 Manager Visible add APN.PNG
This is how to add it to the NetGear NightHawk M1
NetGear NightHawk M1 Visible add APN.PNG
Was able to run the visible card in all three of these devices like this. It is little slower then regular verizon data and twice the ping but it works so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beausmith94

Post by beausmith94 »

Are you hiding your activity in any way? I feel like they specifically limit tethering to 5mbps, so I’m worried they may term services if they see a bunch of different IP addresses from the same hotspot.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Not hiding activity. Not sure how to even do that. Yes they suppose to limit to 5mps. But for my aunt and uncle that is fine. Don't think their fixed wireless plan was even that fast.
I would like to know how to get past the lower streaming quality of the plan.
Told them to give it one month and see if they get booted off the service.
beausmith94

Post by beausmith94 »

gscheb wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:13 am Not hiding activity. Not sure how to even do that. Yes they suppose to limit to 5mps. But for my aunt and uncle that is fine. Don't think their fixed wireless plan was even that fast.
I would like to know how to get past the lower streaming quality of the plan.
Told them to give it one month and see if they get booted off the service.

Any update? Also, a VPN would bypass video limitations. VPN's also take up more data..because the encryption increases the data size. If they are looking for 1080 or 4K though, they could give that a whirl.
BillA

Post by BillA »

beausmith94 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:34 pm
In my experience, sending both IP and IPV4V6 is redundant and unnecessary. If you're sending two IP/APN commands to the same slot (1), then the last command takes precedence anyway. So you can safely omit the first at+cgdcont=1,"IP","VSBLINTERNET" and just send at+cgdcont=1,"IPV4V6","VSBLINTERNET" if you want both IP v4 and v6.
So, it looks like Visible's app running on a smart phone is only used for voice calls via VoIP, thus the countless complaints about voice quality in the PlayStore.

beausmith94 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:20 pm Are you hiding your activity in any way? I feel like they specifically limit tethering to 5mbps, so I’m worried they may term services if they see a bunch of different IP addresses from the same hotspot.
Much like other carriers in the US, Verizon uses the TTL method for detecting tethered traffic, so the easiest way is to change it in the router running either GoldenOrb or WiFix firmware. Unfortunately I haven't seen a way to change TTL in a NightHawk M1 router yet.
If using an external modem in a USB adapter Mini-PCIe/M.2 antenna housing tethered to a Windows PC, you can set the TTL on the PC quite easily via these CMD commands (you may need to play around with the value from 64 to 66 but 65 is what seems to work best):

netsh int ipv4 set global defaultcurhoplimit=65
netsh int ipv6 set global defaultcurhoplimit=65

Once your have the data connection working on the PC properly, you can try using something like Windows10's Mobile Hotspot or Connectify to share the connection sort of like a software router (the TTL settings might still be an issue for sharing... ymmv).

beausmith94 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:21 pm Any update? Also, a VPN would bypass video limitations. VPN's also take up more data..because the encryption increases the data size. If they are looking for 1080 or 4K though, they could give that a whirl.
In my experience, while a VPN provides extra privacy, it also introduces larger data size and pretty significant latency (50 to 200ms in addition to the mobile's latecy) no matter how high quality or closeby the server you're using. I have found that using a simple private proxy (I'm using BestProxyAndVPN for only 5 bucks a month, but any other high quality proxy will do, just don't use lame public proxies!), which allows me to watch YouTube at full speed/resolution with almost no additional latency. If you don't want to enable the proxy for all webstites, you can use a free proxy manager in Chrome such as SwitchyOmega from the Chrome Store, and create a rule for "*.googlevideo.com" (without the quotes, and surprisingly it's not "YouTube.com" that needs to be proxied;-)
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Pulling 15-30mbps down, and 5-15mpbs up from the bottom floor of my house.
Hello was wondering what TTL was used to get these speeds?
Currently the only person I know using it doesn't have TTL custom settings and getting the throttled 5 download speed.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:26 am Hello was wondering what TTL was used to get these speeds?
Currently the only person I know using it doesn't have TTL custom settings and getting the throttled 5 download speed.

Maybe the user Gscheb can give you some tips, but if you're already getting 5Mbps down, then the TTL settings will most likely not have any affect on your speed. The only time TTL may help, if you're not getting any internet or extremely slow speeds around 128Kbps. Having said that, you can try these values 64, 65, 66, or 117 for the hell of it. In your case, the issue is most likely the lack of signal, so either try moving the router box around your home to find a better spot, or consider adding some high gain external antennas.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello this is gscheb asking about the TTL settings. Currently have Visible in a night hawk m1 connected to a router. The visible plan hard throttles hotspot data to 5 down. It is just part of the deal. You can actually see it go up father when it gets to about 10 down it will catch itself and go down to 5 every time. So was wondering what TTL Someone else had luck with. Was going to try it in different device that could adjust the TTL.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:39 pm Hello this is gscheb asking about the TTL settings. Currently have Visible in a night hawk m1 connected to a router. The visible plan hard throttles hotspot data to 5 down. It is just part of the deal. You can actually see it go up father when it gets to about 10 down it will catch itself and go down to 5 every time. So was wondering what TTL Someone else had luck with. Was going to try it in different device that could adjust the TTL.

LOL.. that's what happens when you stay up many late nights, I must have been in a state of confusion when I was referring to you instead of "beausmith94", and to post > https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=4050#p4050
There's only so much you can do via TTL settings, which generally just makes your service work or not work at all, it will most likely not boost your speed. Keep in mind that Visible's service bounces through at least two servers, once at Verizon's and then Visible's which most likely throttles everyone's data. And the high latency interferes with gaming and VoIP applications to the point of being unusable.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Well it is right in the Visible plan. UN-throttled phone usage and throttled hotspot data to 5 down.

This is from there website questions and answers section.

Does Visible service include using my phone as a hotspot?
All Visible members get mobile hotspot included with their service with unlimited data at a speed that’s perfect for streaming, up to 5 Mbps. You’ll be able to connect one phone at a time.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Follow up on the Visible it is currently down. They have an billing issue and can't take payments. Been trying to pay them for 4 days. It is insane! Can't get the service going because it won't take payment. No one to talk to just chat people. They have now idea how to fix it. Just tell you the same laymen ideas over and over.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:47 am Follow up on the Visible it is currently down. They have an billing issue and can't take payments. Been trying to pay them for 4 days. It is insane! Can't get the service going because it won't take payment. No one to talk to just chat people. They have now idea how to fix it. Just tell you the same laymen ideas over and over.

Don't you just love it when they tell you "Restart your phone!" ba-ha-ha
Well, that sucks, when I initially researched Visible, I got an uneasy feeling about them. Some things just weren't looking right, starting with their piggybacked servers on top of Verizon inducing high latency, to their funky billing with noone to talk to. The only thing going for them was the low price. It's possible that due a high volume of chargebacks, they've lost their credit card processor, or maybe it's just down... who knows.
You could switch over to other unlimited plans like the ATT tablet $35, or SimpleMoble $45, or Verizon prepaid $50. Those are the only reasonably priced alternatives that I know of, unless someone else has any better suggestions.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

This is for my uncle and he has very good Verizon coverage at his house. Literally can just put a hot spot on the kitchen counter and ready to go. And they don't use much data at all. Visible said they used 14 Gigs of data last month. My issue is really don't know what else to set them up with that uses Verizon Towers. Can you please help? This Verizon Prepaid will work with the right TTL? So far none of my set ups needed special TTL they all had hot spot included. Was also wondering if someone could use like page plus or straight talk for this.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:18 am This is for my uncle and he has very good Verizon coverage at his house. Literally can just put a hot spot on the kitchen counter and ready to go. And they don't use much data at all. Visible said they used 14 Gigs of data last month. My issue is really don't know what else to set them up with that uses Verizon Towers. Can you please help? This Verizon Prepaid will work with the right TTL? So far none of my set ups needed special TTL they all had hot spot included. Was also wondering if someone could use like page plus or straight talk for this.

For best coverage (but not necessarily speed), try Verizon's own $50 prepaid, which "should" work with the right TTL settings. Course you'll need to use a decent OpenWRT router, probably won't work with proprietary boxes like the Nighthawk M1.

Tracfone's Straight Talk (WalMart brand) service is $45/month, but I've heard they sometimes throttle those with excessive usage (above a couple of hundred gigs). When you get the StraightTalk activation pack, you'll find three different sim cards inside for ATT, TMO, and VZW, so you can choose the one that's right for your phone. Also, you can buy refill cards at any Walmart.

Tracfone also has many other brands besides StraightTalk, like PagePlus, TotalWireless, SimpleMobile, GoSmart, Net10, etc, and while their service "works" (well, most of the time), their customer service sucks big time, basically you'll be talking to India, or the Philippines. lol

For best coverage (but not necessarily speed), I would recommend the PagePlus $55 plan, using Verizon towers.
If you have fairly good Tmobile coverage in your area, then the SimpleMobile $50 plan will give you the best speeds I've seen on any carrier (average 100Mbps down, and 50Mbps up).

You can buy a sim card and activate it at your local SimpleMobile dealer (https://www.simplemobile.com/findastore).
They just fool you online with that $45 auto-pay price, after adding a bunch of taxes it comes out to over $50.
Since my credit card got stolen twice already on their website, and even got double billed, I'm only paying by cash. Dealers usually charge a flat $50 cash, and you can even prepay multiple months ahead if you wish. Best of all, it keeps your account completely anonymous (dealers don't ask for your info;). There's no contract, so if it doesn't work you can always try something else.

Finally, you have the ATT $35 tablet plan, which during my testing had crappiest speeds (below 30Mbps down) using a CAT-9 modem, the same I used for all my other carrier tests.

By the way, if your uncle doesn't use that much data, then you could get the PagePlus $40 plan with 8GB/month, or SimpleMobile $40 for 12GB/month. After the included gigs are used up, they switch you to low speed 128Kbps (yeah it sucks), but at least still unlimited till your next month cycle restarts.

Hope that helps with your dilemma. ;)
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Very good information on carriers @BillA!

I have the AT&T ipad plan and you are right on. 30 down and about 15 up is best I have seen on adverage.

Looking for better so might just experiment with t-mobile since will work with my em7455. Any suggestions on settings if get a prepaid sim for t-mobile plan?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

I have an Unlimited hot spot plan from T-mobile at my house. Use TTL of 64 just because is helps my ping for my sons steam games. But have noticed that most of the data on my usage shows as not hotspot usage. If that is what you mean?
BillA

Post by BillA »

terryjett wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:59 am Very good information on carriers @BillA!

I have the AT&T ipad plan and you are right on. 30 down and about 15 up is best I have seen on adverage.

Looking for better so might just experiment with t-mobile since will work with my em7455. Any suggestions on settings if get a prepaid sim for t-mobile plan?

For Tmo/Smo the only things that needs to be set respectively:
APN: fast.tmobile.com / simple
TTL: 65 (if it doesn't work, you may try 63/64/66/100)
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Update service back on had to go to bank to get them to allow payment to go thru. It is a cheaper alternate if it suites your needs.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

beausmith94 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:34 pm FIXED! Spent the better part of the day getting this up and running! Pulling 15-30mbps down, and 5-15mpbs up from the bottom floor of my house. All for 25 bucks a month since I'm taking advantage of the Party Pay. Reminder: Visible deprioritizes Visible customers when Verizon customers are active, AND the unthrottled bandwidth is offered for a limited time. I imagine my bandwidth could be greater or less depending on the time I test.

Note: Having both Skylight and Windows 10 managing the LTE connections leads to connection instability. Skylight will continually try to update/fix apn settings. Just uninstall Skylight and connect to MC7455, manually connect with Windows in the connection center. You will still want MC7455 drivers from the sierra wireless website.

This is for an MC7455 in a PCI adapter, with a Visible Verizon SIM, connected via USB to a windows 10 usb. Generic firmware installed on MC7455, most recent drivers installed from Sierra Wireless. I sent the commands using "My Huawei Terminal" but I believe you can send commands through putty as well.

AT! Commands for setup:

The following commands associate verizon's/visible's bands with a name your MC7455 can use to pick specific bands to connect to. Visible uses verizon's 2, 4, 5, 13, and 66, but MC7455 doesn't support band 66.

at!band=0A,"B2",0,0000000000000002 : band 2 is now associated with 0A
at!band=0B,"B4",0,0000000000000008 : band 4 is now associated with 0B
at!band=0C,"B5",0,0000000000000010 : band 5....
at!band=0D,"B13",0,0000000000001000 : band 13...
at!band=0E,"VZW (All)",0,000000000000101A :notice the 101A, this is a binary representation of all the band values above.

Depending on your area, you can set the bands. If you only have band 2 for example, you can set: at!band=0A,
Just sub 0A, B, C, D, or E.

at!band=0E will enable your MC7455 to connect to any bands/aggregate them for better download speeds. I have this enabled in my area since I have all of the bands. NOTE: if you don't have all of the bands "associated" using the above codes, using the at!band=0E command above will not work because the binary number (101A) will be different.

Hope this helps someone :)
This is good stuff man! @beausmith94 I am wondering if people already on party plan can send invites to others and they get the $25 a month deal?
foolhardy
Been thanked: 0

Post by foolhardy »

gscheb wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:57 pm After got this going realized needed to keep my WE826 ...
@gscheb,
You mentioned that you got it working with a WE826. Will you please explain in detail how you did that?

Do you need to manually configure the modem via the GoldenOrb UI?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

foolhardy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:02 pm @gscheb,
You mentioned that you got it working with a WE826. Will you please explain in detail how you did that?
Do you need to manually configure the modem via the GoldenOrb UI?

Hello,
beausmith94 is the one who got it to work and started this thread. I used his work to set up some other devices.
More about what modem you have? Then that you have a we826.
And yes at commands to set it up.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

gscheb wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:02 pm Hello,
beausmith94 is the one who got it to work and started this thread. I used his work to set up some other devices.
More about what modem you have? Then that you have a we826.
And yes at commands to set it up.
I have the MC7455 in the WE826 with the GoldenOrb/ROOter firmware.

I believe that you mentioned that you successfully configured this configuration. Did you simply paste in the AT commands shown above into this window, and that was all necessary to get visible data working?
14355310-DC36-4A71-B6DC-AFB6E11DF9A5.png
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

AT! Commands for setup:
Run each one at a time waiting for ok.

Code: Select all

at!entercnd="A710" 
at!usbcomp=1,1,1009
at+cgdcont=1,"IP","VSBLINTERNET"
at+cgdcont=1,"IPV4V6","VSBLINTERNET"
at!reset
After that make sure apn is VSBLINTERNET.
If it isn't type it in there and save.

Then set TTL to 64 and save and should be good to go.

Let us know about your results please.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

No success yet.

I did the following:
1. Installed the MC7455 into the WE826GO-U
2. Booted the router and applied the following AT commands:
at!entercnd="A710"
at!usbcomp=1,1,1009
at!reset
3. Confirmed that APN was set to VSBLINTERNET
4. Enabled custom TTL and set it to 117
5. Rebooted the router

A constant ping against google yields 4 success, 3 fail, 5 success, 3 fail, 4 success, 3 fail, ... and nothing loads in browser at all.

I can put the sim into my phone (wifi disabled) and get 40 mbit down (from same location), and websites load correctly.

Might there be any more suggestions?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Did this awhile back. No longer using it with a MC7455 my uncle is now using it in a nighthawk m1. Which is capping him to 5mps. But that works for him.
So honestly don't know.
Here is a post from the guy that started this.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=653#p4057
Only other thing he mentioned here is that is has to have Generic firmware.
Do you know if you have that?

Could possibly try other TTL values, but shooting in the dark here.

Only other thing I can think of is know that recently in past few weeks visible has updated there towers doing something.
Don't know if that update could have changed something.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

I've just tried all available TTL values with no change. Modem information follows:

at+gmi
Sierra Wireless, Incorporated

at+gmm
MC7455

at+gmr
SWI9X30C_02.33.03.00 r8209 CARMD-EV-FRMWR2 2019/08/28 20:59:30
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Have you ever tried to tether the phone. Seen on here where someone was using Visible that way.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

foolhardy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:52 pm No success yet.

I did the following:
1. Installed the MC7455 into the WE826GO-U
2. Booted the router and applied the following AT commands:
at!entercnd="A710"
at!usbcomp=1,1,1009
at!reset
3. Confirmed that APN was set to VSBLINTERNET
4. Enabled custom TTL and set it to 117
5. Rebooted the router

A constant ping against google yields 4 success, 3 fail, 5 success, 3 fail, 4 success, 3 fail, ... and nothing loads in browser at all.

I can put the sim into my phone (wifi disabled) and get 40 mbit down (from same location), and websites load correctly.

Might there be any more suggestions?
Visible did a two night software update (spread over a week) in their soft switch. Wondering if it might have changed things.

Have not tried setting up visible in my WE826GO / EM7455 yet but was planning to do so this weekend. Might be Sunday before I get to it, but will post back here how it went.

Would make sure you are running generic firmware though.

One other thing you can try is using custom firewall setting. Uncheck your 117 setting and enter this manually. Paste the below into "Custom Rules" (make sure there are no other rules and if they are, place a # at beginning of each line):

#start naive newb fw
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 117
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 117
#end naive newb fw
I would also do a reboot (under System). Certainly worth a try :)
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

terryjett wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:36 pm ...
Would make sure you are running generic firmware though.

One other thing you can try is using custom firewall setting. Uncheck your 117 setting and enter this manually. Paste the below into "Custom Rules" (make sure there are no other rules and if they are, place a # at beginning of each line):

#start naive newb fw
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 117
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 117
#end naive newb fw
I would also do a reboot (under System). Certainly worth a try :)
How can I check that the firmware is generic?

Also, I tried disabling custom TTL and applying your #start naive newb fw suggestion, and rebooted with no change.

Thank you for your help.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

foolhardy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:58 pm How can I check that the firmware is generic?

Also, I tried disabling custom TTL and applying your #start naive newb fw suggestion, and rebooted with no change.

Thank you for your help.
Pretty sure for mc7455 you check firmware with:

at!IMPREF?
Enter it under Modem/Miscellaneous into AT-Command Terminal

Lot of info right on board. Good thread for command is https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=33
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

at!IMPREF?
!IMPREF:
 preferred fw version:    02.33.03.00
 preferred carrier name:  GENERIC
 preferred config name:   GENERIC_002.072_000
 preferred subpri index:  000
 current fw version:      02.33.03.00
 current carrier name:    GENERIC
 current config name:     GENERIC_002.072_000
 current subpri index:    000
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

That looks ok. Very interesting. Going to try it myself and see what happens. Will report back my results.

Out of curiosity, what do you see when looking at Network / Interfaces? Do you get an IP4 assigned or does it look like this:
KQ4TYML[1].jpg
Also do a

at!gstatus?
and post results.

You might let the router sit (connected) for an hour and see if things change. Might do nothing for you, but at least you can see if anything changes.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

5.png

at!gstatus?
!GSTATUS:
Current Time: 194 Temperature: 40
Reset Counter: 1 Mode: ONLINE
System mode: LTE PS state: Attached
LTE band: B13 LTE bw: 10 MHz
LTE Rx chan: 5230 LTE Tx chan: 23230
LTE CA state: INACTIVE LTE Scell band:B4
LTE Scell bw:20 MHz LTE Scell chan:2050
EMM state: Registered Normal Service
RRC state: RRC Connected
IMS reg state: No Srv

PCC RxM RSSI: -67 RSRP (dBm): -96
PCC RxD RSSI: -67 RSRP (dBm): -96
SCC RxM RSSI: -96 RSRP (dBm): -112
SCC RxD RSSI: -97 RSRP (dBm): -114
Tx Power: -- TAC: A80C (43020)
RSRQ (dB): -9.8 Cell ID: 02913202 (43069954)
SINR (dB): 16.2

Per your suggestion, I will let it sit for a few hours and report back.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Yea, do a few speed test over at https://www.bing.com/widget/t/speedtest

While the speed test is running, do a few

at!gstatus?
and see if things look different than one you posted.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Just a heads on on Visible's speeds, they are currently allowing up to about 40Mbps due to the Corona virus pandemic, but eventually are planning on dropping it down to below 10Mbps... we shall see. Latency will always be higher due to the data running through both Verizon's and Visible's sever. The more hops the higher the ping, there's no way around that.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

terryjett wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:37 pm Yea, do a few speed test over at https://www.bing.com/widget/t/speedtest

While the speed test is running, do a few

at!gstatus?
and see if things look different than one you posted.
Unfortunately, no data will load so I cannot do a speed test, even through apps.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

terryjett wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:20 pm Going to try it myself and see what happens. Will report back my results.
I look forward to your results.

I also have an AT&T SIM to test in this router. Do the AT commands that I issued need to be backed out for AT&T to work? I know that I need to update APN to broadband.

Thanks again for the input.
hbr245b

Post by hbr245b »

It's probably no help to you , but I just popped my Visible SIM into my USB enclosure, changed the connection profile in Rooter to VSBLINTERNET (previously broadband for my AT&T sim) and it just works. The USB enclosure is connected to a Raspberry Pi 3B+ running GoldenOrb_2020-03-01 ( OpenWrt 18.06.7 ). TTL is set to 65.

Speedtest showed 70ms ping, 51.40 download & 50.11 upload. I'm in NYC.

I'm hoping to roll out this config to my weekend house in rural upstate NY as soon as I can get some antennae to replace the current paddles I stole off a MOFI.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

foolhardy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:17 pm Unfortunately, no data will load so I cannot do a speed test, even through apps.
Darn, was hoping for better news. Will try mine this weekend.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

hbr245b wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:46 pm It's probably no help to you , but I just popped my Visible SIM into my USB enclosure, changed the connection profile in Rooter to VSBLINTERNET (previously broadband for my AT&T sim) and it just works. The USB enclosure is connected to a Raspberry Pi 3B+ running GoldenOrb_2020-03-01 ( OpenWrt 18.06.7 ). TTL is set to 65.

Speedtest showed 70ms ping, 51.40 download & 50.11 upload. I'm in NYC.

I'm hoping to roll out this config to my weekend house in rural upstate NY as soon as I can get some antennae to replace the current paddles I stole off a MOFI.
What modem do you have?
hbr245b

Post by hbr245b »

gscheb wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:05 pm What modem do you have?
Sierra EM7565
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

hbr245b wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:42 pmSierra EM7565
Wonder if Visible starting to block MC7455. Heard of Verizon blocking Mofi units which are MC7455.
Visible is owned by Verizon. Maybe terryjett will try his and see if it works or not.
hbr245b

Post by hbr245b »

To bring my post back on topic, my mofi has a MC7455 (I think - it's not powered on currently so can't check). The visible sim works in that too just by changing the APN name.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

hbr245b wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:58 pm To bring my post back on topic, my mofi has a MC7455 (I think - it's not powered on currently so can't check). The visible sim works in that too just by changing the APN name.
Not sure the topic you speak of, but without the type of modem your info has no bearing.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

Maybe I should just buy a different modem? Currently I am unsuccessfully trying to get working the WE826GO-U with MC7455 on Visible.

Back to a previous question: I also want to test this hardware on AT&T. Do I need to “back out” any of those AT command issued to the MC7455 to test on AT&T?
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

foolhardy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:10 pm Maybe I should just buy a different modem? Currently I am unsuccessfully trying to get working the WE826GO-U with MC7455 on Visible.
At heart, I am a experimenter. Started in 1965 when I disassembled by first AM radio. Go for it, try another modem.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

Any recommendation on another modem to try with the WE826GO-U?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

foolhardy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:10 pm Maybe I should just buy a different modem? Currently I am unsuccessfully trying to get working the WE826GO-U with MC7455 on Visible.
Hello again,
Don't know if this matters at all. Sounds meaningless but what the heck. The only difference between the mofi and yours is the mode you are in. The original commands had you go to MBIM mode and the mofi works in QMI mode.
Try these commands to go to QMI mode and see if it works.
at!entercnd="A710"
at!usbcomp=1,1,10d
at!reset
hbr245b

Post by hbr245b »

terryjett wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:02 pm Not sure the topic you speak of, but without the type of modem your info has no bearing.
The topic in question is MC7455 & Visible. I just did not know what modem I had.

I can confirm that my Mofi has an MC7455 and Visible works fine by selecting the correct APN from the drop down list and then rebooting the Mofi. TTL65, service mode LTE only.

Ping 77ms, download 46.59Mbps, upload 31.22mbps.

0:[AT!GSTATUS?]
1:[!GSTATUS:]
2:[Current Time: 388 Temperature: 50]
3:[Reset Counter: 2 Mode: ONLINE]
4:[System mode: LTE PS state: Attached]
5:[LTE band: B4 LTE bw: 20 MHz]
6:[LTE Rx chan: 2050 LTE Tx chan: 20050]
7:[LTE CA state: INACTIVE LTE Scell band:B13]
8:[LTE Scell bw:10 MHz LTE Scell chan:5230]
9:[EMM state: Registered Normal Service]
10:[RRC state: RRC Connected]
11:[IMS reg state: No Srv]
12:[PCC RxM RSSI: -66 RSRP (dBm): -95]
13:[PCC RxD RSSI: -61 RSRP (dBm): -91]
14:[SCC RxM RSSI: -69 RSRP (dBm): -92]
15:[SCC RxD RSSI: -54 RSRP (dBm): -76]
16:[Tx Power: -- TAC: 5004 (20484)]
17:[RSRQ (dB): -9.9 Cell ID: 0138E10C (20504844)]
18:[SINR (dB): 7.0]
19:[OK]
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

hbr245b wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:52 pm The topic in question is MC7455 & Visible.
Perfect, thank you for clarifying your modem. It does get the thread back on topic since we now know your modem.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

gscheb wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:25 pm Try these commands to go to QMI mode and see if it works.
at!entercnd="A710"
at!usbcomp=1,1,10d
at!reset
I tried QMI mode and the modem is never able to connect to visible. In MBIM mode it connects but data never works.

Thank you for your suggestion.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

hbr245b wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:52 pmI can confirm that my Mofi has an MC7455 and Visible works fine by selecting the correct APN from the drop down list and then rebooting the Mofi. TTL65, service mode LTE only.
How do you know that the mofi has an MC7455? I previously had a 4500 and it would not work on visible either.
hbr245b

Post by hbr245b »

foolhardy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:12 am How do you now that the mofi has an MC7455? I previously had a 4500 and it would not work on visible either.
My AT&T sim is currently in the MOFI, but here's a screenshot showing the modem (highlighted in yellow):

And the output of ATi3:

foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

Thank you for the reply. I see that you have the SIM4 version. There are multiple versions including that, and SIM7, and V2.

I also tried the SIM4 version but could not make it work on visible.

My guess at present is that you must have just gotten a “good one.”
hbr245b

Post by hbr245b »

I re-read the thread and noticed that your MC7455 has a different firmware to mine:

0:[AT!impref?]
1:[!IMPREF:]
2:[preferred fw version: 02.30.03.00]
3:[preferred carrier name: GENERIC]
4:[preferred config name: GENERIC_002.046_001]
5:[current fw version: 02.30.03.00]
6:[current carrier name: GENERIC]
7:[current config name: GENERIC_002.046_001]
8:[OK]

That may be an avenue to investigate.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

hbr245b wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:46 am I re-read the thread and noticed that your MC7455 has a different firmware to mine:

Good catch. Can I flash the firmware with it installed in the WE826GO-U? The current firmware came on the modem and I've not flashed firmware before.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

foolhardy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:12 am How do you know that the mofi has an MC7455? I previously had a 4500 and it would not work on visible either.
See hr245b said he set his to LTE only. Have you tried that?
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

gscheb wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:52 am See hr245b said he set his to LTE only. Have you tried that?
Thank you for the input. Yes, I tried LTE only.
hbr245b

Post by hbr245b »

foolhardy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:50 am Good catch. Can I flash the firmware with it installed in the WE826GO-U? The current firmware came on the modem and I've not flashed firmware before.
I did recently flash the firmware via the mofi web interface but as I don't have a WE826GO-U can't make any recommendations.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

hbr245b wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:46 am I re-read the thread and noticed that your MC7455 has a different firmware to mine:

Good catch. What modem version are you running and where did you get it?

Can I flash the firmware with it installed in the WE826GO-U? The current firmware came on the modem and I've not flashed firmware before.
hbr245b

Post by hbr245b »

foolhardy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:01 am Good catch. What modem version are you running and where did you get it?

Can I flash the firmware with it installed in the WE826GO-U? The current firmware came on the modem and I've not flashed firmware before.
The modem was included in the MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4_COMBO that I purchased in January of this year.

0:[ATi3]
1:[Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated]
2:[Model: MC7455]
3:[Revision: SWI9X30C_02.30.03.00 r7804 CARMD-EV-FRMWR2 2018/07/25 01:10:04]
4:[MEID: XXXX]
5:[IMEI: XXXXX]
6:[IMEI SV: XX]
7:[FSN: XX]
8:[+GCAP: +CGSM]
9:[OK]

I did recently flash the firmware via the Mofi web interface but can't make any recommendations for GoldenOrb.

I have to go out for a couple of hours but when I return I'll re-insert the Visible sim into the Mofi and see if I can assist you more.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

hbr245b wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:09 am The modem was included in the MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4_COMBO that I purchased in January of this year.

0:[ATi3]
1:[Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated]
2:[Model: MC7455]
3:[Revision: SWI9X30C_02.30.03.00 r7804 CARMD-EV-FRMWR2 2018/07/25 01:10:04]
4:[MEID: XXXX]
5:[IMEI: XXXXX]
6:[IMEI SV: XX]
7:[FSN: XX]
8:[+GCAP: +CGSM]
9:[OK]

I did recently flash the firmware via the Mofi web interface but can't make any recommendations for GoldenOrb.

I have to go out for a couple of hours but when I return I'll re-insert the Visible sim into the Mofi and see if I can assist you more.
My apologies. I meant "Where did you get your firmware which you installed recently on your MC7455?"
hbr245b

Post by hbr245b »

foolhardy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:10 am My apologies. I meant "Where did you get your firmware which you installed recently on your MC7455?"
The mofi web interface has an "internal module flasher" to update modem firmware. Presumably the firmware is downloaded from mofinetworks.com but I can't be 100% certain.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

I think that, unfortunately, the WiFix firmware does not support modem firmware-flashing.

I have ordered a Mini PCI-E to usb adapter with SIM slot. I think that I should try this firmware:

7.PNG

Any thoughts or suggestions?
hbr245b

Post by hbr245b »

foolhardy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:41 am I think that, unfortunately, the WiFix firmware does not support modem firmware-flashing.

I have ordered a Mini PCI-E to usb adapter with SIM slot. I think that I should try this firmware:

7.PNG

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Don't you already have the latest generic firmware already installed on your modem?

See your post: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8& ... t=30#p8613

I'm using generic, but it looks like I have an earlier version (despite mofi saying that it's the latest)
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

hbr245b wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:46 am Don't you already have the latest generic firmware already installed on your modem?

See your post: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8& ... t=30#p8613

I'm using generic, but it looks like I have an earlier version (despite mofi saying that it's the latest)
Stating the obvious here: I’m new to this.

Indeed I am running latest generic firmware. I was thinking that maybe the Verizon firmware might work better than the generic (?)
hbr245b

Post by hbr245b »

You could try the Verizon firmware. Is it already loaded in your modem? I'm not certain it will have any effect though.

Just to re-iterate: I haven't run any AT commands to make changes to the modem. I just set the correct APN via the web interface & rebooted. Generic firmware selected on the modem.
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

I ran the following commands on my modem to try to get it to work with visible:

at!entercnd="A710"
at!usbcomp=1,1,1009
at!reset

Might that be causing me problems? My modem currently is in MBIM mode, As it will not connect at all in QMI mode.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

foolhardy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:41 pm I ran the following commands on my modem to try to get it to work with visible:
at!entercnd="A710"
at!usbcomp=1,1,1009
at!reset
Might that be causing me problems?
Hello got this from home Sierra wireless MC7455 tutorial section.

There may be times were one needs to restore the modem to its OEM configurations. This will effectively reset any changes you have made to the modem's settings.

To restore to OEM settings:

at!entercnd="A710"
at!RMARESET=1
BillA

Post by BillA »

For those who are still having difficulty connecting on Visible, from what I've read they work off of IPV6 only, so try this which will also set it to auto-scan and LTE only. You may also have to try both QMI and MBIM modes.

AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!BAND=00
AT!SELRAT=06
AT!CUSTOM="IPV6ENABLE",1
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IPV6","VSBLINTERNET"
AT!RESET
foolhardy

Post by foolhardy »

BillA wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:14 am For those who are still having difficulty connecting on Visible, from what I've read they work off of IPV6 only, so try this which will also set it to auto-scan and LTE only. You may also have to try both QMI and MBIM modes.

AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!BAND=00
AT!SELRAT=06
AT!CUSTOM="IPV6ENABLE",1
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IPV6","VSBLINTERNET"
AT!RESET
I get:

AT!BAND=00
ERROR

Return to “General and Unclassified”