WG3526 - WiFi is up and down constantly, and devices require a static IP to connect.

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
serverside

WG3526 - WiFi is up and down constantly, and devices require a static IP to connect.

Post by serverside »

So I've got internet now, but lacking really a true DCHP wifi handout. On android phones (haven't tried iOS, as I don't do iphones), it saves it and then never connects just drops it, if I put in a static address it works fine. The same is happening for my Thinkpad, it has a static IP just to stay connected. Even then though the wifi drops constantly. The 5Ghz doesn't work either, I've tried enabling it, disabling it, rebooting etc. nothing seems to work. I had this same issue with my Archer C7 but eventually fixed it by messing with the transmit power and disabling 5Ghz. So that's what I did this go around and it's still having issues.

Any ideas anyone?
Dairyman
Has thanked: 0

Re: WG3526 - Wifi is up and down constantly, and devices require a static IP to connect.

Post by Dairyman »

What firmware are you running?

Some snapshot builds seem to have a bug introduced that affects Wifi on ZBT routers.
serverside

Re: WG3526 - Wifi is up and down constantly, and devices require a static IP to connect.

Post by serverside »

GoldenOrb_2018-05-24 ( OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r6953-aa30eb5 ) / LuCI Master (git-18.132.27414-88a1f8f)
Dairyman

Post by Dairyman »

I'll build you one using and older snapshot version from April that has been updated to the latest ROOter scripts.

There are issues with newer snapshot versions.
serverside

Post by serverside »

Is there a WE3526 build from that? The one that's on the Ofmodemsandmen is from Dec 17 for the WE3526
Dairyman

Re: WE3526 - Wifi is up and down constantly, and devices require a static IP to connect.

Post by Dairyman »

serverside wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:32 pm Is there a WE3526 build from that? The one that's on the Ofmodemsandmen is from Dec 17 for the WE3526
Yes there is.

http://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/we3526-GO2018-07-15.zip

This uses an older snapshot build that doesn't seem to have the problems later ones do but has the very latest ROOter scripts in it.

It fixed the Wifi problems on a WE1326 so it should fix yours as well.
serverside

Re: WE3526 - Wifi is up and down constantly, and devices require a static IP to connect.

Post by serverside »

Ok I'll give it a go tonight. Thanks
serverside

Post by serverside »

The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform.

Getting this error, and it's if I pull the .bin file or upload the .zip
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Use the bin file. If you are attempting to upload an older kernel than the one you are using, you will most likely have to use the boot loader menu. Refer to HERE
serverside

Post by serverside »

ok I'll give this a go later tonight.
serverside

Post by serverside »

Super late reply on this, but I've reverted back to the one Dairyman sent me. So the Chinese menu popped up, your guide is way old and the menu has changed. Not hard to figure out though, so I got that taken care of.

So now that I'm on the earlier version of Rooter, YaY.

Bad news is....my Wifi, while I actually had wifi on the last one, this version is showing that it won't broadcast more than 1mw or 0db....2 feet from the router (literally) is where I get a connection.

So back to where we started...can't test if this works because nothing can see my wifi. lol This is the same for AC 5ghz also.

HALP!!!!!
0DB Wifi.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dairyman

Post by Dairyman »

I have created an image for this using the very latest OpenWrt release, 18.06, and hopefully they have sorted out any issues.

http://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/we3526-GO2018-08-08.zip

This has the very latest ROOter available and, with luck, is what you need.
serverside

Post by serverside »

4th times a charm?

lol, spinning it up now and will let you know how it works out.
serverside

Post by serverside »

Nope same thing. Still showing 0db. Also password is admin for anyone who sees the thread. And when I flashed the firmware it pulled it up to the Chinese language screen and I had to flash it a second time
serverside

Post by serverside »

It's also not allowing me to change the lan ip range to 0.1 vs 1.1
serverside

Post by serverside »

Had to force it to go to .0.1 lan ip range, but that works now
serverside

Post by serverside »

Any ideas? Right now I've got no wifi :( might have to dig out the Archer c7 with lede on it so I can get WiFi going again.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Okay, this is my thought process. Lets start at the bottom.

Your router is a WE3526 (and not a WG3526 or WE3926)?
serverside

Post by serverside »

Wow....WG3526 4G LTE WiFi Router Dual Band (2.4GHz-5GHz) WiFi

That might be why....how did I screw that up ><
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

serverside wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:22 pm Wow....WG3526 4G LTE WiFi Router Dual Band (2.4GHz-5GHz) WiFi

That might be why....how did I screw that up ><
Its all those numbers and letters that are too similar to one another. :D

Okay, while this may be a bit of a pain, these are the steps I would follow:

1. Reload/reflash the OEM Firmware onto the WG3526

2. You may have to access the boot loader menu for the OEM flash.

3. Reflash the WG3526 using this GoldenOrb image.

4. Then follow this Guide to configure everything.
serverside

Post by serverside »

At this point I've done that so many damn times, after I read your comment and was like how the hell did I mess that up. I went and reflashed that image from the uploads, and did the OEM reset...just finished redoing my routes and everything is back up. Even have 5ghz again. Showing 20mw and 15mw for 2.4 and 5ghz...SWEET!

Will let you all know if this causes more issues or if it works like a champ, so far...internet and all that jazz looks good.

Thanks for all the help, and sorry for the trouble ><
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Sweet! It is generally something small or overlooked that gives the most issues. Glad you are up and running.
serverside

Post by serverside »

Ok so wifi works on everything BUT....android phones, which for some reason only seem to get a signal or connect IF I give it a static address otherwise DHCP it tosses like a hot sack of potatoes.
Dairyman

Post by Dairyman »

There is a new image for the WG3526 now available using OpenWrt 18.06.

http://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/wg3526-GO2018-08-08.zip

With luck this may have the fixes to cure the DHCP problems.
serverside

Post by serverside »

I might try this later, right now everything is working...sorta.
serverside

Post by serverside »

Just to update this for anyone who is having issues with wifi to android or iphone devices.

Get a app called Wifi Analyzer on the play store (anything that can check channels), search for the least crowded channel. In my case, I was on channel 11 and had 2 other items on it as well. Changed it to channel 6 where nothing was broadcasting, and all is well now. Will use it here for a few days to see how this goes and will update. Next thing in line for me is to use my old Archer C7 With LEDE/ROOTer to create a extender out of it, via wired and then wifi repeater.
serverside

Post by serverside »

Also Jim is it possible to change the topic to WG3526 vs the WE so no one comes here and thinks this is for the WE.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

serverside wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:37 am Also Jim is it possible to change the topic to WG3526 vs the WE so no one comes here and thinks this is for the WE.
I changed the main topic and a few of the replies. Feel free to change your posts as well.
serverside

Post by serverside »

Awesome thank you sir!
dajmanjt

Post by dajmanjt »

Hey serverside can you try to upgrade to the latest test rooter firmware for the wg3526?

http://ofmodemsandmen.com/upload/wg3526-GO2018-08-11.zip

I tried it and couldn't get into the firmware because the login screen wouldn't let me in. I'm trying to see if it's just my device or if the image has issues. Would you be willing to upgrade and see? On the newest build the password is removed so your supposed to login with no password and then set a password, but mine won't let me in. Clean flashed multiple times without success. Now wanting to see if it's just me or the image. If not no biggie, just trying to find other users with the wg3526 to try it out.

Thanks!
serverside

Post by serverside »

Default password is admin all lower case. Dunno if it's posted anywhere though.
serverside

Post by serverside »

Just to update, the wifi issue is definitely not fixed. Its still failing to allow my Android devices connect. The laptops seem to work fine but phones and tablets not at all, even when forcing a static IP address they just drop constantly or never connect at all. Going to try the latest build tonight.
serverside

Post by serverside »

My current work around right now is LEDE/ROOTer running as the main router with DDWRT as the repeater for Wifi. Wifi is turned off on the LEDE/ROOTer router and on with the DDWRT box.

Hopefully it will be eventually stable enough for me to turn it on with the WG3526 box.
bjames

Post by bjames »

serverside wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:08 pm
Hopefully it will be eventually stable enough for me to turn it on with the WG3526 box.
I use the new WiFix GoldenOrb build on the WG3526 and the wifi works flawlessly. Here is the link I was provided:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VG_CM ... RbilV4Gr9M

Recommended to uncheck the save settings box.

Return to “General and Unclassified”