Sierra MC7354: 1st attempt at LTE rural internet, have some hardware on hand

Sierra Wireless AirPrime Modem Card Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
futurecode
Has thanked: 0

Sierra MC7354: 1st attempt at LTE rural internet, have some hardware on hand

Post by futurecode »

Okay, moved to a DSL 4 down/.5 up local and with working from home intermittently to having just he plain basic rights of decent internet I'm ready to dive in the LTE game.

Attached is am image of my ATT towers (my best bet I believe) in relation to where I live (relatively center of he image). The four twoers lsited range from 2 miles to 3.8 miles for my house.

My initial research lead me down the Ubifi route but when I dug deeper I came across many more options beyond the standard Mofi4500 and a uncharged unlimited plan. I've seen options of building you own setup's to routers other that the Mofi4500 ... then I realized I have a couple of Sierra Wireless AirPrime MC7354 modems attached to Sim card equipped USB PCB's laying around and was wondering if there is a janky, DIY route I can go with my set up.

This is all new to me but I also know enough to be dangerous so I was looking for a bit guidance ... sorry if this intro should have been posted elsewhere but with me having those Sierra cards laying around this looked like a good place to start.
terryjett

Re: Sierra MC7354: 1st attempt at LTE rural internet, have some hardware on hand

Post by terryjett »

Been in your position. Our area only offers DSL 6/.076.

My first suggestion: If you have a at&t sim, do a little testing at home then drive around and check signal levels / download speeds.

Until you get an idea what the reception is like, hard to go on just tower locations. Never been to your part of NJ and terrain means a lot.

If you do not have an at& t plan, get a prepaid and start testing. See a lot of band 17 (12) in your area. You have some equipment already, right?. Without seeing what equipment you have, hard to suggest next step. Take a few picture and post them:)

Return to “Sierra Wireless Modems”