Dell, Panasonic, etc Sierra Wireless Cards

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
terryjett

Dell, Panasonic, etc Sierra Wireless Cards

Post by terryjett »

I ran across a surplus of different Dell and Panasonic Sierra Wireless modem cards.

How hard is it to use them with GoldenOrb Firmware? Most of them are equivalent to MC7354, MC7700, MC7455 and some EM versions.

Just wondering how hard it is to make them work. If lot of trouble figure it is not worth messing with them.

Saw a thread here mentioning Dell / Panasonic and their PID/VID but does not go into actually what is involved.

Thanks in advance for any input!
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Dell, Panasonic, etc Sierra Wireless Cards

Post by JimHelms »

Yes, vendor branded modems (at least the EMXXXX series) generally require changing the PID/VID.

Review the information HERE and HERE for instructions on modifying them.
Ozhoo
Has thanked: 0

Post by Ozhoo »

I'm relatively new to this stuff but found the following to be an easy way to modify them.

Mount the modem into a router and run the following commands to change the PID/VID
AT!ENTERCND=“A710”
AT!USBPID=9071,9070
AT!USBVID=1199
AT!USBPRODUCT=“EM7455”
AT!PRIID=“9904802”,“001.001”,“Generic”

Now you can mount the modem into a usb adapter and flash the generic firmware using a windows machine.

O
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Thanks for the info! Did a search and did not see that doc. Thought I was a pretty savvy searcher but guess not:)

Would be interesting to see if there are more related to other cards but guessing all about the same procedure.

Friend ran across couple of small cardboard boxes of older primecards at ham swap meet in Louisiana. Most look little on the ruff side but some good enough to "play" with.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Hey Jim or anyone with experience on adapters:

I have a few mini pci-e to m.2 adapters bought some time back for unrelated project. This is description: https://www.amazon.com/NGFF-mSATA-Adapt ... 07H8VGXLZ/

Will the above work with the sierra EM cards?

Did not want to buy another if what I have on hand works...
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

terryjett wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:50 pm
I have a few mini pci-e to m.2 adapters bought some time back for unrelated project. This is description: https://www.amazon.com/NGFF-mSATA-Adapt ... 07H8VGXLZ/

Will the above work with the sierra EM cards?
Nope, don't believe those will work. We have only found a hand full of Mini PCI-E to M.2 adapters that work on a consistent basis.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

JimHelms wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:39 pm Nope, don't believe those will work. We have only found a hand full of Mini PCI-E to M.2 adapters that work on a consistent basis.
Thanks Jim. Kind of figured that. Found them in old parts box and figured worth asking. Honestly cannot remember what I bought them for... Reminds me why the wife is always saying "you spend to much on that crap", lol.
Frankedinven
Has thanked: 0

Post by Frankedinven »

Daniel Wood has created a script that will convert any EM7455 to Sierra standard on latest FW.
The Script is run from Ubuntu LiveUSB and is in my opinion the simplest way to to do the conversion.

https://www.ttl.one/2018/07/sierra-wire ... m74xx.html

Frank
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Thanks @Frankedinven, great find / share.

Always keep good ole' Ubuntu Bootable USB around for projects like this. Going to give it try when get chance. Also may be good base script for other cards..
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Wondering if the automated script by Daniel Wood will work on EM7355 DW5808e? This is not really the place to ask that, but thought someone may have some past experience with the EM7355 DW5808e.

EDIT: I should have looked closer at the .sh file. No way it will work with EM7355...

But going to tackle the EM7355 DW5808e and attempt to convert. Any tips appreciated.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”