ROOTER - Port Forwarding

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
serverside

ROOTER - Port Forwarding

Post by serverside »

So I'm having a bit of an issue, I'm trying to forward a port and there are two spots for it in the Network -> FireWall Location. I'm seeing Port Forwards and then under Traffic Rules also a port forward. Which do I need to be using?

I've tried
Source Zone being Wan/wan1/wan2 (modem)
Source IP: Any
Source Port: any
External IP: any
External Port: Port I want opened
Internal Zone: Lan
Internal IP Address: My Server
Internal Port: Port I want Opened
Enable Nat Loopback: Checked.

Restarted Firewall - and nothing.
serverside

Re: ROOTER - Port Forwarding

Post by serverside »

So wanting to update this....basically 4G on ATT doesn't allow for port forwarding because they still use IPV4, so I'm NATed with like 100 other people on the same public IP. I got around this though as I have a VPN and just request a port and use it. Sucks but I'm on the Mobily plan paying $23 for 100+MBs down and 20+Up...
scottfree
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by scottfree »

Im in the same boat, thinking of switching to verizon or sprint. Did this solution help with lag? Is there a tutorial on how to do this?
BillA

Post by BillA »

serverside wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:30 am So wanting to update this....basically 4G on ATT doesn't allow for port forwarding because they still use IPV4, so I'm NATed with like 100 other people on the same public IP. I got around this though as I have a VPN and just request a port and use it. Sucks but I'm on the Mobily plan paying $23 for 100+MBs down and 20+Up...
Please don't take this as nitpicking, just would like to point out the correct expression of your down/up speeds.
If you put down 100+MBs, it means MegaBytes/sec (upper case B=Bytes, lover case b=bits), which would equal to 800Mbps (Megabits/sec), and I'm pretty sure you're getting nowhere near that with regular 4G-LTE. Hope you can see that those 3-4 letters can make a huge difference in your actual speed. Trust me, once upon a time it was confusing for me too. ;)

For testing purposes try to disable firewall completely, then simply define your forwarding rules under Traffic Rules only.
As I recall I have used ISP's with IP4 (no IPV6) and was able to forwards ports just fine. Play around with the above suggestion and see how it goes.
serverside

Post by serverside »

BillA wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:20 am Please don't take this as nitpicking, just would like to point out the correct expression of your down/up speeds.
If you put down 100+MBs, it means MegaBytes/sec (upper case B=Bytes, lover case b=bits), which would equal to 800Mbps (Megabits/sec), and I'm pretty sure you're getting nowhere near that with regular 4G-LTE. Hope you can see that those 3-4 letters can make a huge difference in your actual speed. Trust me, once upon a time it was confusing for me too. ;)

For testing purposes try to disable firewall completely, then simply define your forwarding rules under Traffic Rules only.
As I recall I have used ISP's with IP4 (no IPV6) and was able to forwards ports just fine. Play around with the above suggestion and see how it goes.
Super late to this reply, but yes, you are correct. I think it was MBs cause I was on my phone and it continued to autocorrect it to something else...but yes I'm pulling like 10-12+ MBs and 100+mbs. Also the FW suggestions didn't work, but as I stated above, I'm Cgnated with a bunch of other people under a single public IP. My OpenVPN deal with Digital Ocean for $5 a month works great, no complaints at all and very easy to setup.

Return to “General and Unclassified”