Cradlepoint CBA850 with Visible (the service)

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
sokraski
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cradlepoint CBA850 with Visible (the service)

Post by sokraski »

Having trouble getting CBA850 to connect to Visible.

Verified working with Verizon sim, but not Visible (which uses Verizon towers). Normally I just have to change APN to 'vsblinternet' but this does not work with this device.

Visible SIM does work in a Jetpack (Mifi 6620L) and also MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4.

I've tried suggestions from here:
https://customer.cradlepoint.com/s/arti ... No-Carrier
without any luck.

Has anybody got this working with Visible? Thanks.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Cradlepoint CBA850 with Visible (the service)

Post by JimHelms »

sokraski wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:52 pm Verified working with Verizon sim, but not Visible (which uses Verizon towers). Normally I just have to change APN to 'vsblinternet' but this does not work with this device.
Go to STATUS > INTERNET > CONNECTIONS and expand the CELLULAR NETWORK tab and see if the 'vsblinternet' APN is in one of the profiles being sent to the modem.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello sokraski,
Don't know the answer to your question. Was wondering if you would create a post on how to get service thru visible? Been wondering if that is possible? Was thinking you would have to connect a phone to router via usb port. But you can actually put the SIM in a Mofi and get it to work? Or if anyone else has experience with it. Thanks in advance for any help with this.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Just wanted to point out to anyone considering using Visible's service, for their unusually high ping times between 100-200 ms which is almost unusable for real-time gaming and other delay sensitive applications.
While they are using Verizon towers, they are piggybacking their own server/firewall/VoIP gateway/video filters (they actually throttle video streams by sniffing packets in real time), which introduces a fairly high latency and speed decrease while watching YouTube. Also, you must use their app for voice calls, since they carry voice over the data channel (not VoLTE like Verizon does). Due to the high latency times, their app review in PlayStore is littered with complaints about crappy/choppy audio (no wonder). So, while their pricing might look attractive, as they say "There's always a catch!".
I'd love to see some real world ping times from their actual users. ;)
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Set my uncle up with this. All they do is email, Facebook, Netflix and basic browsing..So it is just fine for them they think it is great. But anyway from what I seen compared to Verizon is the ping is basically double and the download speed is 70% of Verizon.
Here is a video about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGSzjEf0LXA
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:40 am Hello,
Set my uncle up with this. All they do is email, Facebook, Netflix and basic browsing..So it is just fine for them they think it is great. But anyway from what I seen compared to Verizon is the ping is basically double and the download speed is 70% of Verizon.
Here is a video about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGSzjEf0LXA
Just as suspected, the video you've posted clearly points it out that Visible's service will only run on smart phones, due to their special app must be running in the background, which clearly indicates their piggybacking on the Verizon network. So while it won't work by inserting a Visible sim into a wireless router, you could tether a smart phone to a router via USB or WiFi to share the phone's data connection. Just keep in mind that the latency and speed decrease on videos will still be present.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello
Yes they do say you can't put out in router but you can. Just have to configure it for it. You have to put it in phone first with the app to activate it. Then configure hotspot / router for it. That is what I did for my uncle. He is using it with a nighthawk M1. Now yes in it you are still dealing with latency and throttling. But he is completely happy with it. Suites his needs.
If you want to see how to configure it see this post.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=669
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:25 am Hello
Yes they do say you can't put out in router but you can. Just have to configure it for it. You have to put it in phone first with the app to activate it. Then configure hotspot / router for it. That is what I did for my uncle. He is using it with a nighthawk M1. Now yes in it you are still dealing with latency and throttling. But he is completely happy with it. Suites his needs.
If you want to see how to configure it see this post.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=669

Interesting... so that means that data will work on any device but not voice. Looks like Visible's app must be running for voice calls (most likely using VoIP), thus the countless complaints about voice quality in the PlayStore.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Yes I believe that is right.
GrandPooh-Bah

Post by GrandPooh-Bah »

I've had Visible for 3 months now and have one phone tethered to my desktop and have downloaded nearly a terabyte of data so far. We use our daily phones to hotspot to our TV's and watch TV with no issues, Netflix & Prime. ect.
ysph_
Been thanked: 0

Post by ysph_ »

in my experience, you can get visible working on anything with the proper radios onboard as long as you are able to choose or manually edit the APN since it's only using LTE.
there are many routers that work, many network adapters for laptops that you can stuff the SIM into and set the APN manually. fewer phones than there are routers or nics. i use a cheap little gl-inet router from amazon. it allows me to spoof my TTL and HL values so that they think i'm on an android device, that way they don't cap my service thinking i'm using a hotspot. there are other ways of doing this, but they all required me to have to repeat the process occasionally. setting them in your router works great though. 92MBIT downstream baby. i should mention that verizon has a major monopoly on the cellular market in my area, so their service is top notch. even with all my data being rerouted back through visible, i still get a 44ms latency on good days.

you all sound like you got it figured out pretty well.
i'm available if anybody wants a more elaborate explanation on some of the tricks i've learned/figured out though, regarding getting the optimal visible wireless experience. i haven't swapped over to their newer network mode yet. the sim got lost in the mail apparently. so i don't have any insight on what that's supposed to be like, but i've heard that we'll just be moved onto the core network, rather than getting all the extra latency. guess we'll find out soon though. 1st of the year, rumor has it. i actually have to get a different device for one of my lines because they say it isn't compatible and won't even send you the SIM unless your phone is on their list. If you're wondering, the best option is a pixel 5a because it's the cheapest way you can use grapheneOS without any issues on visible.

cheers
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

ysph_ wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:51 am i use a cheap little gl-inet router from amazon. it allows me to spoof my TTL and HL values so that they think i'm on an android device, that way they don't cap my service thinking i'm using a hotspot.
Hello,

Had someone set up using visible for quite some time now using this method for setup viewtopic.php?p=18630#p18630.
Unfortunately the last 6-8 months or so it just don't work worth hardly at all anymore.

What device are you using for this?
And is the TTL really the only change you are making?
Cause lately allot of us had to do more than that in the last 6-8 months.

Thanks,

Return to “General and Unclassified”