T-Mobile HD Media Settings

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
gscheb

T-Mobile HD Media Settings

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
I have a MC7455 modem with Mimo Configuration 2 log periodic antennas with lmr 400 cable.
Positioned on top of a TV tower antenna. Receiving down load of 48 to 62 mbps.
But even as I improved this speed still couldn't get HD quality on my tvs and computer streaming.

Then realized the issue was my account on T-mobile.
Had to log into my account.
Go to profile.
Then media settings.
There seen that HD Streaming was turned off on my account.
Never knew such things existed.
Turned it on then immediately have beautiful picture on my computers and tvs
Now can also live stream which was never able to do.

Don't know if this will help anyone but want to put it out there encase was someone like me not knowing that this T-Mobile account setting to block this feature that was paying for.

Will include pics of this.
Profile.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BillA

Re: T-Mobile HD Media Settings

Post by BillA »

Understandably carriers rather not have you turn it off, because that's extra data for them to transfer (screw them!;). They basically filter all packets though their proxy, and when a video stream is sensed, they throttle the data speed sufficiently to the point where the video server automatically drops the resolution in order to keep up streaming without buffering. Luckily, video throttling can be turned off several ways on Tmobile (similar ways on other carriers).

1. From your online account or the Tmobile app as described in the previous post.

2. By simply dialing these codes on your phone's keypad + call
#BNG# - (#264#) Check the status of Binge On .
#BOF# - (#263#) To turn Binge Off (no throttling)
#BON# - (#266#) To turn Binge On (with throttling)

3. Or by using a regular proxy, no need for a more expensive VPN (at least on Tmobile). Here's a post on how to set it up:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=4706#p4706
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

Bill,

the video stream, if HTML5 is over HTTPS, is encypted - there should be no way, besides DPI, AFAIK for Tmobile to detect a HTTPS stream is video unless they are looking at IPs and matching them to known providers (like YT).

My IP theory has support from your observation that a regular proxy (which does not thwart DPI) bypasses video throttling as the stream is simply rerouted over a different block of IPs than those that are traffic managed by Tmobile.
BillA

Post by BillA »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:04 am Bill,

the video stream, if HTML5 is over HTTPS, is encypted - there should be no way, besides DPI, AFAIK for Tmobile to detect a HTTPS stream is video unless they are looking at IPs and matching them to known providers (like YT).

My IP theory has support from your observation that a regular proxy (which does not thwart DPI) bypasses video throttling as the stream is simply rerouted over a different block of IPs than those that are traffic managed by Tmobile.

Carriers use both packet and/or IP filtering. On Tmobile/SimpleMobile a simple proxy does in fact bypass YouTube's video restriction. I ran many tests with the proxy on and off and the difference is very much noticeable. It could be just a fluke but it definitely works, course they could throttle it at anytime by using deep packet filtering in which case only a VPN would be able to bypass it. I don't like VPN's because they slow down all connections.

On Tmobile/SimpleMobile running a speed test on Netflix's Fast.com, with the proxy off I get below 2Mbps, with proxy on I get the full speed of my mobile connection >50Mbps. No VPN needed which just slows down all connection, plus it's more expensive and difficult to set up. Not sure if the proxy brand matters, but I'm using bestproxyandvpn.com
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

BillA wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:07 pm A great video speed test is Netflix's Fast.com, with the proxy off I get below 2Mbps, with proxy on I get the full speed of my mobile connection >50Mbps.
Thank you Bill, this is exactly the datapoint I was looking for.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

BillA wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:07 pm I don't like VPN's because they slow down all connections.
I'm not sure how robust the openvpn settings in OpenWrt are, as I've always used my Asus router to handle that, but I do know that with the Merlin AsusWRT firmware I can set it so that only specific IP addresses/ranges get tunneled. Right now only my gaming consoles are on the VPN since that tunnel bypasses the strict cg-nat, but I could also set it to route all Netflix traffic, or all traffic EXCEPT for Netflix (since Netflix tends to block known VPN addresses).

Return to “Internet Service Providers”