New to this still.

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
lloyd.arms
Been thanked: 0

New to this still.

Post by lloyd.arms »

I need to restrict one users download speed or connection speed. Is this something pretty easily done.
WE826-T2 router.
LateParrot

Re: New to this still.

Post by LateParrot »

Short answer no,
Long answer is you'd need a custom QOS script compatible with whatever software your router is running. So unless you're well versed in scripting it's not going to be easy.
lloyd.arms
Been thanked: 0

Post by lloyd.arms »

Figures. Always someone in the household who feels he/she must hog all the bandwidth that they pay 0 for.
LateParrot

Post by LateParrot »

A trick I used was to setup a mac filter and just disable whoever was causing the problem.

"I was only on like two websites", She said.
"No, you've been on facetime with your boyfriend while watching netflix all day, leaving the other three of us 100KBps while I'm trying to work. You've used your data allowance for the day." Was my response.

At&t dsl was the worst.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

It's much easier to do it further inside your home network. I actually do this on my guest wifi network at the wireless network level on the AP.

It's easily done with a Ubiquiti AP, the user just has to connect to that SSID only.

It's much more difficult otherwise, as you have to have some static way to track the user like IP address, mac address, etc. and that gets tricky and is easily bypassed.
LateParrot

Post by LateParrot »

swwifty wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:41 pm It's easily done with a Ubiquiti AP, the user just has to connect to that SSID only.
Ah so you're just setting up QOS on the one AP right? That's pretty clever as long as they don't know there are other SSID's.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

LateParrot wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:08 pm Ah so you're just setting up QOS on the one AP right? That's pretty clever as long as they don't know there are other SSID's.
Correct, well it doesn't matter if the other SSIDs are visible or not if they don't have the password :)

Return to “General and Unclassified”