Newbie help requested. Verizon sim card and want to install in router

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
50stangpower
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Newbie help requested. Verizon sim card and want to install in router

Post by 50stangpower »

Hello,
This is my first post and I am glad to be apart of this forum and hope to learn alot. Previously we used comcast cable internet, with a modem and seperate wireless router to connect everything to our house. We have just moved and the new house has no internet available. Currently we have been using my "unlimited" verizon mifi for the kids to watch tablets or misc items. I just ordered on of the unlimited verizon cards from a partner on this site. We have great cell signal at the house.

What in would like to do is put the sim card into a nice router that will send signal throughout my house (4,500 sf). Could you lead me into the right direction for the best current solution?

Thanks and don't mind dumbing it down as I am still new to all of this!
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Newbie help requested. Verizon sim card and want to install in router

Post by JimHelms »

There are several options available. Making the right selection depends on whether you want to build a custom router, or prefer a plug and play setup.

You mention already have a WiFi router. If the WiFi component of this router is sufficient for your needs, I would consider the refurbished Cradlepoint CBA850LP6. These are great routers and are very stable and easy to configure.

The CBA850LP6 will act as the modem (i.e., replacing the Comcast modem), and connect directly to your WiFi router via Ethernet cable. Not much configuration involved. See THIS tutorial for a brief introduction and the various configurations which should help you get an idea to this setup.

If you would rather build a custom router, there are many options available. If this is the direction you prefer, then I can make some recommendations.
50stangpower

Post by 50stangpower »

Thanks for the reply. I believe the link you sent for directions is dead. Also is there a batter "all in one" system or would this be the easiest with least amount of work required
50stangpower

Post by 50stangpower »

well I purchased the Cradlepoint CBA850LP6 from you and just got my sim card in the mail today. does it turn out that i need a modem for the SIM card to install into? I cannot find anything in the cradlepoint where the SIM card will go.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Remove the Phillips head screw on the bottom of the router where the antenna connectors are located.

Then, pop off the white end cap by sliding it over the antenna connectors.

The antenna connectors are attached to the modem which slides out of the router.

Once removed, you will see two SIM Card slots, and either slot may be used.

It does require a standard (full) sized SIM Card or use of a SIM Card Adapter if you are using a smaller Mini or Micro SIM Card (i.e., out of a phone).
50stangpower

Post by 50stangpower »

Jim,
Thanks for your help last year. It has worked great all year. I was just notified that my unlimited Verizon supplier will no longer be able to sell me internet via his sim card. Could you help me out with another supplier?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

50stangpower wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:25 pm Jim,
Thanks for your help last year. It has worked great all year. I was just notified that my unlimited Verizon supplier will no longer be able to sell me internet via his sim card. Could you help me out with another supplier?
If Verizon has been working well, then you may try Visible. You will need a WiFi router that allows changing the TTL.

Do a search on the forum for Visible Cradlepoint and read up on what members are doing.

Return to “General and Unclassified”