Install modemmanager on openwrt without builds ?

Topics related to OpenWRT, LEDE, GoldenOrb, Linux and other firmware
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
joshhighley
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Install modemmanager on openwrt without builds ?

Post by joshhighley »

I have a gl.inet AR150 running Rooter with an EM7455 in the USB3 enclosure (way better than the cheap USB2 enclosures BTW). I'd like to switch to modemmanager. Is it possible to start with "base" OpenWRT and then install the qmi & modemmanager packages on the router, directly? I'd rather not setup and configure a firmware build on another machine, if it's avoidable.
swwifty

Re: Install modemmanager on openwrt without builds ?

Post by swwifty »

joshhighley wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:19 pm I have a gl.inet AR150 running Rooter with an EM7455 in the USB3 enclosure (way better than the cheap USB2 enclosures BTW). I'd like to switch to modemmanager. Is it possible to start with "base" OpenWRT and then install the qmi & modemmanager packages on the router, directly? I'd rather not setup and configure a firmware build on another machine, if it's avoidable.
Yes, I believe so. I want to try this myself soon, just haven't had the time yet. I plan to do a guide in the future when I do this.
jim.vanator

Post by jim.vanator »

To the best of my knowledge, it's not possible. If you've ever done your own build, you understand that any given day tends to be its own unique commit of the openWRT project. Even if you wanted to use a "stable" release (i.e. 18.06.2, 18.06.4), The add-in packages can still change and required re-compilation. Since Modemmanager is not a standard add-in package for openWRT, you have no choice but to "roll your own", so to speak, and it requires a unique build for each platform.

So...back to your question, can you install at a later date? Yes, IF you compiled the libs and the MM package at the same time you created your firmware image.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know....I'm sure I can confuse you further.

Jim
joshhighley

Post by joshhighley »

I was hoping there was a 3rd party package repo with modemmanager
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

THIS may be a good starting place to rolling your own.
jim.vanator

Post by jim.vanator »

joshhighley wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:16 pm I was hoping there was a 3rd party package repo with modemmanager
It still has to be compiled with the specific kernel and overall openwrt "commit" that you are using. There's no such thing as one size fits all in this world.
BillA

Post by BillA »

swwifty wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:52 pm Yes, I believe so. I want to try this myself soon, just haven't had the time yet. I plan to do a guide in the future when I do this.

Here's some more info about ModemManager
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ModemManager/
And a repo with the latest files
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/ModemManager/

If anyone gets it to work on a ZBT router, please about it.

Return to “Firmware”