Multiple LTE Modems

This a discussion place for anything related to wireless
swwifty

Multiple LTE Modems

Post by swwifty »

I think mostly everyone here knows my setup, but I have an extensive outdoor setup that I've used for almost a year now.

I have a AT&T sim and Verizon sim that both work. My outdoor antennas are aimed in a direction that picks up Verizon and AT&T just fine (they are on separate towers, but in nearly the same direction only a few degrees off).

I'm wondering if I can just pickup another Sierra modem, put it in my outdoor NEMA enclosure and attach it to my pi running GoldenOrb. The questions I have though are:

1. How would the cabling work for this? I see there are tons of RF splitters out there, but I don't know if I can use them with a setup like this and not fry something.

2. It looks like GoldenOrb supports multiple connected modems, but how does it handle/balance the traffic? Is it fail over only or can it treat them as separate connections that I can balance traffic over?

Thanks to anyone that has input on this. Hoping I don't have to figure this entirely out on my own lol.
swwifty

Re: Multiple LTE Modems

Post by swwifty »

I think two of these would work to split the signal from each antenna into two different modems: https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=rfps-2c-43f

Also found openwrt supports this: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/net ... iwan/mwan3 which is "Load balancing" in the Luci web UI.

May have answered my own questions.... heh
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

I found this thread: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=46 while looking for more info on splitters. It seems these would work.

I tried today plugging in two MC7455 modems. GoldenOrb seems them, but I cannot get either of them to connect. I setup custom connection profiles that matched the Modem IMEI and the SIM card number, and it wouldn't connect at all. No idea what's up with that, debating if I really want to try and go down this road, but it would save me about 75 bucks a month if I could ditch my DSL.
BillA

Post by BillA »

swwifty wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm I found this thread: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=46 while looking for more info on splitters. It seems these would work.

I tried today plugging in two MC7455 modems. GoldenOrb seems them, but I cannot get either of them to connect. I setup custom connection profiles that matched the Modem IMEI and the SIM card number, and it wouldn't connect at all. No idea what's up with that, debating if I really want to try and go down this road, but it would save me about 75 bucks a month if I could ditch my DSL.

You may want to look for any package conflicts, such as:
"Ensure no other multiple WAN package is installed such as multiwan – having multiwan installed at the same time as mwan3 is known not to work."

I was wondering if channel-bonding (binding multiple connections into one speedier one) would be possible, and how to enable it.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

BillA wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:59 pm You may want to look for any package conflicts, such as:
"Ensure no other multiple WAN package is installed such as multiwan – having multiwan installed at the same time as mwan3 is known not to work."

I was wondering if channel-bonding (binding multiple connections into one speedier one) would be possible, and how to enable it.
I haven't explored this too much more. I gave it a shot, and ran into issues but didn't explore further.

I sold my extra modem too, so I don't have another one to experiment with.

I might buy another one as I'm considering ditching my DSL entirely and just using two 4G connections.
BillA

Post by BillA »

swwifty wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:13 pm I haven't explored this too much more. I gave it a shot, and ran into issues but didn't explore further.

I sold my extra modem too, so I don't have another one to experiment with.

I might buy another one as I'm considering ditching my DSL entirely and just using two 4G connections.

For testing purposes you could use your cell phone tethered via usb to the router as the secondary internet source. All you have to do on the phone is go to Settings > Mobile > Tethering > Enable USB Tethering, then on the router set it up under Network settings, and use the mwan3 setup. Let us know if you get a chance to play around with it.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

BillA wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:18 pm For testing purposes you could use your cell phone tethered via usb to the router as the secondary internet source. All you have to do on the phone is go to Settings > Mobile > Tethering > Enable USB Tethering, then on the router set it up under Network settings, and use the mwan3 setup. Let us know if you get a chance to play around with it.
Good point, but I'd have to have my phone outside in the enclosure the PI is in! lol.

I'll let everyone know if I get around to messing with this.
BillA

Post by BillA »

swwifty wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:20 pm Good point, but I'd have to have my phone outside in the enclosure the PI is in! lol.

I'll let everyone know if I get around to messing with this.
Oh right, you have all your gear up on the roof in an box. Hmmm... so the purpose of putting everything up there is to minimize the RF signal loss in a long coax cable run, but then you could just put the radio modem up there by itself with a long active usb extension cable (though you'll need to run a separate power line for the radio) running into your home where you could have all your router/PI/etc gear nice and warm (lol). The idea behind this setup, is that the less electronics is up in the rooftop box, the less chances of failure, easier access for mods, repairs, and testing purposes. Just a thought. ;)
SliverGT
Has thanked: 0

Post by SliverGT »

Has anyone successfully done this? I’ve been thinking about using a long usb cable for the modem. I would prefer having the router inside and use a Wrt3200acm vs a RPi. Mine would need to be about 40’.
BillA

Post by BillA »

SliverGT wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:22 pm Has anyone successfully done this? I’ve been thinking about using a long usb cable for the modem. I would prefer having the router inside and use a Wrt3200acm vs a RPi. Mine would need to be about 40’.

Yes it works, I'm using the first option below at 20 meters length. There are several ways to extend the usb cable:

1. Use as many 5 meter (16 feet) long "active usb extension cables" daisy chained together as you need (max is around 50 meters total). You probably won't get usb 3.0 speeds, but even at 2.0 is plenty fast to carry the modem's data (up to 400Mbps). Then you can connect the modem's usb extension cable either to the router's usb connector, or internally using a usb to mPCIe/M.2 adapter. The only drawback of this method is that you will need to run a dedicated power cable to the remote modem.

2. Use a usb to ethernet extension box on both ends connected together by cheap CAT-5 or CAT-6 ethernet cable (max is around 100 meters). Then you can connect the modem's usb extension cable either to the router's usb connector, or internally using a usb to mPCIe/M.2 adapter. Also, you could power the modem and the usb to ethernet extension box through a POE setup to avoid having to run a power cable too.

3. Use a cheap ($25) modem to ethernet converter box such as the GL-iNet MT300N (https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt300n-v2/), to connect the MT300N's LAN output through a long ethernet cable to the router's WAN input. For additional features you could even reflash the MT300N with OpenWRT or GoldenOrb firmware (it's actually supported). Also, you could power the modem and the MT300N box through a POE setup to avoid having to run a power cable too.

So there you have it, pick your poison. ;)
SliverGT
Has thanked: 0

Post by SliverGT »

Thanks for the response.
1. A 16 foot cable is not quite long enough to get me inside the house so rain would be an issue for the USB connector. What kind of power cable are you using for the modem?

2. This option would work for me. I wonder how reliable these extension boxes are and how much latency if they add?

3. This option would also work for me. Do you know if this device can be configured in bridge mode to do ip passthrough and avoid a double NAT situation? That's one of the things I don't like about the RPi running GoldenOrb, it doesn't support bridge mode.
BillA

Post by BillA »

SliverGT wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:20 am Thanks for the response.
1. A 16 foot cable is not quite long enough to get me inside the house so rain would be an issue for the USB connector. What kind of power cable are you using for the modem?

2. This option would work for me. I wonder how reliable these extension boxes are and how much latency if they add?

3. This option would also work for me. Do you know if this device can be configured in bridge mode to do ip passthrough and avoid a double NAT situation? That's one of the things I don't like about the RPi running GoldenOrb, it doesn't support bridge mode.

1. I have 4x 16 foot active usb extension cords daisy chained, and I used self-fusing rubber tape to make the connections both solid and water tight. I just ran a 110V extension cord to the remote modem, and plugged in a 5V 2.5Amp power adapter.

2. Not sure about the usb to ethernet extension's latency, my guess would be probably low as long as you use high quality CAT-6 cable. The advantage of this method is that you could use the ethernet cable for POE purposes at the same time, eliminating the need to run a power cable.

3. Absolutely, that tiny MT300N box can do just about anything, router, bridge, signal extender, and tether a phone or modem to convert its data to either ethernet or WiFi. For additional features you could even reflash the MT300N with OpenWRT or GoldenOrb firmware (it's actually supported). GL-iNet has other similar sized boxes with both 2.4 and 5Ghz WiFi capability, and small stubby antennas for even better and more reliable connection.
And that has actually popped a new idea to mind, having two MT300N's in bridge mode, one at the remote modem, and a second one at the main router connected to its WAN input, you could use it as a regular WiFi bridge eliminating the need for wires altogether, other than the 5-12V power to the modem and the MT300N box. Heck, you could even configure your main router to simply take the WiFi data from the modem though just one MT300N and rebroadcast it in the home.
Hmmm... I might just try that... fun, fun, fun. As far as latency, as long as the two bridge boxes are relatively close, latency should be fairly low, course only testing will tell for sure. ;)
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

BillA wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:06 pm Oh right, you have all your gear up on the roof in an box. Hmmm... so the purpose of putting everything up there is to minimize the RF signal loss in a long coax cable run, but then you could just put the radio modem up there by itself with a long active usb extension cable (though you'll need to run a separate power line for the radio) running into your home where you could have all your router/PI/etc gear nice and warm (lol). The idea behind this setup, is that the less electronics is up in the rooftop box, the less chances of failure, easier access for mods, repairs, and testing purposes. Just a thought. ;)
The point for me having the second modem up there is so I can use the external antennas for both SIM cards (carriers).

I'm not gonna bother with a USB cable, I already ran multiple ethernet cables, and no reason to have the equipment inside. it can operate just fine in the cold or hot!
BillA

Post by BillA »

swwifty wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:20 pm The point for me having the second modem up there is so I can use the external antennas for both SIM cards (carriers).

I'm not gonna bother with a USB cable, I already ran multiple ethernet cables, and no reason to have the equipment inside. it can operate just fine in the cold or hot!

Noone's forcing you to, I just wrote about the options for those who may want to consider it. ;)
The whole idea behind it, is for those who prefer the main router to be inside the home for easier access for testing, tweaking, etc.
I have a question for you, by running a diag command on both the modem and PI/router, have you noticed the temperature dangerously high in a summer heat wave? Cold shouldn't affect much (since electrons love the cold;), but I'm thinking maybe heat could affect/damage some of the delicate electronics, or it has enough ventilation holes?
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

BillA wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:48 am Noone's forcing you to, I just wrote about the options for those who may want to consider it. ;)
The whole idea behind it, is for those who prefer the main router to be inside the home for easier access for testing, tweaking, etc.
I have a question for you, by running a diag command on both the modem and PI/router, have you noticed the temperature dangerously high in a summer heat wave? Cold shouldn't affect much (since electrons love the cold;), but I'm thinking maybe heat could affect/damage some of the delicate electronics, or it has enough ventilation holes?
The heat hasn't been an issue here, and it gets up to 90 degrees here outside in the summer.

The modem will get about 150 degrees Fahrenheit, which is still about 30 degrees below its operating specs.

I have no extra holes in the enclosure for ventilation.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

BillA wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:48 am I have a question for you, by running a diag command on both the modem and PI/router, have you noticed the temperature dangerously high in a summer heat wave? Cold shouldn't affect much (since electrons love the cold;), but I'm thinking maybe heat could affect/damage some of the delicate electronics, or it has enough ventilation holes?
Most all of our equipment is mounted externally in an antenna enclosure, and have been operating that away for years.

We have never had a problem with overheating and we are outside of Dallas where it can be punishing at times. Of course, our antenna enclosures have a lot of room inside where heat buildup is not an issue.

Also, I would not recommend ventilating an enclosure (less using some type of elaborate system). Generally, anywhere heat can exhaust, moisture can enter.
BillA

Post by BillA »

JimHelms wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:59 am Most all of our equipment is mounted externally in an antenna enclosure, and have been operating that away for years.

We have never had a problem with overheating and we are outside of Dallas where it can be punishing at times. Of course, our antenna enclosures have a lot of room inside where heat buildup is not an issue.

Also, I would not recommend ventilating an enclosure (less using some type of elaborate system). Generally, anywhere heat can exhaust, moisture can enter.

Good to know, my only concern would be a heat wave when it gets above 120 with the trapped heat (Texas/Florida comes to mind;). Guess the white box helps repel the sun's waves somewhat.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

BillA wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:40 pm Good to know, my only concern would be a heat wave when it gets above 120 (Texas/Florida comes to mind;).
We are jest outside of Dallas, about as close to Texas as one can get.

Return to “OPEN | UNCLASSIFIED”